Netflix/AMC renews The Killing for a 3rd season

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-08-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/kill...-negotiations/

It looks like The Killing will be coming back for a third season after all. Two and a half months after AMC opted not to renew the mystery drama for a third season, I hear the cable network is close to a deal to bring the show back, this time in tandem with streaming giant Netflix. I hear AMC would get first window.

A deal, which is still being hammered out, would be the culmination of a relentless effort by The Killing producer Fox TV Studios to keep the series alive. When The Killing‘s cancellation was announced, the studio vowed to “try to find another home for the show” and talked with a number of potential buyers before zeroing in on Netflix. The talks, which were touch and go for awhile, subsequently brought AMC back into the equation. I hear a strong third-season pitch by series’ developer/executive producer Veena Sud helped get the modestly-rated drama back on the cable network which will now share its The Killing-associated costs with Netflix. Fox TV Studios already had the cast, including breakout stars Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman, locked in for Season 3, which also made a renewal an easier proposition. I hear feelers are now being sent out to key behind-the-scene auspices to return. AMC, Netflix and FtvS declined comment.

The split window deal for The Killing resembles that for NBC’s critically praised drama Friday Night Lights, which was on the verge of cancellation after Season 2 before the broadcast network partnered with DirecTV. In that case, the satcaster got the premiere run of the show, with NBC airing the seasons a few months later.

A renewal of an established series like The Killing would give AMC more breathing room as it faces the departure of Breaking Bad and has likely two seasons left in Mad Men. (Additionally, the future of Western drama Hell On Wheels is in limbo following the exit of showrunner John Shiban.)

The Killing, an adaptation of a Danish format, launched strong in 2011. Its first-season finale was one of the most talked about episodes of television in the past few years, triggering controversy with the decision not to reveal the killer. The show returned lower in Season 2 and never quite regained its ratings momentum but remained an OK performer.

Just when you thought it was gone and forgotten, it's back. AMC and Netflix apparently splitting the costs.

AMC is apparently getting the 1st airing window, then it goes to Netflix.
Old 11-08-12, 05:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Netflix/AMC renews The Killing for a 3rd season

Come ON!
Old 11-08-12, 05:21 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Can't say I'm all that surprised (or excited).
Old 11-08-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Fox must have given the series away. I'm not sure if I was AMC, I would have brought it back under any circumstance. The show angered many AMC viewers and that can hurt the channel's brand.
Old 11-08-12, 10:11 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Title is very misleading. Not a dome deal yet

AMC must really be hurting. This show was a stinker in its second season for ratings
Old 11-08-12, 10:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This season the victim is good taste!
Old 11-08-12, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

The pitch must have been "Season 1 and 2 were a dream and the show will become a L&O:SVU Spin off!"
Old 11-09-12, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More frumpy sweaters for all!!!
Old 11-09-12, 08:08 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

It's amazing that a station with such critically acclaimed shows can have a bunch of dopes behind the scenes.
Old 11-09-12, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked the show..........but come on.
Old 11-09-12, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

No. Just no. That entire series would've made a great 42 minute episode of Law & Order.
Old 11-09-12, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Who wants to bet that Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman aren't too happy about the renewal news? (okay, most likely to get renewed)
Old 11-09-12, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I already forgot what happened in Season 2 it was so lame.
Old 11-09-12, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
It's amazing that a station with such critically acclaimed shows can have a bunch of dopes behind the scenes.
Breaking Bad and Mad Men are phenomenal and get great praise... but that's really it. Walking Dead gets ratings but it isn't exactly critically acclaimed. The Killing lost both viewers and critics pretty quickly. They don't have anything else currently going in the drama department.

So they're 2 for 4 in critically acclaimed shows. AMC shouldn't be put in such high regard as it currently is. Breaking Bad has 8 eps left and Mad Men is closer to the end than the beginning... I don't have much faith that AMC will pull me back in with something new once those two shows are done.

Originally Posted by DJariya
AMC is apparently getting the 1st airing window, then it goes to Netflix.
I'm hoping this format is successful. The show sucks and I won't be watching (gave up after season 1) but I like the idea of a show airing on cable and then quickly appearing on Netflix. It's a good way of keeping my DVR from being too jammed and hey, if this season doesn't completely suck and reviews are good... maybe I'll jump in and blast through it on Netflix.

Last edited by Goat3001; 11-09-12 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-09-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

This show could be good if they focused on fewer (if any) red herrings and tightened up the story. If seasons 1 and 2 were condensed into one season with a lot of the fluff and needless dead ends cut out, I think it would have been a lot more compelling.

If Veena Sud is still running things, I won't expect much though.
Old 11-09-12, 09:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Breaking Bad and Mad Men are phenomenal and get great praise... but that's really it.
Not to mention the fact that those were literally the network's first two shows. Nothing they've done since has been worth a damn. If TWD wasn't a show about Zombies it would never have done as well as it has, because the first two seasons are complete garbage.
Old 11-09-12, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Not to mention the fact that those were literally the network's first two shows. Nothing they've done since has been worth a damn. If TWD wasn't a show about Zombies it would never have done as well as it has, because the first two seasons are complete garbage.
Good point. The network is certainly trending down. Once MM and BB are done, they'll only have TWD to count on and they'll milk it as long as they can since it brings in ratings. Things aren't looking good for AMC's future.

Great shows don't fall out of trees, but they need to get to work to find something that can take over once their top shows are gone or any positive aura AMC has left will be gone.
Old 11-09-12, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
If Veena Sud is still running things, I won't expect much though.
Veena Sud is still head writer and showrunner. She's the one who pitched this 3rd season to FOX/Netflix/AMC.
Old 11-09-12, 10:32 AM

Good point. The network is certainly trending down. Once MM and BB are done, they'll only have TWD to count on and they'll milk it as long as they can since it brings in ratings. Things aren't looking good for AMC's future.

Great shows don't fall out of trees, but they need to get to work to find something that can take over once their top shows are gone or any positive aura AMC has left will be gone.
Just an idea of their possible upcoming programs:

Low Winter Sun - Based on the British series starring Mark Strong. It's a contemporary story of murder, deception, revenge and corruption in a world where the line between cops and criminals is blurred. Its writer, executive producer and showrunner is Chris Mundy. No premiere date has been announced yet. On May 3, 2012, AMC greenlit production on the pilot.

Untitled Legal Thriller - Legal thriller with major political, personal and ethical stakes. It centers on a District Attorney who uncovers new evidence that prompts the reinvestigation of a sensational murder case. The series is an exploration of personal morality and how people struggle with the shades of grey found in the absence of a simple, ordered moral universe. Richard LaGravenese serves as writer, Tony Goldwyn as executive producer and Andrew Sugarman will serve as co-executive producer. AMC greenlit the pilot in May 3, 2012 along with Low Winter Sun.

Thunderstruck. - An original sci-fi series. A UFO crashes in a small town in Montana. The locals try to grasp the reality and prepare for more occurrences.

Sacred Games - Adapted from the India-set novel by Vikram Chandra. No premiere date announced yet.

Untitled Diamond Trade Drama - A drama set in the world of diamond trading executive produced by Ridley Scott and Tony Scott. No premiere date or official title announced yet.

How To Cheat On Your Wife - Comedy by Rob Roy Thomas starring Todd Stashwick, Steve Little, David Furr, and Seth Morris. No premiere date announced yet.

Thief of Thieves. - Based on the comics by The Walking Dead producer, Robert Kirkman. Chic Eglee will serve as showrunner. It is about a thief named Conrad Paulson who, while trying to reconcile with his estranged wife and son, realizes he's addicted to stealing; therefore, he decides to feed his addiction by stealing only what has been stolen.

Area 51 - Adapted from the best-selling book by Annie Jacobsen, Area 51 revolves around the staff of the mysterious military base.
Old 11-09-12, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Screw AMC. How about showing some "classic American movies"?

I remember the good old days of AMC showing commercial ridden, full-frame movies. Good times.
Old 11-09-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just an idea of their possible upcoming programs:
Not that any of these shows sound bad but none of them seem to jump out as being incredibly original. Those blurbs don't mean much though. I'm hoping for the best... something needs to take Breaking Bad's spot and I hope it's great.

Right now, the only channel where I feel that I can expect a great drama is Showtime. They hit it out of the park with their last two (Shameless, Homeland) and are still getting it done with Dexter.
Old 11-09-12, 11:54 AM

Right now, the only channel where I feel that I can expect a great drama is Showtime. They hit it out of the park with their last two (Shameless, Homeland) and are still getting it done with Dexter.
I would agree with that. What do you think of FX? I think their track record is pretty fantastic as well.
Old 11-09-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would agree with that. What do you think of FX? I think their track record is pretty fantastic as well.
I only watch their comedies (League, It's Always Sunny, Archer) and American Horror Story. I loved AHS last season but I'm 3 weeks behind on this season. Nothing against the show, the one episode I saw was great, it's just the kind of show I prefer to watch 3 episodes of in one sitting.

I've heard great things about Sons of Anarchy and Justified but I don't watch either. I had plans to watch both this past summer but got caught up watching The Shield for the first time (also an FX show, also awesome).

So yeah, FX knows their shit and I'd certainly hold it in higher regard than AMC.
Old 11-09-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Screw AMC. How about showing some "classic American movies"?
AMC hasn't stood for "American Movies Classics" since 2002.
Old 11-09-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So you're telling me there's a chance?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.