TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gravity Falls - Disney Chanel

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-12, 02:30 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Gravity Falls - Disney Chanel

I love this show and can't believe there's not a thread on here for it. Funniest show I've seen in a long time. It's aimed at a younger audience so it's humor is not very "blue" but I laugh harder at this show than Family Guy because the writers work hard to make it clever. (And sometimes they manage to make it a little naughty--the pilot includes a gnome that barfs rainbows.) If you like "Eerie, Indiana" or "X-Files" you'll love this show. So far half the first season has aired and it's on some kind of hiatus.

Anyone else love this show?
Old 11-20-12, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Gravity Falls - Disney Chanel

Awesome show. I have two kids, 8 and 9 (almost 10), and Gravity Falls might be their favorite show right now. They always ask if a new episode was on (which disappoints them often because it has been a pretty choppy schedule and rare to have consecutive weeks with new shows).

It's a very witty, cute, and fun show. The voice-actors are excellent. Kristen Schaal and Jason Ritter are excellent as Mabel and Dipper. Grunkle Stan is like a cross between Mr. Krabs and....Al Bundy?

Plenty of kid humor and adult humor. For example, the episode with the Waddle the pig meme-photos....my kids loved them but never saw the original memes they were inspired by. Same thing with the video game parody. They loved the episode, but had no idea of the 8 bit video game/street fighter-type references which I thought were awesome. The writing and jokes are excellent.

It is one of my favorites to watch with them, but I'm afraid they are going to cancel it considering the lack of new episodes....tough to get a following that way.
Old 11-20-12, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Claytonian
Same thing with the video game parody. They loved the episode, but had no idea of the 8 bit video game/street fighter-type references which I thought were awesome. The writing and jokes are excellent.
Agreed. I was somewhat disapointed with Wreck-it Ralph and I couldn't help but think that there were more video game inspired laughs in that 22 minute episode then in the whole film.

My 5 year old and I love to watch it together. Great show for the whole family because it has kid laughs and grown up laughs. It's my understanding that new episodes will begin again in December.
Old 11-20-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Disney Chanel #5
Old 11-20-12, 02:11 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I don't even have kids, but may check this out anyway. Sounds better than most of the "adult" sitcoms currently on the air.
Old 11-20-12, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No kids here and we love this show. Hubby grabbed when he saw Kristen Schaal was one of the characters and we've got the whole season on the dvr, very re-watchable. Hoping DVD is out before the holidays (Di$ney never misses chance to make a couple bucks so hoping that's the case).
Old 11-20-12, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Agreed, it's very adult-friendly, like Phineas & Ferb.
Old 02-05-13, 04:19 PM
Banned

Rumor has it that a new episode will air February 15th. It's been a long mid season hiatus. I can't wait.
Old 02-05-13, 06:17 PM

It returns February 15th and I fully intend to continue watching it.

It's hilarious and very well written.

Kristen Schaal steals the show as character Mabel, and Jason Ritter is hysterical as her brother Dipper.

You also have to love the cast of Linda Cardellini, TJ Miller and Kevin Michael Richardson.

There's controversy online since the show has hidden messages within the opening theme song and every episode.

But since the show is based on and around the illuminati and secret organizations, that's only to be expected. Not to mention Disney loves to sneak in subliminal imagery and messages for fans to enjoy.
Old 02-06-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just love the fact that they got away with GIRL, YOU ACKIN CRAY CRAY on a kids show
Old 02-06-13, 11:07 AM
Banned

Uncle Stan, why you gotta be so cray cray?
Old 03-14-13, 05:34 PM
Banned

New episode this weekend and I read it got renewed for a second season. If you haven't seen this show check it out...it's great.
Old 08-04-14, 07:38 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Season Two starts tonight on DisneyXD. New episodes at 9pm and 9:30pm (EST).

All the episodes are available right now on the Watch DisneyXD app. I've been catching up on the Roku. It's a really fun show.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CQSLFBfZXF0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-05-14, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Fun for the kids and Adults - but watch in order - at this point, there is a lot of backstory.
Old 07-09-20, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

No kids, but I binged this over the last week and loved it. I stayed with a friend for a month last year and her kid watched it. My trip to the PNW for another friend's wedding got cancelled this summer, so I thought I'd give this a go and it's fantastic. It actually reminds me a little of Rick and Morty, but for a wider audience (and maybe a little better for it). And just generally my childhood in small-town Michigan, with all the books I'd read about Bigfoot, UFOs, Nessie, etc.
Old 07-09-20, 11:12 AM

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts

Gravity Falls belongs in the animated show hall of fame, it is that good. When I watched them as they aired I immediately knew I was watching something special and unique. Even the last few episodes which get especially crazy provided a nice send-off for series.

There is just something about the way the characters interacted with each other on the show that works (including the interactions between the main characters and bit players on the show).
The following 2 users liked this post by Inhumans99:
fujishig (07-09-20), IBJoel (07-09-20)
Old 07-09-20, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

It is. If you've never watched it and you're someone who complains about Disney +'s lack of content, this is probably the first show you should put in your queue.

Then go watch Gargoyles, Duck Tales (either one), Phineas and Ferb, Kim Possible, Star vs. the Forces of Evil (despite the ending), and Tangled the Series with your kids (or without them)
Old 07-09-20, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Is Tangled that good? Guess it couldn't hurt to give it a shot when I resub to D+ later in the year.

But yeah Gravity Falls, Phineas & Ferb and both DuckTales series are A+ content.
Old 07-10-20, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I tried to watch this, but couldn't get into it for a completely stupid reason:
Spoiler:
the fact that the person who voiced louise on Bob's Burgers voices the main girl in this, and didn't even attempt to alter her voice at all just pissed me off

Old 07-10-20, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I tried to watch this, but couldn't get into it for a completely stupid reason:
Spoiler:
the fact that the person who voiced louise on Bob's Burgers voices the main girl in this, and didn't even attempt to alter her voice at all just pissed me off

That’s really not a great reason considering Mabel is the soul of the show. She has a part where she’s pivotal to the whole plot and it’s fantastic.
Old 07-10-20, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
That’s really not a great reason considering Mabel is the soul of the show. She has a part where she’s pivotal to the whole plot and it’s fantastic.
Oh I know it's a shitty reason. But damn it, she's a voice actor! Why couldn't she use a different voice?!?!
Old 07-10-20, 10:34 AM

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts

Wait, I am confused...you are annoyed that a voice used on a show that came before Bob's Burgers first aired was re-used for Bob's Burgers is the reason you do not want to watch Gravity Falls...okay, if that is how you feel it is what it is.

Still does not change the fact that Mabel was indeed the heart and soul of Gravity Falls and is an incredible animated character.
Old 07-10-20, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Wait, I am confused...you are annoyed that a voice used on a show that came before Bob's Burgers first aired was re-used for Bob's Burgers is the reason you do not want to watch Gravity Falls...okay, if that is how you feel it is what it is.

Still does not change the fact that Mabel was indeed the heart and soul of Gravity Falls and is an incredible animated character.
Well that's the order I watched them in, and that's all that matters to me. Yes, I recognize that is unreasonable. It still bugs me enough that I can't enjoy the show. I'm sure it's a great show though! If it makes any more sense, I can't watch any movie that actress is in, because her voice is just TOO particular. Yes, I am weird that way.
Old 07-10-20, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Oh I know it's a shitty reason. But damn it, she's a voice actor! Why couldn't she use a different voice?!?!
That's, like, Kristen Schaal's distinct voice. I didn't find it as grating as it was initially on, say, Flight of the Conchords or Last Man on Earth where she's supposed to be annoying.

She's also Trixie the Triceratops in Toy Story (not that I want to ruin that for you as well... )
Old 07-14-20, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
She's also Trixie the Triceratops in Toy Story (not that I want to ruin that for you as well... )
We just watched Toy Story 4 last night and it reminded me of this thread!
Luckily she didn't have many lines.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.