TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Girl Meets World (Disney) - Series Thread - Boy Meets World sequel series

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Girl Meets World (Disney) - Series Thread - Boy Meets World sequel series

As per TVLine:
Exclusive: Disney Channel Eyes Boy Meets World Sequel Series, Ben Savage In Early Talks
by Kimberly Roots

Boy Meets World Sequel - The world has met Cory Matthews — is it time now to meet his daughter?

The Disney Channel is in the early stages of developing a Boy Meets World sequel series called Girl Meets World, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Sources say that the cable network is trying to land original series stars Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel to revisit their roles of sweethearts Cory and Topanga, who married before their ABC sitcom ended its seven-season run. The new series would center on their preteen daughter.

Since wrapping Boy, Savage’s TV guest-star gigs have included Bones, Chuck and Without a Trace. Fishel’s post-Boy work includes National Lampoon Presents Dorm Daze and hosting Style Network’s The Dish.
http://tvline.com/2012/11/02/girl-me...-pilot-disney/

Nice little bit of news for me since I loved the original series. Wondering how they will "Disneyfied" the series though...
Old 11-03-12, 10:10 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Disney Channel considering "Boy Meets World" sequel series

I'd be down. Could even be a good TGIF show for ABC.
Old 11-03-12, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 357 Likes on 274 Posts

Between Full House, Step by Step, Family Matters, and Boys Meets World, I probably learned the most from Boy Meets World while growing up (as you know, all those TGIF shows had positive messages at the end of each episode)

Though Step by Step was probably my favorite
Old 11-03-12, 11:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd prefer a Perfect Strangers sequel series.
Old 11-03-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

From a year or two ago:

Old 11-03-12, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

I don't know it could be alright but it seems like they kind of waited a long time to do it since the original series ended in 2000. I sort of liked the show so I'd probably consider checking it out. I wonder if they'd mostly make it focused on Cory and Topanga or if they'd also get the supporting cast from the orignal to show up (Shawn, Mr. and Mrs. Matthews, Eric, Mr. Feeny, etc).
Old 11-03-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I'd be down. Could even be a good TGIF show for ABC.
Which in this case stands for "That Girl I'd Fuck."
Old 11-03-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,704 Likes on 2,662 Posts

I also thought Boy meets World was a cute show. I'm surprised they pitched this to Disney. I think it would be better suited for Abc Family.
Old 11-03-12, 04:37 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Disney currently owns the series.
Old 11-03-12, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
I also thought Boy meets World was a cute show. I'm surprised they pitched this to Disney. I think it would be better suited for Abc Family.
I know it was pretty popular during it's initial ABC run but I think it got even more popular when it was re-ran on Disney Channel. I know that's where I first discovered it at least since they used to run a hour block of it everyday after school. I agree though now days Disney doesn't really air programming like this and seems to air stuff aimed more toward younger kids. This seems like it would be good on ABC or ABC Family.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Disney currently owns the series.
Doesn't Disney also own ABC/ABC Family though?

Last edited by Mike86; 11-03-12 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-03-12, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't know it could be alright but it seems like they kind of waited a long time to do it since the original series ended in 2000. I sort of liked the show so I'd probably consider checking it out. I wonder if they'd mostly make it focused on Cory and Topanga or if they'd also get the supporting cast from the orignal to show up (Shawn, Mr. and Mrs. Matthews, Eric, Mr. Feeny, etc).
Sounds like Cory/Topanga would be secondary characters to their daughter.

Very similar to every other Disney channel "Tween" show. Kids are the main storylines every week, parents occasionally have their own storyline.

I'd love for this to happen. I watched the original when younger, and now I have a daughter that loves all Disney channel shows. Some of them (like "good luck Charlie") are actually pretty decent (as shows to watch with your kids).
Old 11-04-12, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No Minkus, no sale.
Old 11-04-12, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 429 Likes on 310 Posts

Yes Disney owns ABC and ABC Family. This new show could play on any one of the networks.
Old 11-04-12, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it's going to be a tween show, I think it's Disney material. If they aim for teens, it would be ABC Family.

ETA: I guess given the success of the new Tim Allen show, it is conceivable ABC proper could do a throwback type of Friday sitcom night with this on it. I kind of doubt that's where they'd go, though.
Old 11-04-12, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I'm not sure how much I really care about this the more I think of it. I mean if it's going to be centered around their tween daughter then it really gives me no reason to watch it. If they were to make it a whole family based show where occasionally Cory and Shawn or Eric or whoever got a storyline too that'd be a different story. If it's just Cory and Topanga as background characters who don't really do much I guess I don't really care.
Old 11-04-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is a fun idea on paper, but Disney channel sitcoms skew very young, so I doubt there would be much here for old fans of the show. I watch a lot of Disney channel thanks to my little sister, and while I have come to enjoy Good Luck Charlie, most of the shows do not work for anyone over 13 (not that I'm saying they should). If this was going to be on ABC Family, as has been mentioned, I would be more excited. As it stands? This is pretty neat, and I would probably watch an episode or two out of nostalgia.

The great thing about Boy Meets World is the show grew with its audience. It started out like a typical Disney channel show, but as the boys grew the focus of the show aspired to greater things. I was the perfect age for the show (I think I was about a year behind the kids), so this show definitely hit me in all the right ways.
Old 11-08-12, 09:09 AM

Received 4,649 Likes on 3,146 Posts

Danielle Fishel ‏@daniellefishel
Just want you guys to know that @BenSavage and I have talked and we've decided...Thanksgiving is going to be delicious this year!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/07/bo...come-mr-feeny/

'Boy Meets World' sequel: Casting breakdown reveals Cory has become...Mr. Feeny?
Girl Meets World is coming, whether you like it or not… though based on the enormous reaction to our first post about the series, I’m guessing you do. Disney has sent out the first casting breakdown for their highly-anticipated Boy Meets World sequel series — and while it’s short, it contains enough plot info to really whet your appetite for the spinoff.

The breakdown gives descriptions for two of Girl‘s main characters: Riley Matthews, 13-year-old daughter of Cory and Topanga, and Maya Nolastname, her Shawn-esque BFF. Among other things, these blurbs reveal that the Matthewses also have a 14-year-old son named Elliot, that Maya’s going to be “dark and edgy,” whatever that means on a Disney Channel sitcom, and that Cory is apparently working as a history teacher at Maya’s middle school. Look who’s following in the footsteps of Fee-hee-heeeeenay!
A not-so-important note: Girl Meets World must be fudging its numbers a little, unless the show premieres in 2014. The original Boy Meets World ended in 2000; it’d therefore be a little difficult for Cory and Topanga to have a 14-year-old kid now. Then again, the two of them did manage to get through high school in just two years, so anything’s possible. Here’s the full breakdown:

[RILEY MATTHEWS] Please submit all ethnicities. 13 years old, indelible personality, an adorable girl on the cusp of whatever comes next in life, and wanting to rush into it head first. She is fiercely loyal to her friends, and spends most of her time juggling the obstacles that life throws her way, some of those being her father who is also her seventh grade history teacher, her mother who is Topanga, and her brother, Elliot, who is one grade older in school and in life experience and makes sure to always let her know it. But there is no obstacle in this girl’s world that can dampen her bright spirit and eternal optimism. Series Lead.

[MAYA] Please submit all ethnicities. 13 years old. Maya is Riley’s best friend and does not share Riley’s optimism. She is far darker and less trusting of the world. She is an only child and has never known her father, which immediately makes her relationship with both Riley and Cory Matthews very important to her although she’d never admit it. She is not a good student in school, but is a wonderful student of life and absolutely magnetic in attracting or intimidating the people in her sphere as she cares to. Dark and edgy, but just as fiercely loyal to Riley as Riley is to her. Which makes us want to believe that maybe there’s a good heart under the acerbic wit. Or maybe not. Series Regular

But what of Shawn, and Angela, and Plays-With-Squirrels Weird Uncle Eric, and dear old Feeny himself? (I hear he’s living in Minnesota now.) We won’t know until more details surface — but rest assured, we’ll tell you the moment we find out anything new.
The resurrection of "Boy Meets World" might be the greatest news ever for TGIF fans -- AND former cast members who are looking to book a sweet new acting gig.

TMZ spoke with Lily Nicksay -- who played Cory's little sister Morgan from 1993-1995, before being replaced by an older chick.

The now 24-year-old tells TMZ ... She's very excited Disney is revamping the show -- adding, "I'd love to talk [to Disney] about being a part of it."

The news broke this weekend ... the mouse's reboot will be "Girl Meets World" -- and will focus on Cory and Topanga's daughter ... with both Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel reportedly being courted to star.

We're told Lily has NOT been approached yet ... but we're sure there's room for a hot aunt in the script somewhere.

I'm beyond excited for this. I hope they bring back as many of the core family as possible. And I would prefer the original Morgan, as she was an extremely funny and cute child. Now shes hot, and hopefully still funny.

Last edited by dex14; 11-08-12 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-08-12, 09:22 AM
Banned

[RILEY MATTHEWS] Please submit all ethnicities.
Um, what?
Old 11-08-12, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Um, what?
Could be an adopted child... but yes...quite funny.
Old 11-08-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

what about Feeney?
Old 11-08-12, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
what about Feeney?
I can't imagine him not being on atleast the first couple of episodes. The fact that the original creator is writing this, and the 2 main stars are back is an extremely good sign.
Old 11-08-12, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Jeez, Will Daniels is 85 now! He is still acting though.

Didn't really like the show that much, though I did watch most of it. The older brother Eric was always funny. I'd be happy if this is on the Disney Channel and not ABC since I'd prefer the show to avoid the drama and serious issues and just focus on being silly fun.
Old 11-08-12, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger
Jeez, Will Daniels is 85 now! He is still acting though.

Didn't really like the show that much, though I did watch most of it. The older brother Eric was always funny. I'd be happy if this is on the Disney Channel and not ABC since I'd prefer the show to avoid the drama and serious issues and just focus on being silly fun.
Eh... I havent watched the Disney Channel in years so I'm not really sure what their programming is like these days. I think it would be much better suited for ABC Family. Pair it with Melissa & Joey (never watched it) or something along those lines.
Old 11-08-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Eh... I havent watched the Disney Channel in years so I'm not really sure what their programming is like these days. I think it would be much better suited for ABC Family. Pair it with Melissa & Joey (never watched it) or something along those lines.
But if the focus is going to be on the daughter, this would fit in perfectly with the rest of their tween fare. I'm a little surprised that they don't already have an actress or actresses in mind, though, it always seemed to me like their shows were just ways to promote talent they already signed (I think WB does this too with a slightly older group of young actors).
Old 11-08-12, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
But if the focus is going to be on the daughter, this would fit in perfectly with the rest of their tween fare. I'm a little surprised that they don't already have an actress or actresses in mind, though, it always seemed to me like their shows were just ways to promote talent they already signed (I think WB does this too with a slightly older group of young actors).
I just looked at the Disney Channel website to see their programming. If its anything like those shows then just forget it. I don't think the tone should be "tween fare". ABC Family is where a show like this belongs. The original show doesn't fit in with the garbage the Disney seems to be airing.

Last edited by dex14; 11-08-12 at 12:32 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.