Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Marina and the Diamonds

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Marina and the Diamonds

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Marina and the Diamonds

Anyone listening to her? I came across her song "Heartbreaker" after looking up some Lily Allen youtube videos. It was surprisingly good, and after hearing only a handful of songs I had ordered the cd right away.

Pissed off to learn that some of the songs I heard are UK exclusives like Lonely Hearts Club and Living Dead. But after listening to the album I don't mind the missing UK exclusives. The album is great all the way through except for maybe 1 song I wasn't too happy with, not that it wasn't good but it was a little TOO mainstream pop.

I'm surprised that she isn't bigger over here.
Old 11-23-12, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Marina and the Diamonds

I love both albums, listen to her all the time.
Old 11-28-12, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie

Anyone listening to her? I came across her song "Heartbreaker" after looking up some Lily Allen youtube videos. It was surprisingly good, and after hearing only a handful of songs I had ordered the cd right away.

Pissed off to learn that some of the songs I heard are UK exclusives like Lonely Hearts Club and Living Dead. But after listening to the album I don't mind the missing UK exclusives. The album is great all the way through except for maybe 1 song I wasn't too happy with, not that it wasn't good but it was a little TOO mainstream pop.

I'm surprised that she isn't bigger over here.
she's been selling out the large club circuit (her show in august at the 9:30 club ended up selling out before "Electra Heart" had been released here. and everyone knew every word to every song, & she did play Living Things as well which as you mentioned is a UK exclusive
Old 12-04-12, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have covered her twice. Both in July I think. I was surprised at how rabid her fans are. Her record release party were stuffy industry execs but her show at Webster Hall was sold out, packed and her fans were rabid.

She is playing Terminal 5 here on Thursday and I should be covering it as well. Fairly large club about 3x the size at Webster Hall. I am curious as to the showing for that night.

I like her. I liked her record release party which was a very stripped down version of her much more than her "show" a night or 2 later.
Old 12-06-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

That Primadonna song does not impress me and sounds like the flavor of the month.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Gj5L9SYhoSE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-07-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I like the song but it's not the best on that album.

Heartbreaker, Living Dead, Valley of the Dolls, Sex Yeah, Power & Control are my favorites.

Last edited by brayzie; 12-08-12 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-08-12, 12:53 AM

"Primadonna" is pretty clearly meant to sound like fluffy pop. But I also have an acoustic version of that song where you can really tell how unique of a singer she is.

I like Electra Heart, but I think my favorite Marina song is still "I Am Not a Robot":

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S_oMD6-6q5Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-12-12, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I do like her better as a brunette.

More photos from her show at Terminal 5