Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

R.I.P. Jimmy Smith of "Ax Men"

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
R.I.P. Jimmy Smith of "Ax Men"

His behavior was pretty disgraceful and his constant screaming at his son was inexcusible, but death is death. Hope he made peace with his kid, assuming it wasn't all staged. No cause off death is known yet.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...Rid=100053327&

And from a WA newspaper:

(Axe Men) James Frank "Jimmy" Smith, 56, a resident of Cle Elum and a former resident of Leavenworth and North Bend, died Thursday November 01, 2012 in Wenatchee.

Jimmy was born on May 03, 1956 to James H. and Leah (Wilson) Smith in Leavenworth. Jimmy spent his early life in Leavenworth and later North Bend where he attended school. He enlisted in the United States Army and after being discharged he returned to North Bend and married Sandra Jackson; Jimmy moved to Farmington, Washington and attended Big Bend Community College. He later moved back to North Bend and later to Cle Elum where he worked as a carpenter until starting S&S Aqua Logging with son James L. Smith. Jimmy was very proud of the fact that for the last five years they were featured on the History Channels TV series "Axe Men".

Jimmy loved hunting, fishing, his dogs, his family and "Axe Men" Logging. He was an avid outdoorsman and was well prepared for the future.

He is survived by his mother, Leah Smith (Ken Buzard) of Wenatchee; his sons, Chad Smith of Seattle and James Smith of Michigan; brother, rob Smith of Leavenworth and sisters, Sylvia Adams-Lance (Mark), Gloria Smith-Williams both of Leavenworth and Rebecca Forsyth (Brian) of Everett; his good friends who helped take care of him, Ken Morgan, Tim Skagen, Scott Burke and Larry Wade and many aunts, uncles nieces, nephews and cousins. Jimmy was preceded in death by his father, James H. Smith; daughter, Katherine Marie Smith and his grandparents, Dud and Viola Wilson and R.R. and Bessie Smith.

A Memorial service of Commemoration to celebrate the life of James Frank "Jimmy" Smith will be held on Saturday November 17, 2012 at 11:00 a.m. at Mt. View Cemetery on Icicle Road in Leavenworth. Visitation will be held on November 12th and 13th at Ward's Funeral Chapel, 303 Pine Street, Leavenworth from 1 to 6 p.m. Memorial contributions may be made in Jimmy's name to "Our House" Cancer Care of North Central Washington at 1708 Castle Rock Street, Wenatchee, WA. 98801 or your local Humane Society.

Ward's Funeral Chapel, Leavenworth is in charge of the arrangements
Old 11-21-12, 04:19 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: R.I.P. Jimmy Smith of "Ax Men"

pretty sure he died jogging.
Old 12-17-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ax Men has started and he died of cancer. He was living in Florida and son James briefly left the river to see his father at the oncologist. You could see he was already wasting away badly. The doctor gestured to his stomach, so it's some kind of abdominal cancer. He said Jimmy had at best six months.

It was a completely different Jimmy. The bluster and screaming were all gone. All he had now was the sober realization he has months to live. The time for the act was up, I guess.
Old 12-19-12, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They mentioned in the first episode he had a tumor the size of a grapefruit on his Gall Bladder.
Old 12-19-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He was great on NYPD Blue and the West Wing.
Old 12-19-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ah I missed the first episode.
Old 12-19-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Traxan
Ah I missed the first episode.
His appearance was shocking.
Old 01-07-13, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last night's episode was partially heart wrenching. He went out on the boat with his former rival in a log hunt. You could tell they were all going for one last run and bygones were forgotten in the face of Jimmy's obvious wasting condition. Jimmy is so different from before. Obviously the weight of the situation is weighing on him. He's quiet, patient and calm. No screaming or hysterics. James seems to be taking over on that role, sadly.

On the other hand, the behavior of some of these lumberjacks is a disgrace to the profession and downright criminal in some cases. I mean, Craig Rygaard targeted DJ to HIT him with a tree. DJ should have throttled him.

The show isn't worth watching except for Shelby, and now Jimmy Smith's final days.