Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

CNN.com Story : "Why console gaming is dying"

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
CNN.com Story : "Why console gaming is dying"

My wife steered me to this article (just like she used to steer me to articles that said that the home video market was dying and nobody buys movies on DVDs and Blu Rays anymore). Anyway, the gist here is that people are buying less games than previously (conveniently the article came out using data before Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 released). I certainly agree games aren't selling like they did a few years ago in the heyday of Wii gaming and Guitar Hero frenzy, but I don't think that console gaming is doomed for extinction by any means.
I disagree with their assertion that the fact that people now use their consoles for more than gaming has some sort of negative effect on game sales -- if anything, I'd think it builds brand loyalty; and of course just because you do other things on a console besides gaming, it doesn't necessarily mean you game less, it could just mean you use your console more. I do agree, however, that there will probably need to be a new generation of consoles before we see another spike in game sales.

Anyway, here's the article:

Why console gaming is dying

Spoiler:
By Blake Snow, Special to CNN

(CNN) -- If console gaming were a first-person shooter, it would be taking heavy fire right now. A red hue would envelop the viewable screen from all sides, an ominous sign of spilled blood.

Or worse, near-death.

Despite this, Nintendo will release its new Wii U console on November 18, ushering in the eighth and possibly last generation of traditional home consoles as we know them.

Consider this: Dedicated gaming sales — including living-room consoles and handhelds — are in the midst of a four-year tailspin. You might say that's because of a bad economy, but then you'd have to explain why movie revenue and cable TV subscriptions have largely stayed the same.

Or why music sales, gutted by online streaming and piracy, have held up better than slumping sales of console games. Or why the popularity of social, mobile and PC games have skyrocketed to unthinkable heights.

The problem seems to be isolated to dedicated video games. Video game industry sales in the United States, including game discs, consoles and accessories, were down 24% in September when compared with the same period last year. Many experts believe these decreases in profits, the rise of casual and social gaming and waning consumer interest are affecting makers of the three big living-room consoles: Microsoft's Xbox 360, Sony's PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's Wii.

So is this it then? Is the death of dedicated gaming upon us? In a word, no.

"I bristle when people suggest as much," says Adrian Crook, a game design consultant. "Consoles will grow again and will never go away."

But today's dedicated gaming business is arguably in its most tumultuous period since the 1983 gaming collapse. It's nowhere near ruin yet, thanks to big franchises like "Call of Duty," "Madden," and a select few mainstream console games. But the console's influence is waning, and there's uncertainty about its future.

Here's where the shots at console gaming are coming from, and how the industry might dodge and counter them.

Trojan horses

Since the '80s, console makers have dreamed of using their "dedicated gaming machines" as Trojan horses to further control the living room with a single, proprietary device.

That time has come. Gaming consoles have transformed into entertainment hubs for people to stream movies or YouTube videos. So much, in fact, that gaming consoles no longer are being used primarily for gaming. In fact, "40% of all Xbox activity now is non-game," Microsoft boasts. Amazon and Netflix streaming accounts for most of that, as they do for Wii and PS3.

Combined, game consoles account for half of all Netflix users. This is great news for the movie industry. Not so great for console gaming's bottom line, especially since the industry largely subsidizes consoles now.

In other words, a console isn't helping the gaming industry if it's mainly being used to stream Netflix movies.

Not only that, but gamers' tastes have evolved to include quick, bite-size gaming sessions -- something consoles have never been good at. (Gamers must go to the living room, wait for the console to power on, load the game from the main menu, wait for it to boot.) It's much slower than tapping an icon on the smartphone you already carry in your pocket.

"Most people who liked console games in the past still do today," says Alex Hutchinson, creative director of Ubisoft, "but they're also looking for a wider spread of experiences. I want some games I can play quickly after work or while the kids are asleep and have a short satisfying experience."

As the number of gaming scenarios has increased, so, too, has the number of diehard gamers, says market researcher DFC Intelligence.

"Gamers have not only increased in number, but they are playing on multiple platforms now," says analyst David Cole. "Fewer enthusiasts describe themselves in a single camp such as 'I love Nintendo and hate Sony and Microsoft' or vice versa."

If enthusiasm for a single dedicated machine has waned, however — or at least has been spread thin — then the machine that demands the most attention will invariably suffer. That machine is the console — the one you hold dear to your heart, but probably reach for less than you used to, whether you like to admit it or not.

Creative stagnation?

When it's not taking a backseat to more convenient app gaming, some say the console has stagnated creatively.

"You would think that XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade), PSN (PlayStation Network), and the rise of 'free to play' would have opened a door to smaller games that can take more risks creatively, but right now they're just cut-down versions of box-product games, or retreads of games I played on the SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)," says Hutchinson, referring to the online gaming networks offered by Microsoft and Sony.

"I don't honestly think that someone who didn't want a 2-D platformer 20 years ago is going to wake up today and buy it on XBLA."

In addition, even big-box games have lost some of their visual allure in recent years. What were once graphical leaps in previous generations have now become bunny hops, at least to the average eye.

"People aren't as motivated by cutting-edge graphics as they once were," says Paul Neurath, creative director at Zynga, makers of "FarmVille," "Mafia Wars" and other social games on Facebook.

"Gamers that care intensely about graphics will continue to do so, but I think there are fewer now than there were in the past," he says. "Big leaps in graphics no longer exist. Unless there's some futuristic holographic display or direct brain implement we don't know about, it's hard to get a lot better."

Cole, the gaming analyst, agrees.

"Cutting-edge graphics in the past amounted to nothing more than killer CGI videos that added nothing to gameplay," he said. "That's a problem for an industry that up until recently prided itself on "buy this console because the games look a lot better than the ones you currently own.'"

In that sense, next-generation is no longer "next." We've arrived. Looking back, NES was certainly a step above Atari and imprecise joysticks. SNES and Genesis offered a huge leap in affordable home graphics. PlayStation and N64 immersed players into 3-D worlds replete with camera control. PlayStation 2 and Xbox overcame polygons in favor of rounded and non-jaggy looks. All of these were improvements upon previous generations of gaming systems.

But this current generation of consoles? With the exception of the early Wii years, they've largely offered better-looking versions of games we've already played. There have been a lot of great games to be sure, but fewer must-haves — the kind that truly take the medium into uncharted territory.

Rise of cheap, social gaming

On the other hand, cheap, bite-size games such as "Angry Birds" and "Plants vs. Zombies" have thrived in recent years, ensnaring new players with novel gameplay.

"Virtually all of my clients are in social and mobile sectors, which have totally exploded in the last few years and continue unabated today," says Crook, who previously worked as a console designer.

As such, the demand for games has grown. "It's not so much that gamer interests have changed since the last generation, but that a whole group of new players have started playing games," says Zynga's Neurath. "These people would never have played last-generation console games. They're more into it for the social aspect."

Console makers so far have been ill-equipped to meet this demand, given their lucrative, 30-year-old model of selling games for $50-$60.

This partly explains why Nintendo, after five years of phenomenal Wii growth, is slumping. Industry experts say they're not in a position to meet the demands of most new social gamers.

We'll soon find out whether the Wii U can revive Nintendo's fortunes. The console's big new feature is a 6.2-inch touchscreen GamePad controller that interacts in creative new ways with the gamers' TV. Wii U players can play together, with one person using a TV screen and the other using the GamePad. A single player also can access additional content on the GamePad that enhances the game on the big screen.

Nintendo declined to comment for this story.

In a struggling economy, consoles also have fallen victim to the cut-rate pricing of games -- something consumers are exceedingly demanding but consoles have yet to offer.

In what has become a successful business model, many developers give away their games for free, then charge players later for status upgrades or gameplay perks.

"Say what you want about freemium, 'nickel and diming' of players, but I'd sooner pay nothing up front and $5 to $10 later than plunk down $60 on a game and hope I like it," says Crook.

Ubisoft's Hutchinson refers to it as a rising "fear" among console gamers. With so many deals to be had elsewhere, a lot of console gamers are making fewer full-price purchases than before.

"The free-to-play model has certainly impacted the industry," agrees Zynga's Neurath.

On top of that, 99¢ iPhone and iPad games are also taking a toll on the perceived value of dedicated gaming systems. Even PC games go on sale for as little as $5-$20 on occasion, a trend that has breathed new life into PC gaming and changed how some of the most ardent gamers value games.

"The business model for a five-year life cycle isn't working for Sony and Microsoft," says Cole. "They spend billions to R&D and market these new systems, they sell them at a loss for the first few years and then they don't really have the software business to make up the cost. They are better getting out of the business entirely rather than go after a five-year life cycle."

How console makers can fight back

In wake of all these changes, what's a console maker to do? What might reinvigorate interest in living-room and dedicated handheld gaming?

A first step would be fresher consoles themselves. The Xbox 360 is 7 years old, while the Wii and the PlayStation 3 are both 6.

Newer motion-controlled gaming systems such as Microsoft's Kinect and Sony's Move, which let players control in-game avatars by moving their arms and legs, have helped sustain interest. But experts say more upgrades are needed.

"New consoles would help, and the rumblings have already started at Microsoft and Sony," Hutchinson says. As if reminded by the lackluster sales of the handheld 3DS and PS Vita gaming systems, he adds, "But I don't know that we really need a new hardware cycle at this point from a creative standpoint."

Zynga's Neurath, who's worked with consoles and PCs since the 8-bit days, says console makers would do well to act more like nontraditional platforms. A new console dubbed Ouya will launch next year with free-to-play games and a $99 launch price, but keep the focus on what its manufacturer calls "TV gaming."

Crook believes there is still plenty of time for traditional console makers to correct their downward trend.

"There will always be a big market for core game systems," he says. "It all comes down to how consoles can get back to taking creative risks again, and what the platforms can do to broaden their markets and offer innovative means of interaction."

Ubisoft's Hutchinson wants console games to deliver more meaningful experiences.

"Games need to explain to players why they made certain artistic decisions, what mood they're setting with their lighting and color choices, and less about the technical features," he says. "We need to offer more experiences that are understandable to people's real lives, either in terms of mechanics or narrative, and attract people who don't read fantasy novels or watch the SyFy channel. Our mechanics are often not the barrier, but our content sometimes is."

The good news for the industry, and for gamers, is that video games in their broadest sense are most definitely here to stay. It's just that the way we access, control and define them has rapidly evolved. Despite the weakening sales of consoles and console games, the growth of mobile, social and PC-based games means that total spending on gaming is actually on the rise.

"Inviting more people to the fun and wonderment of games isn't just good for social games, it's good for the entire industry," says Neurath.

It will likely take at least one more console cycle to gauge the long-term sustainability of dedicated gaming devices, experts say. Their ultimate survival all depends on how well console makers adapt to evolving business models and changing consumer tastes.
Old 11-12-12, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: CNN.com Story : "Why console gaming is dying"

I laughed when I saw the headline on CNN.
Old 11-12-12, 07:39 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Besides the obvious joke about CNN doing an article on something dying...up until this year, game sales have been doing record numbers. Console game sales do so much better than 10 or 20 years ago. I think this year is down big because there has not been that many must have games until now. I also don't know if they are actually counting actual console sales in that, but of course those are going to be down toward the end of a generation. You also have growing digital sales even on consoles that I am not sure is being counted.
Old 11-12-12, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, I don't agree with any of it.

First in regards to graphics, I've said it before and I'll say it again, people have to *see* the next gen possibilities to get excited about it. When we were in the midst of last gen people said the same thing, this is "good enough" why do we need prettier. Then 360 kiosks hit with CoD2 on them and people saw the potential. 7 years later and you have Halo 4 and one of the biggest talking points is how pretty it is. As soon as MS & Sony show gamers the next gen potential, people will be on board.

Second, with the consoles so old there is just too many games on the release schedule for most of them to succeed. New generations help that problem.
Old 11-12-12, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I also don't know if they are actually counting actual console sales in that...You also have growing digital sales even on consoles that I am not sure is being counted.
They're counting sales of new video game hardware, software, and accessories, so you nailed it on all counts. PC games, digital games, apps, rentals, used sales, etc. don't factor in.

Sales of accessories are actually slightly up, and I think I've read a lot of that's attributed to Skylanders.

To be fair, sales of physical games (not taking hardware/accessories into consideration) are down quite a bit, but it's been kind of a soft year so far for really big releases. I'm sure sales will be really strong now that the holiday season is starting to kick in, and new hardware ought to help a lot.
Old 11-12-12, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CNN is dying.
Old 11-12-12, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
CNN is dying.
Exactly. This is a bunch of BS destined to piss off people. Console gaming will never die to me as long as I have two functioning hands. I mean really...what would actually replace it? Please don't tell me mobile or tablet gaming...or a "resurgence" of the PC. It's just not happening. Sure there are slow periods, but plenty of games do great sales to justify that it is sticking around.

BTW, Decker, your wife steers you towards those articles because she wants you to start spending more on her or less in general. That's usually the way it works .
Old 11-12-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Read it over the weekend, laughed.

It's essentially been 6-7 years since this generation began. That's a LONG time. Gamers are used to getting new hardware, and for whatever reason the big 2 have decided to ride this generation out as long as it can. So the base erodes away a little because they're bored.
Old 11-12-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Read it over the weekend, laughed.

It's essentially been 6-7 years since this generation began. That's a LONG time. Gamers are used to getting new hardware, and for whatever reason the big 2 have decided to ride this generation out as long as it can. So the base erodes away a little because they're bored.
I agree. I think part of it is because they were expecting their motion controls to revitalize the generation. It looks like that hasn't happened to the extent they would like, especially on the PS3 side.
Old 11-12-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
I agree. I think part of it is because they were expecting their motion controls to revitalize the generation. It looks like that hasn't happened to the extent they would like, especially on the PS3 side.
That's because motion controls are stupid. Except for a handful of dance games they limit control options, not expand them. It was one of the things that turned me off of consoles and sent me back to PCs. I couldn't believe MS and Sony were jumping on this bandwagon and selling us more hardware to play more basic games. It's like Wii Tennis - it was a fun concept at first, but then you realize it is just about the worst, most inaccurate tennis game ever. Okay, I get it wasn't supposed to be realistic, but the point is despite the fact motion control is supposed to feel more immersive, a motion controlled Tennis game will NEVER feel as realistic or engaging as one played on a controller like Virtua Tennis.

Same is true for nearly every other genre popular on consoles - FPS, third person platform games, sports games - none of them benefit from motion controls.

I also disagree with the article. Consoles only continue to get more popular. However they are dying for me as they grow more and more franchise driven. I think this is one of the reasons sales might be slowing. Most console gamers only seem interested in the handful of big-budget, well hyped games that come out every year. There is no indie/niche scene which has helped the resurgence of PC gaming.
Old 11-12-12, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
That's because motion controls are stupid. Except for a handful of dance games they limit control options, not expand them. It was one of the things that turned me off of consoles and sent me back to PCs. I couldn't believe MS and Sony were jumping on this bandwagon and selling us more hardware to play more basic games. It's like Wii Tennis - it was a fun concept at first, but then you realize it is just about the worst, most inaccurate tennis game ever. Okay, I get it wasn't supposed to be realistic, but the point is despite the fact motion control is supposed to feel more immersive, a motion controlled Tennis game will NEVER feel as realistic or engaging as one played on a controller like Virtua Tennis.

Same is true for nearly every other genre popular on consoles - FPS, third person platform games, sports games - none of them benefit from motion controls.

I also disagree with the article. Consoles only continue to get more popular. However they are dying for me as they grow more and more franchise driven. I think this is one of the reasons sales might be slowing. Most console gamers only seem interested in the handful of big-budget, well hyped games that come out every year. There is no indie/niche scene which has helped the resurgence of PC gaming.
In a way, motion controls are almost as "niche-y" as a guitar or drum controller for Rock Band, or a dance mat for Dance Dance Revolution. But, they want to apply them to all sorts of games. The Kinect version of Steel Battalion seems like a cruel joke.

The same thing is sort of happening with touchscreens; I feel that they're not well-suited for action games. Although at least in that case they have a good excuse, since a phone or tablet doesn't have any other form of control (save for connecting a controller via Bluetooth or USB, which defeats the portability to some degree).
Old 11-12-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
CNN is dying.

Best line yet...and it's the truth. If anyone knows about "Dying"...it's them
Old 11-12-12, 06:05 PM

Isn't CNN a cable news station? Isn't cable TV dying? How many people actually get their news on TV at all?

lol@CNN. I'll be watching the news videos through a software app in my PS4 in a matter of years.
Old 11-12-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't CNN the most popular, or pretty close, website for news?
Old 11-12-12, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by starman9000
Isn't CNN the most popular, or pretty close, website for news?
Hence why I referred to broadcast news. Unless they start streaming their entire network broadcast for free via their website, they'd have to address the dwindling tv audience.
Old 11-12-12, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are people that I know that rarely purchase games that purchased Borderlands 2 back in September.

The same can be said for Halo 4 this past week.

The same will be said again for Black Ops 2 this coming week.

If you release games that goes beyond just your core group of "gamers," the masses will purchase it. Hell, Halo 4 sold over 3.6 million copies on its first day of release despite it being limited to one machine. Microsoft is estimating another 1.3 million copies sold during the remainder of the week (Wednesday - Monday).

Console gaming isn't dying and I can see it expanding based upon what hardware Microsoft and Sony push out with the next generation. All I want from the next generation is all gaming to have a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 resolution with 60 fps minimum.
Old 11-12-12, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by StephenX
Hence why I referred to broadcast news. Unless they start streaming their entire network broadcast for free via their website, they'd have to address the dwindling tv audience.
But this story is from their website. That's like saying the article is right because SNES sales are way down.
Old 11-12-12, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The dude who wrote that is a freelancer guys, not affiliated with CNN as far as I'm aware.
Old 11-12-12, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I don't agree with that article at all. Is CNN expecting Quarter arcades to make a huge comeback for everyone's gaming needs?

Yeah Games are really expensive and not everyone can afford to buy new games every month.

BTW, CNN has some of the worst ratings in cable news TV.
Old 11-12-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
All I want from the next generation is all gaming to have a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 resolution with 60 fps minimum.
Yep, this is my biggest wish also.

The biggest fear I have with console games going into the nest generation is rapidly rising developmental costs that are forcing some companies to play it safe with the titles they release. I'm all for different genres but I'm starting to get sick of FPS as much as I got sick of Fighting games by the late 90s.
Old 11-12-12, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been the greatest generation of console gaming since it's inception.
Old 11-12-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
This has been the greatest generation of console gaming since inception.
http://inception.davepedu.com/noflash.php
Old 11-13-12, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
In a way, motion controls are almost as "niche-y" as a guitar or drum controller for Rock Band, or a dance mat for Dance Dance Revolution. But, they want to apply them to all sorts of games. The Kinect version of Steel Battalion seems like a cruel joke.

The same thing is sort of happening with touchscreens; I feel that they're not well-suited for action games. Although at least in that case they have a good excuse, since a phone or tablet doesn't have any other form of control (save for connecting a controller via Bluetooth or USB, which defeats the portability to some degree).
The problem with motion controls is I got to get off the dang couch to play them. Sort of defeats the purpose of playing a video game in my book. I go to the gym (which I do) when I want to move my tush.
Old 11-13-12, 01:04 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
The problem with motion controls is I got to get off the dang couch to play them. Sort of defeats the purpose of playing a video game in my book. I go to the gym (which I do) when I want to move my tush.
my problem is they are not as accurate as a controller. I play games to escape reality. I can be an assassin, or a super hero while playing a game. I would never be able to do these things in real life, but because all of those actions are put down to a controller, my finger is fast enough to do so. With motion control I am right back to be average again. Not even average because they are still a mess.
Old 11-13-12, 02:43 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In fact, "40% of all Xbox activity now is non-game," Microsoft boasts. Amazon and Netflix streaming accounts for most of that, as they do for Wii and PS3.

Combined, game consoles account for half of all Netflix users. This is great news for the movie industry. Not so great for console gaming's bottom line, especially since the industry largely subsidizes consoles now.
Really stupid figure that proves nothing unless you had actual time stats. Say in 2007 I spent 12 hours a week playing games and 0 hours on Netflix (but watched 8 hours of movies on DVD or cable); and in 2012 I spend 12 hours a week on games and 8 hours watching movies on Netflix via Xbox. You arrive at the same figure, only difference is I'm using the console to achieve the things I may have done via other means before.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.