Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Most Disappointing Albums of 2012

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so we've got the "Best Albums of 2012" thread going, but what album, or albums, were you most disappointed in? What album were you looking forward too, that for whatever reason, ended up being a let down to you?

I don't want this to turn into a "This band/album sucks" thing, but am more genuinely curious to know what others thought about why a release may not have connected with them.

For me, this year I've got at least two I can think of right off the bat. While not terrible records by any means, these didn't make the grade for me, either...

The XX - Coexist - Was really looking forward to this one, but could just not get into it. I think perhaps it was a bit too minimalist. Just came off as one note. I also thought it lacked most of the elements I loved about their debut. With that album, I could pop it in almost any time and enjoy it, however with this one, it's something I'd really have to be in a mood to listen to. I just didn't find myself doing that much, and barely spun it after the first few primary listens.

Band Of Horses - Mirage Rock, this is a band where I've loved all of their previous output, but this album was not clicking with me. The production was a little too dry and flat for my tastes, which was surprising considering they actually had a big name producer for the first time in Glyn Johns. I didn't think the songs were there, either. There were no epic, big sounding tunes, and the rest weren't that memorable. Ironically, the bonus disc that came with the deluxe edition of the album - "The Sonic Ranch Sessions", which was the music they essentially scrapped in favor of the album they released - was far more interesting.
Old 12-09-12, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Most Disappointing Albums of 2012

I have a few...

Madonna - MDNA, not that I thought her last one was very good either, but would have been nice to be closer to "Confessions" quality. This one is pretty bad. (At least the next two are listenable)

The Killers - Battle Born, maybe I just need to give it a better chance, but so far not loving it.

No Doubt - Push and Shove, I like this the best out of these three, and overall I like it, just disappointed that this is what we got after 11 years. Should have been stronger.
Old 12-09-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I have a few...

The Killers - Battle Born, maybe I just need to give it a better chance, but so far not loving it.

No Doubt - Push and Shove, I like this the best out of these three, and overall I like it, just disappointed that this is what we got after 11 years. Should have been stronger.
Yep, I'd add these two to my list for the same reasons. As well as ...

Ben Folds Five - The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind, for also just being kind of "mehw", after the long absence of a Ben Folds Five release.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 12-09-12 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-09-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Am I the only one disappointed by Rush's latest?
Old 12-09-12, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Rush - Clockwork Angels
Muse - 2nd Law
Soundgarden - King Animal
Old 12-09-12, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Traxan
I found it lacking in anything that even remotely sounded like a "hit" of old, but otherwise, it was still one of the hardest rocking things they've ever done.

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Sadly, I haven't even listened to the album yet.
Old 12-09-12, 02:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lana Del Rey: Born To Die

I loved her Blue Jeans and Video Games singles. The album was nowhere near that level of quality. Most of it was totally generic pop. I still think that with stronger collaborators she could do something more interesting than what we got.
Old 12-09-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

It didn't surprise me much but both of Green Day's new albums, Uno and Dos were disappointing to me. Particularly Dos I didn't care for. I wanted to like the albums and was a little excited for them when they announced they were moving away from the rock opera style albums of American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown but overall these albums have just been so-so. Maybe Tre will be better but still.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-09-12 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-09-12, 05:17 PM
Banned by request

Oh, and Sun by Cat Power didn't do much for me. And I've been listening to her since What Would The Community Think?
Old 12-09-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Oh, and Sun by Cat Power didn't do much for me.
Agreed.

I don't mind her changing things up, but it's just not my thing.
Old 12-09-12, 10:21 PM
Banned by request

I wag my finger at any artist that can sing and chooses to use autotune. Granted, Cat Power used it subtly, but it was still jarring. Similarly, John Cale's new album is just soaked in autotune and I cannot fathom why. Sounds like shit.
Old 12-09-12, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bes thing they've done since the 80s. I like every cut.
Old 12-10-12, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I have a few...

Madonna - MDNA, not that I thought her last one was very good either, but would have been nice to be closer to "Confessions" quality. This one is pretty bad. (At least the next two are listenable)

Same 2 for me.
Old 12-10-12, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

re: Soundgarden - King Animal

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Sadly, I haven't even listened to the album yet.
I haven't also but will soon...
Old 12-10-12, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Rush - Clockwork Angels
Muse - 2nd Law
I actually am really enjoying all of these releases, especially Soundgarden. This is a grower to me, but having listened to it a few times it is a very logical progression of where they should go after "Down on the Upside".
Old 12-10-12, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Muse and Lana Del Rey. Muse hurt the most.
Old 12-10-12, 09:03 AM

Mars Volta - Noctourniquet
Old 12-10-12, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

And I'd add MDNA, except I sort of expected it to suck so I can't really categorize it as disappointing.

Oh, and the new Rhianna album is awful. Her slide continues.
Old 12-10-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No Doubt - Push and Shove

This one hurts the most because I was so excited for it, and it turned out to be just horrible. Settle Down was the only song that I liked, and even it was just ok.
Old 12-10-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Torche - Harmonicraft - huge letdown after the instant classic "Meanderthal". This band was just maturing a hook-filled metal/punk/pop fusion that seemed primed to explode. I really thought they could have been huge. Instead, they went nowhere. I waited for years for this thing and it sounds like warmed over Foo Fighters.

Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, MAAD City - probably the most critically acclaimed record of the year. I was looking forward to hearing it. I don't get it. Sophomoric, supposedly clever, sarcastic-but-not-really "gangsta" cliches over tired beats. Tried to get through the whole thing four times, gave up.

Grizzly Bear - Shields - I really liked their earlier stuff and this one initially sounded good. The more I listened, the more it descended into indie-rock bullshit, pretention and pointless noise. Get over yourselves, guys.

All electronica - I didn't hear a single good electronica album this year. This is not for lack of trying. Everything from experimental (Flying Lotus) to dance-oriented (Boys Noize) to indie-pop electronica (Dan Deacon) let me down. The entire genre (if you can call it that) just seems stalled and exhausted. Also, dubstep sucks.

Edit: just heard Memory Tapes "Grace/Confusion" which came out last week. First good electronic album of 2012 I've heard.

Alabama Shakes - Boys and Girls - came into this year on a tidal wave of hype as a live act. Supposedly Drive-by Tuckers Southern gothic with a heavy classic soul influence. Right up my alley, I thought. Instead what I heard was a bland Black Crowes-style roots rock LP with a generic blues belter on vocals. A perfectly boring record.

Last edited by Hiro11; 12-10-12 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-10-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Without a doubt, No Doubt and The Killers. Awful records. And boring.

I can understand why many weren't thrilled with Muse. However, it DOES get better with each subsequent listen, trust me. I'm not one to give albums more than two tries/attempts but these guys certainly deserve that courtesy. It's not a perfect record by any means, but you understand it (ie. conceptually) more with each spin also.
Old 12-10-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

No, you're not.

It's good, but it all just blends together.
Old 12-10-12, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts

I haven't listened to Born To Die yet, but I understand that half of it is crap.
Old 12-10-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only album I wanted to like but was disappointed in was the new Best Coast.
Old 12-10-12, 05:57 PM

Maybe I'm crazy, but so far Love This Giant hasn't done much for me. I am a huge fan of David Byrne and Annie Clark and thought this would be gold. But I just can't get into it nearly as deep as I'd like. I'm still hoping it will grow on me...

Funny enough, The XX and Band of a Horses were also two I was going to note. I can take or leave The XX, but BOH is a band that, while I don't expect anything ground breaking from them(save for their first album - which was wonderful), I still always expect slick choruses, oozy harmonies and solid, listenable tunes from. Mirage Rock is kinda - embarrassing at times. Dumpster World comes to mind as a song with pretty laughable lyrics... Though admittedly it's one of the tracks on the album I listen to. Still makes me wince a bit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.