Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

BEAUTIFUL CREATURES (2013) (dir. R. LaGravenese) (A. Englert, E. Rossum, J. Irons)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

BEAUTIFUL CREATURES (2013) (dir. R. LaGravenese) (A. Englert, E. Rossum, J. Irons)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-12, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J5NUR-U3W0c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ethan longs to escape his small Southern town. He meets a mysterious new girl, Lena. Together, they uncover dark secrets about their respective families, their history and their town.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1559547/
Old 11-16-12, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: BEAUTIFUL CREATURES (2013) (dir. R. LaGravenese) (A. Englert, E. Rossum, J. Irons

Did that girl have darkness coming out of her snizz?
Old 02-17-13, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: BEAUTIFUL CREATURES (2013) (dir. R. LaGravenese) (A. Englert, E. Rossum, J. Irons

Damn!?!?!

No love for this film?

Saw this a few days ago and thought it was fantastic. Suprised this thread doesn't have much activity.

For those that haven't seen the film (or read the book), I would avoid the trailer above. Seems to spoil much of the film.
Old 02-17-13, 01:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Saw ads for this I think. This is the Twilight-with-witches movie, right?
Old 02-17-13, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Every heterosexual male friend that I have talked to that has seen the film has really liked it. Color me surprised.
Old 02-17-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Saw ads for this I think. This is the Twilight-with-witches movie, right?
Yes.... but in a different league and without all that cheesy bullshit/awkward stares. I remember walking out of Twilight thinking "WTF?". I still went on to see the remainder of the series.

With this film, I was pleasantly surprised, especially since I went in completely blind (no trailers, book, etc). The cast was amazing: The two leads, Irons, Thompson and Rossum. Impressive visuals and kickass mythology.
Old 02-17-13, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Every heterosexual male friend that I have talked to that has seen the film has really liked it. Color me surprised.
Was that like one person?
Old 02-17-13, 03:26 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Lagravenese's involvement makes me intrigued.
Old 02-17-13, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Was that like one person?
Funny fucker aren't you.
Old 02-18-13, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Saw it twice. Will watch it again.

Question:
Spoiler:

When we find out that it was Macon that died, Serafin says "Sneaky, sneaky, somebody you love has to die" ... so she knew about how to break the curse, she found out somehow.

Why does Serafin want to do the one thing, kill Ethan, that will break the curse?? Isn't the curse a good thing for her??

Old 02-18-13, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Saw it twice. Will watch it again.

Question:
Spoiler:

When we find out that it was Macon that died, Serafin says "Sneaky, sneaky, somebody you love has to die" ... so she knew about how to break the curse, she found out somehow.

Why does Serafin want to do the one thing, kill Ethan, that will break the curse?? Isn't the curse a good thing for her??

..because

Spoiler:

She assumes Lena would use a forbidden spell to bring him back, which would automatically make her go "Dark".
Old 02-18-13, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Oooohhhh, that makes sense

Damn I love this movie.
Old 02-18-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I dunno about this one. The first trailer made it look fun (basically a Down South version of Dynasty but with Witches) but all the latest ads make it look like a total bore.
Old 02-18-13, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I took my 18 and 12 year daughters to this and was expecting to fall asleep... but it was actually a very good movie.
Old 02-18-13, 01:45 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

You guys arent joking around? It was decent?
Old 02-18-13, 01:59 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...is this one of those films that where the critics didn't like it but the audience does? Cuz it's got a crap scoring for it's percent at RT.
Old 02-18-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

If it is in fact a decent movie then the marketing for this failed big time. Every ad I've seen for this makes it look like a knock-off of the Twilight movies.

As horrible as the Twilight movies seem to me a cheap rip-off of them scares me more than any monster or vampire ever could!

As it is, thanks to the shit marketing it's still a rental at best for me.
Old 02-18-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I saw this last thursday and thought it was all right. One thing I was wondering:

Spoiler:

Lena made Ethan forget that their relationship ever occurred. Okay, so then what about EVERYBODY ELSE EVER who saw them together throughout the months? Viola Davis I can understand of course since she is in the magical world (and obviously we saw her reaction). I guess the assumption is that she made everybody forget, somehow?
Old 02-18-13, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that it was good, but not great. It was certainly better than the marketing lead me to believe it would be, but that is nothing to be too terribly proud of.

I haven't read the books yet, but I still had the feeling they were leaving things out left and right. That said, the visuals and the actors made it better than the script itself. The acting was pretty great across the board, especially Thompson, Irons and Rossum (who was my favorite character by far). All in all, I say it was worth seeing once but I probably won't make a habit of it.
Old 02-18-13, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
Hell yes. Go see it.
Old 02-18-13, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
If it is in fact a decent movie then the marketing for this failed big time. Every ad I've seen for this makes it look like a knock-off of the Twilight movies.

As horrible as the Twilight movies seem to me a cheap rip-off of them scares me more than any monster or vampire ever could!

At least you'll eventually see it, versus not at all. Then you'll swing by this thread again in a few months
Old 02-18-13, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
It was decent. Very strange and strangely constructed. At times I actually wondered if someone mixed up some reels but I guess they don't use reels any more. Still, I have to say I found it entertaining, particularly with its somewhat challenging 2+ hours length (pushing it for this kind of movie). And it's worth seeing just for Emma Thompson's kind of nutty over the top performance. I mean that in a good way.

*** / *****

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: much better than Twilight. Not as good as The Hunger Games.

Last edited by movielib; 02-18-13 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-18-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

It was a fun movie for the most part of the hour and a half I stayed awake. We saw it late and I was tired but I also feel that the movie was a bit too long in the tooth for what was going on.
Old 02-18-13, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked it as well. We took my girlfriend's daughter for her birthday. As others have said, the acting was good. I really liked the male lead.
Old 08-16-13, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

That is what I thought, I thought..this is Twilight for witches movie. Wife said her friend saw it and it was better than that.

And It was actually pretty good. Romance/love was indeed a key part of the movie, but it was a part of it, tied into the plotline and the choice between dark and white magic.

Loved Emma Thompson and Jeremy Irons, even liked viola davis character.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.