Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Gold Rush has such potential but it's just flawed.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-12, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm catching up on the latest 2 episodes and I find myself fast forwarding through most of it as I know the formula now. I've seen them all but especially this season they do the same gimmick. This part is broken, it will end their season, and of course you know it won't end but they spend 6 minutes on the repair which is pointless. It's not even repairs, which probably takes them an hour or two to easily fix, but somehow they can make that "fatal" hiccup with a machine into so many segments, but now they are reaching for oh, the ice is melting so you're done for the season to bridges too.

I know they can't have action like deadliest catch, but they need to focus more on the actual getting gold than the random broken part. I guess next week is the finally? I'm on ep 6 (7 is the latest), and only 1 out of the 3 guys they focus on are actually mining.

I understand that they want to do a rags to riches type of thing but it's getting boring. Discovery should have been smart enough to have Parker work at that REAL operation last year, with the crazy owner with the cute daughter. That way we can see how it's actually done instead of these idiots who lucked out that Discovery flipped the bill for most of the costs.
Old 12-10-12, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Gold Rush has such potential but it's just flawed.

Do they use the same narrator as Ice Road Truckers?

I've recently gotten into Moonshiners however it does have the same narrator and creates drama where there is none.

"And coming up, one Moonshiner goes down." When they come back from the break they show one they've never followed deciding to quit.
Old 12-10-12, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

No it's a different narrator.

I just find it incredible how much incompetence is on display. These guys are clueless. At some point, shouldn't a pro show up?

Back when Discovery had message boards, many of the people there wanted Tony Beets to have a show, because he was obviously so good. Never gonna happen, though. After a while, someone with a smooth running operation would get boring.
Old 12-11-12, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Needs more glory holes.
Old 12-11-12, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
I just find it incredible how much incompetence is on display. These guys are clueless. At some point, shouldn't a pro show up?
You didn't watch last season, did you? The Hoffman's look like seasoned pros compared to what they were doing in season 1. That kid Parker seems to have his shit together better than any of them.
Old 12-11-12, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hate every person on the show and watch it only to see them fail, even though I know it's all fake. I do love the dramatic patriotic sounding music though....do they really think people are rooting for these fools?
Old 12-11-12, 10:22 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't bring myself to even watch again this year. Wasn't there yet another promise for one of them to "hit it big" this season"?? Oh wait, that was about every previous season.

Hey have to give it to the Hoffman crew members as they have turned failing business/near bankruptcy into new careers. I still think they look like near idiots but I suspect fairly wealthy ones now.
Old 12-11-12, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How are they near bankruptcy when they get paid by the network? Theres no way in hell they would have families after losing everything in seasons 1, 2, and wait for it..........season 3.
Old 12-12-12, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The show is so scripted they probably only work an hour a day and have hired help to clear the land so it looks like they worked all night.
Old 12-12-12, 03:33 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
How are they near bankruptcy when they get paid by the network? Theres no way in hell they would have families after losing everything in seasons 1, 2, and wait for it..........season 3.
That's what I meant. Show premise was the down on their luck guys deciding to "Pull themselves up by their bootstraps" and take the ultimate chance by heading North and gold mine. It was their last chance as they were like minutes away from losing everything. Well, instead of becoming successful Gold miners they became "celebrities" and now make their living that way.
Old 12-12-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jungle Gold is worse.
Old 03-03-13, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A little late on this, but did anyone see the finale? It was done live from a studio in Oregon. Fred Hurt scored 153 ounces for $260,000 and said he's moving to a new location next season. Parker Schnable scored 161 Ounces for $307,000 and said he was moving his operations to near Tony Beets, which means Tony will be more prominent next season. That can only be a good thing. Todd got 803 ounces for $1.28 million and said he's going to South America for next season.

A few of Todd's crew aren't coming back. I wish Todd wasn't coming back. They should let Dave Turin run it.

What was real cool was they took all the raw gold and melted it down into small ingots. The gold bars looked beautiful when processed.

Discovery also surprised the audience with an appearance by 93-year-old John Schnable, who got a standing ovation.
Old 03-03-13, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I can safely say that I'm through with the show. Todd is such a fuck up that I wonder can anybody see beyond this bullshit. In the real world, what company or invester would let that man make million dollar decisions? No one. Pull away that veil and there really isn't a show. I like the Schnable's but this past season was the worst when it came to new footage. With the commercial and the endless recaps, including recaps of footage before the last commercial break, they probably showed 20-25 minutes of new footage per hour timeslot. I can just read the recaps online if interested.

Those bars were gorgeous!
Old 03-03-13, 10:55 PM

As a recreational gold prospector, and member of the Gold Prospectors Association of America, I can pretty much say that these guy are considered the bottom of the barrel. Not only in their lack of knowledge, but the rampant destruction of the natural ecosystems where they "dig."
Old 03-03-13, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disappointing finale after all the talk of the "mother lode." The show has become nothing but filler. And the constant complaining about the production team by the gold miners has gotten old. You signed on to the show, you took a check, shut up. And don't blame the camera crew for making you look stupid, they're only video taping what you do.
Old 03-04-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Astrofan
As a recreational gold prospector, and member of the Gold Prospectors Association of America, I can pretty much say that these guy are considered the bottom of the barrel. Not only in their lack of knowledge, but the rampant destruction of the natural ecosystems where they "dig."
There's prospecting in Carlsbad? Do tell.

And one thing Todd has complained about on Facebook is that the show doesn't show the effort they make at cleaning up after they are done.
Old 03-05-13, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Traxan
There's prospecting in Carlsbad? Do tell.
Er, we use one of those new fangled motorized vehicles to travel to locations with gold. You'll find us at the East Fork in the San Gabriel mountains and out with a drywasher near Barstow and other desert locations. Only found specks and a couple of "pickers", but we've never been skunked.
Old 03-05-13, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They should show him logging on to Facebook.