Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bringing a child / baby to the movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Can we take our 15-month-old daughter to an animated movie matinee on Black Friday?
Yes, you're in the clear / not creating that much more distraction.
16.67%
Do it and expect to justifiably hear it from patrons / management if she's disruptive.
23.33%
This is a terrible idea.
56.67%
If you choose "twikoff" you have to explain what it means. I still don't get it.
3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-12, 11:47 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Here's our specific scenario:

My wife and I want to see Wreck-It Ralph. We have a 15-month old daughter. We have no problem leaving her with a trusted babysitter if we catch an evening show. However, we're debating on whether bringing our daughter to the film with us would be not super distracting / somewhat distracting / "you're the devil" level of distracting if we specifically choose a matinee show on Black Friday at a theater in a mall. We figure it would mean there are a lot of kids and families, anyway, so perhaps there would be less of a chance of adding too much to what will likely already be Kid City.

So if we brought our daughter to a Black Friday matinee at the mall to see Wreck-It Ralph, are we pariahs or in the clear? If we do bring her, any tips? (I'm thinking sit as close to an exit as possible, for example.) Do you think the theater would charge us for her ticket?

Here's a side question:

How old was your child when you tried to take them to their first movie to actually watch and did he or she make it through? What was the movie? What about when you were a kid - what was your first movie and did you make it through?

Last edited by story; 11-19-12 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-19-12, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Bringing a child / baby to the movies

Kids movie + matinee = you're in the clear

Just don't hesitate to leave if she becomes restless.
Old 11-19-12, 11:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

When my wife and I went to see a 7:30pm screening of Finding Nemo 3D, there was a couple with their infant child about 4 seats to our left. Baby was no older than a year, but I'm guessing closer to 9 months. Anyway, throughout various parts of the movie, the baby would start to make noise, so the mother would hold it in front of her, bounce it up and down, and loudly go "shh shh shh shh shh shh." They DID take the baby out of the theatre a couple times, but not for long enough. I just don't understand why you'd bring a baby to a 3D movie (not YOU you... I mean this couple that we witnessed).

Aren't there specific screenings for parents to bring toddlers and babies to? My city has that. They play the movie a bit quieter than usual, and it's understood that parents can walk around with their babies and such.

I'm not sure how a 15-month old could/would behave in a theatre, but I definitely think under 12 months is too soon unless you're at one of those special screenings.
Old 11-20-12, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're better than most just for posing this question, and at least you're asking if you'd bring the kid to a matinee showing of a family movie. That would be your best bet, but if the kid gets agitated definitely bring outside right away.

Generally (not you) a fast way to annoy an entire audience is to bring a baby into a theatre. They usually talk at regular volume asking questions or start crying. Even with a family film, a lot of adults assume that they're only for kids and anybody over the age of 10 is too old to watch one of these. They don't realize that a 32-year old like myself is interested in seeing Wreck It Ralph, so you often see kids let loose at these movies. Even at later shows.
Old 11-20-12, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bring the kid, but if she gets riled up/disruptive, time to go.
Old 11-20-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

The first time I took my daughter to a movie, she was two (going on three) and the movie was RAINBOW BRITE AND THE STAR STEALERS. There was a scary lizard monster in one scene and she got upset and got up from her seat and headed for the exit--on her own! I had to gather up our coats (it was winter) and quickly follow.

When I took her to programs of old cartoons at repertory theaters in Manhattan later that year (she would have been three by this point), she was fine. But I'm sure I took her to a Disney film or two around that time as well.

When I was a kid, my mother took us to see CINDERELLA and had to take my sister out, a baby at the time, when she started crying, leaving me with my two older siblings (they would have been four and five). That would have been when I was two or three. I still find it hard to believe that I remember seeing CINDERELLA when I was that young.
Old 11-20-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

My son just turned two and I can't imagine taking him to a movie as it would be a miserable experience trying to keep him silent and in his seat. I'm sure there are 15 month olds that would remain seated and silent but I don't know your daughter so can't really answer for you.
Old 11-20-12, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

I have twin girls. They turned 3 in May. They watch movies at home. We tried to take them to the movies to see Brave this summer. We took them to a weekday matinee at 10 in the morning after it had already been out for over a month. I was hoping it would be lightly attended, but no such luck. It was pretty full. It did not go well.

Constantly asking to go to the bathroom, speaking at regular volume, yelling "I don't want to be quiet" when asked to be quiet, etc. We left about 20 minutes in because we didn't want to continue disturbing the other patrons. We were able to get our money back though. We'll probably try again next year, maybe when Monsters University comes out, they love Monsters Inc.

If you're prepared to leave if you have to, go ahead and take the baby, but if this is something you're really interested in seeing, and you're able to get a sitter, I would really reccomend doing that instead, for your enjoyment and the enjoyment of others. The kid is not going to get anything out of the experience at this age.
Old 11-20-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I have noticed some theaters do baby matinees -- though usually just during the summer, which I think is a great idea, since anyone going knows what they are in for.

I have taken my kids to the show when they were young, and as stated, you need to be prepared to leave if need be.
Old 11-20-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way. Most kids aren't even close to being ready for a movie until they're 3 or 4. Their attention spans are far less than "60-90 minutes" until then...and no matter who else in the theater is bringing babies/toddlers, it's not a good idea.
Old 11-20-12, 10:57 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Bring the kid, but if she gets riled up/disruptive, time to go.
agreed. don't linger if she becomes restless. just leave and let the rest enjoy in peace as they paid good money too. if she is napping throughout then score!
Old 11-20-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Matinee, kid's movie and taking the baby out if a distraction is the way I've gone. Diaper nights( what baby nights are called here) is a good way to catch up on movies that aren't just kid friendly. I've also used the drive ins. Not everyone has one near but it comes in handy. Also, a supportive wife who will deal with the baby while you can still watch the movie. Expect to pay for that last one though.
Old 11-20-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked twikoff also because he's a cheap babysitter and he will literally sit on your baby if it acts up.
Old 11-20-12, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

As long as you can make a swift exit if you need to, you should be alright.
Old 11-20-12, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was going to click on "terrible person" until I saw the specific circumstances. A matinee of an animated family film is one of the few screenings where bringing a young child is fine, and the fact that you are obviously considerate about others in the audience is just icing on the cake.
Old 11-20-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I think you'd be fine from an audience standpoint, but I wonder why you'd WANT to. You & your wife will not enjoy the movie becuase you'll constanly be distracted by a squirming toddler & may even have to leave early. Your daughter will not enjoy the movie because she's too young. What's in it for anybody?
Old 11-20-12, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I think you'd be fine from an audience standpoint, but I wonder why you'd WANT to. You & your wife will not enjoy the movie becuase you'll constanly be distracted by a squirming toddler & may even have to leave early. Your daughter will not enjoy the movie because she's too young. What's in it for anybody?
I took my niece to the movies a few times when she was very little. Her first movie was Evan Almighty - when she was around two years old. She was mostly quiet. But, yea. Don't expect to just sit there and enjoy the movie. Four to six years old, she would watch the movie, but also bother me a lot. Getting her to put on 3D glasses was pointless. She didn't really start sitting still until 6-7 years old. Now she's 8, and it's no big deal.

Gives me a good excuse to see kids movies in the theaters.

And, hey, it's all a crapshoot. Maybe your kid will be an angel at the theater. Kids are like domesticated monkies. They seem fine and then all the sudden bite your hands off.
Old 11-20-12, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

A matinee of a kids movie? Thats the only time I think it IS acceptable to bring a baby to the theater.
Old 11-20-12, 12:38 PM

having a baby means you don't go to the movies anymore. A 15 month old is going to get nothing from the movie, no matter if it's animated or not.

Stupid idea, get a babysitter or don't go. I've had management ask people to leave many times over a kid making noise and the establishments I frequent are happy to tell them to take the baby out or leave.
Old 11-20-12, 12:39 PM

It doesn't matter if it's a matinee or not.

So if adults choose to go to a matinee they are forced to deal with other people's idiocy?

Since when is that acceptable?
Old 11-20-12, 12:39 PM
Suspended

Someone brought a child into Expendables 2 over the summer and I was like wtf.
Old 11-20-12, 12:42 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I took my daughter to her first movie (The Princess and the Frog) when she was 23 months old. She didn't make it long enough for the film to even start. She thought the theater itself was scary, big, noisy, etc. Did not like it. Six months later I tried again for Toy Story 3 and she sat on my lap all the way through the movie. It just depends on the kid.

I will say that Wreck-it Ralph is PG and has some scary and intense and loud scenes. I took my now almost 5 year old, but I wouldn't have taken her to it when she was 2 1/2. Too intense.
Old 11-20-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sadly foofighters7 is correct.

Just don't do it. I have two kids aged 3 and 6 and I still haven't taken them to a movie.
Old 11-20-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
Just don't do it. I have two kids aged 3 and 6 and I still haven't taken them to a movie.
I have two as well (6 & 8) and took them as young as 3 & 5. Theater etiquette isn't that hard to teach.

Originally Posted by foofighters7
So if adults choose to go to a matinee they are forced to deal with other people's idiocy?
Who's really the idiot in this scenario? The parent(s) taking a child or two to a kid's animated matinee movie or the single adult going to a kid's animated matinee movie expecting utter silence?

I have two well mannered kids who don't utter a word in the theater and sit still the whole time but I'm not delusional enough to expect everyone else's kids to be the same at a kid's movie. That's just ridiculous. I know full well what I'm getting into going to an early showing of a kid's movie.

That being said, a crying baby is still a no-no. If your baby will sleep through the movie then fine, enjoy the flick, but if the child clearly wants out, then please leave the theater. You took a chance and lost. Try again in a couple years.
Old 11-20-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by foofighters7
It doesn't matter if it's a matinee or not.

Since when is that acceptable?
Well, if it's a child's movie, made for children, in the early day when children are usually awake, are you really gonna be shocked and surprised if you see and hear children?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.