Reload this Page >

Starz fires "Boss" after two seasons.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-20-12, 02:10 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kelsey Grammer's ruthless Chicago mayor has met his match: Starz, which has opted not to move forward with its political drama Boss after two seasons.
"After much deliberation, we have made the difficult decision to not proceed with [a third season of] Boss," Starz said in a statement Tuesday. "We remain proud of this award-winning show, its exceptional cast and writers, and are grateful to Kelsey Grammer, [creator] Farhad Safinia and our partners at Lionsgate TV."
Starz president Chris Albrecht picked up Boss straight to series, bypassing the traditional pilot stage. The latter is part of Albrecht's larger brand-building strategy for the HBO and Showtime rival, which also includes bold bets and a focus on cinematic dramas over half-hour comedies.

The series, which earned a Golden Globe nomination for best drama and an acting win for Grammer, drew 659,000 total viewers to its original October 2011 premiere en route to 1.72 million overall over its first weekend, falling shy of recent scripted launches. Season two returned down from its freshman run with a mere 317,000 viewers, ending in October with a season high of 440,000 viewers. The Lionsgate TV drama's sophomore season averaged 937,000 viewers when factoring in multiple premiere weekend airings, down from its first-year average of 1.1 million. Worth noting, Magic City -- which Starz produced in-house -- outperformed seasons one and two of Boss, averaging 1.25 million in its freshman run.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...anceled-393242
Old 11-20-12, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: Starz fires "Boss" after two seasons.

Old 11-20-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

FuuuuuuucK!!!!!

Yet another unfinished story.
Old 11-20-12, 02:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damnit.
Old 11-20-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I haven't seen Season 2 yet...did it end with another cliffhanger?

STARZ has a horrible record of axing shows (I still can't believe they gave up on Camelot after one year...it wasn't that bad).

I wonder if this has more to do with Kelsey's recent behavior than the show itself. Maybe he just became too difficult to bother with.
Old 11-20-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

They said they may do a movie, but we all know how often those work out.
Old 11-20-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Maybe DirecTV will pull a hail mary and pick it up like they did with FNL and Damages.
Old 11-20-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't understand why this show didn't get better numbers - sad to see it go.
Old 11-20-12, 03:40 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I still have season 2 queued on my DVR (and still plan to watch it despite news of its cancellation).
Old 11-20-12, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
They said they may do a movie, but we all know how often those work out.
Yeah, I'm still waiting for those DEADWOOD and ROME films.
Old 11-20-12, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yeah, I'm still waiting for those DEADWOOD and ROME films.
Quit rubbing salt in my wounds...
Old 11-20-12, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This news isn't unexpected given the ratings, but it's still a loss of a quality show.

I don't see why Rome needs a film. It's history and there are many films about the time period. It's not like it's a mystery how things turn out. For me, Rome was a miniseries that was supposed to end after Season 1, but they gave us a bonus Season 2. I'm glad.

Deadwood? It was good, but I don't feel like I need a movie to tie anything up. There's no overriding mystery we need an ending to.

Likewise for Boss. There were no big mysteries here. The seasons were pretty self-contained. If we want more jut because we want more, I understand that. But we don't need more to tie up the story.

BTW, as we're mourning the loss of entertaining shows, let me add Carnivale to the list. I think I feel slight pangs of sadness everytime I think about that one.
Old 11-20-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Didn't Deadwood end with Hearst on the verge of taking over the whole town? But in any case I can always do with more Deadwood.

Rome...that was concluded on a good note. But instead of 2 seasons, it should have (and was planned) on being more. Skipping 7 years from one episode to the next is not always the best solution.
Old 11-20-12, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This sucks. So much for premium cable letting good shows develop...
Old 11-20-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Maybe DirecTV will pull a hail mary and pick it up like they did with FNL and Damages.
The cast has already all pretty much signed on to new gigs.
Old 11-20-12, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You know what COULD have saved the show? If they had made it available to watch on iTunes. Based on all the critical acclaim, I would have paid for it. I don't know anyone who subscribes to Starz. I don't understand why all these cable companies insist on limiting their potential audience. If they were that close to cutting the show, why not perform a little experiment and open it up to iTunes or Amazon. Or cut a deal with Netflix/Hulu?
Old 11-20-12, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I have Starz and thought it was a fantastic show. One of their best original productions.

At least they still have Magic City along with Spartacus' final season. Plus, I'm interested in David S. Goyer's new show Davinci's Demons, which premieres in the Spring.

Hopefully they work on developing something for next Fall.
Old 11-20-12, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by hahn
You know what COULD have saved the show? If they had made it available to watch on iTunes. Based on all the critical acclaim, I would have paid for it. I don't know anyone who subscribes to Starz. I don't understand why all these cable companies insist on limiting their potential audience. If they were that close to cutting the show, why not perform a little experiment and open it up to iTunes or Amazon. Or cut a deal with Netflix/Hulu?
Starz only got into producing original scripted dramas about 3-4 years ago with Spartacus and a few other small shows. Spartacus is their highest rated show and it's ending after next season. They don't have the same subscriber base and money coming in like HBO and Showtime has. So, I think they are limited on the number of shows they can afford.
Old 11-20-12, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
Starz only got into producing original scripted dramas about 3-4 years ago with Spartacus and a few other small shows. Spartacus is their highest rated show and it's ending after next season. They don't have the same subscriber base and money coming in like HBO and Showtime has. So, I think they are limited on the number of shows they can afford.
That's what I meant. Why not sell your show out on the internet on Amazon or iTunes instead of only providing it for your subscribers which are very limited to begin with? Even if it means breaking some contract with the cable providers, break it. Or give up and shut down yet another show until you finally go bankrupt. What are the chances that Starz is going to survive if they don't have the resources or viewership to keep a unanimously praised show like Boss alive? Have some balls and make the show available for streaming!
Old 11-20-12, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Have some balls and make the show available for streaming!
http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/29/tech...tarz/index.htm

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...deal-ends.html

The contract they had with Netflix expired in February and Netflix passed on renewing. Talks actually broke off in November 2011. Starz wanted alot more money, which probably would have raised Netflix's subscription rates, so they passed on renewing.

I remember they would stream Spartacus, Torchwood, Crash the day after they aired on Starz. The 1st season of Boss was also on there. Then Starz instigated a 90 day delay once the talks broke off.

Edit:

Another reason why they passed on a 3rd season of Boss was that it's produced by a different studio (Lionsgate) Starz has to pay a licensing fee in addition to production costs. The ratings have to be really good for networks to renew a show not produced by them.

Spartacus and Magic City are both produced in house by Starz. Spartacus apparently makes alot of money overseas. Magic City was also sold to several international territories.

When shows like those are sold overseas, that also helps keeping them on the air.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-20-12 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-20-12, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/29/tech...tarz/index.htm

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...deal-ends.html

The contract they had with Netflix expired in February and Netflix passed on renewing. Talks actually broke off in November 2011. Starz wanted alot more money, which probably would have raised Netflix's subscription rates, so they passed on renewing.

I remember they would stream Spartacus, Torchwood, Crash the day after they aired on Starz. The 1st season of Boss was also on there. Then Starz instigated a 90 day delay once the talks broke off.
This is what makes me nuts about the content providers. They're freaking greedy. So instead of working out a compromise with Netflix that would've kept their revenue stream, they refused, lose their biggest source of eyeballs, and for what gain? It's not like someone else was waiting in line to give them a better offer. So all they did was shoot themselves in the foot for no good reason.
Old 11-20-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Boss was probably the best written show on television, but so few ever got a chance to watch it. I think Starz is looking for a breakout hit to draw subscribers and unfortunately Boss wasn't it. The Blu-ray edition for the first season is phenomenal:

http://www.doblu.com/2012/07/25/boss-season-one/
Old 11-20-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And my other question about a show like Boss is, why not sell it to another content provider who CAN afford to keep it afloat. With how much people AND critics liked this show, surely someone would have paid for the rights to the show - HBO? Hulu? Netflix? Amazon??
Old 11-21-12, 01:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

nooooooooo This sucks, Kelsey Grammar was amazing....sad to see it go. Just amazing writing.
Old 11-21-12, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

And my other question about a show like Boss is, why not sell it to another content provider who CAN afford to keep it afloat. With how much people AND critics liked this show, surely someone would have paid for the rights to the show - HBO? Hulu? Netflix? Amazon??
That raises the question: When is Amazon (and possibly Hulu) going to get into original programming? It seems like the next step, since Netflix is doing it with Lilyhammer and AD.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.