Beauty and the Beast (The CW) -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Beauty and the Beast (The CW) -- Series Discussion Thread

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

When she was a teenager, Catherine "Cat" Chandler (Kristin Kreuk, "Smallville") witnessed the murder of her mother. Cat would have been killed too, but someone - or something - saved her. Now, years have passed and Cat is a police officer, investigating a case that leads her to the person who saved her: a doctor named Vincent Keller (Jay Ryan, "Terra Nova"). With the help of his childhood friend J.T. Forbes (Austin Basis, "Life Unexpected"), Vincent has been in hiding, guarding his secret - when enraged, he becomes a terrifying beast, unable to control his super strength. Still, Cat is touched by the person that lives within the Beast and she knows she has to keep her relationship with Vincent a secret from her boss, Joe Bishop (Brian White, "The Shield"), her partner, Tess Vargas (Nina Lisandrello, "Nurse Jackie"), and even from her close friend, Evan Marks (Max Brown, "The Tudors"), the medical examiner. Cat and Vincent are powerfully drawn to one another, but they understand that their connection is extremely dangerous for both of them. Gary Fleder directed the episode written by Sherri Cooper & Jennifer Levin (#100).

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NHdWSJUPl_A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Absolutely love Kristin Kreuk, so this gets an automatic watch.
Old 10-11-12, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Beauty and the Beast -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 10/11/12

Well, I'm not really sure if I liked this, but I'll keep watching for now.
Old 10-11-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was laughably bad, but the kind of bad that can be fun to watch like The Secret Circle.

her partner's new yawk accent was silly, she was a little girl carrying a big .45, vincent hulking out in anger at her, the army turning people into Island of Dr Moreau experiments, her impossibly skinny legs.

i cannot get enough of this show.
Old 10-12-12, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
she was a little girl carrying a big .45.
when she first pulled her gun I really did think something must of been wrong and the gun was over sized for comic effect or something..

over all the show was pretty bad.. It's like they took Angel or even Moonlight and stripped out all the interesting characters. I hope it is just an issue of being a wonky pilot and the eps get better being I like Kristin Kreuk..

errrr even if before the show they ran an ad with her going "Hello I'm Kristin Kreuk and my new show...." and I realized I've been saying her name wrong for years. Anyways, I'll give it a few more eps for sure, just to see what happens.
Old 10-12-12, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
I thought it was laughably bad, but the kind of bad that can be fun to watch like The Secret Circle.
Agree in the first part, disagree on the second.

It was embarrasingly bad AND ungodly boring. How the hell did this shit get greenlit?

Kristen Kreuk is terrible and ridiculously miscast.
Jay Ryan is terrible.
The whole idea of the beast being really gorgeous is terrible.
The plot is terrible.
The production values are terrible.

Not one good thing to say about it.
Worst show of the season
Old 10-13-12, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't know how many people here were old enough to remember the original Beauty and the Beast with Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman back in the 80's, but the premise of that show was pretty ridiculous as well.

Did I think this update was boring? No

Is it really nice to look at? Yes, mainly because Kristin Kreuk is gorgeous and lights up the room in every scene she's in.

What about the acting? That's subjective. I've seen worse.

Yeah the premise of the show is ridiculous. But honestly for 2012, I think making the male lead afflicted with some super soldier serum making him some kind of hulk-like beast makes alot more sense than doing a straight copy and make him a half lion man like the original.

And yes, even though I adore Kristin Kreuk and her beauty, she is grossly miscast as an NYPD Detective. So not credible and way too tiny to be intimidating. at the scene where she was pulling off the martial arts moves. Although Kreuk did play Chun-Li in Street Fighter.

I'll continue to watch mainly for Kreuk. It's looks like this show was designed as a Police procedural crime of the week with a long form plot about Cat trying to find out who killed her Mother. Unless you already watch The Vampire Diaries (It's lead-in) and the CW, I know this show is going to be a really tough sell, especially if you think you already watch enough shows to fill your free time.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-13-12 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-13-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah the premise of the show is ridiculous. But honestly for 2012, I think making the male lead afflicted with some super soldier serum making him some kind of hulk-like beast makes alot more sense than doing a straight copy and make him a half lion man like the original.
That's fine but then don't try to sell it as Beauty And The Beast. The entire premise of that tale is learning to love someone, despite the hideous exterior, for what's on the inside.
In this version she's just horny for him because he's beautiful.
Old 10-14-12, 09:26 AM
Cool New Member

I tried to watch this, but gave up about 30 minutes in. Just didn't hold my interest, and didn't have the feel of the original at all! Oh well, I must have been expecting too much from CW. Nowhere near as good as Secret Circle was last year, IMO.
Old 10-14-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Positives about the pilot: Kristin Kreuk is a beautiful woman and has actually gotten better looking since her days on Smallville. Only in Hollywood do women improve their looks as they age away from their early 20s.

Negatives: Everything else in the pilot or about this show. Casting Kristin Kreuk and that other model-thin female as gritty NY homicide detectives is one of the most ridiculous choices in the history of TV. The pilot was too compressed and covered way too much ground in one episode, not to mention the worst-staged subway fight in years. Apparently Kristin Kreuk's character is really living in the matrix, as she easily took out three other assailants that outweighed her by 400 hundred pounds.

Kristin Kreuk deserves better, but this show is destined to be canceled after one miserable season.
Old 10-18-12, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Beauty and the Beast -- "Proceed with Caution" -- 10/18/12

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
When a rising young ballerina mysteriously falls to her death, Vincent (Jay Ryan) senses that the understudy, Victoria (Elizabeth Blackmore), is hiding information about the dancer's murder. Cat (Kristin Kreuk) and Tess (Nina Lisandrello) discover that the victim tried to file a police report for an assault. Meanwhile, Cat seeks out Vincent's help to decipher a medical paper found in her mother's belongings, and J.T. (Austin Basis) worries that Cat's visits to the warehouse loft leave Vincent vulnerable to discovery by Muirfield's agents. Catherine encourages Vincent to help her investigate deeper into the Muirfield project, but when Vincent refuses, Cat investigates on her own, until her computer is wiped clean by a malicious virus. Tess tries her hand at dating again, but soon discovers that she's unknowingly involved with a married man. Heather (Nicole Gale Anderson) moves out of Cat's apartment after growing uncomfortable with her sister's quest for more answers about their mother's death. Rick Bota directed the episode written by Sherri Cooper & Jennifer Levin (#101).

Promo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2QviAyX02_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-18-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Beauty and the Beast -- "Proceed with Caution" -- 10/18/12

I thought this was much better than last week...
Old 10-19-12, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess it was better then the pilot but this show is still pretty bad...
I'm going to keep watching just to see the train wreck to be honest. Cast seems ok, Kristin Kreuk is hot (duh), back story for the beast is ok but the show's presentation just comes off as a mess IMO..

like the have Kristin Kreuk in an overly complicated street fight (shot in very low light) complete with up the wall round house kicks and so on.. She is getting thrown into brick walls and all this other stuff that in no way she could even sort of take at all of 5'4 100ish pounds..
Then when the beast shows up and it should "get interesting" he of course dispatches the bad guy in 1/2 a second and runs off..

I don't know.. I'm going to catch at least a few more eps with the hope it turn around, if not the show being a train wreck is still interesting to me in a warped sort of way
Old 10-19-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I hate things that are inconsistent in the background. They are interviewing the one girl at the locker and she shuts it and then leaves. They cut to a new angle and the locker is wide open. Another cut and the locker is shut again.
Old 10-19-12, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the show...KK is not like her other roll (Name that is not to be mentioned) in the other show she was in.

But, the Beast should look more like a Beast when he is "Normal", one scar does not make a Beast.

The should keep it as real as possible for a show like this.
Old 10-19-12, 05:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Kristen, but why is the guy a beast ? Just because he has a big scar ? In the original series, you could understand him being called that. He looked liked Pumm-Ra from Thundercats.
Old 10-26-12, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Beauty and the Beast -- "All In" -- 10/25/12

Synopsis:

Iris (Lara Jean Chorostecki), a Bosnian immigrant, is arrested on the suspicion of killing a judge for deporting her brother. Vincent (Jay Ryan) insists that Iris is innocent, so trusting his instincts, Cat (Kristin Kreuk) works behind-the-scenes to uncover the truth. When Cat's actions disrupt the investigation, Joe (Brian White) places her on leave. Nevertheless, she continues on her own to discover that Iris is hiding a family secret, and needs Vincent's help. JT (Austin Basis) is concerned that Vincent risks exposure to Murifield by helping Cat, leading Cat to work out a way to communicate with Vincent without seeking him out. P.J. Pesce directed the episode written by Jeff Rake (#102).

Read more: Listings - BEAUTY AND THE BEAST on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2AO5JwMrq

Episode 3 of 13

The CW ordered 3 scripts this week. So, the chances of this getting a full season are looking good.
Old 10-26-12, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast -- "All In" -- 10/25/12

ah I just can't stop watching this train wreck of a show. I really like it more then I should for some dumb reason. My fav moments from this ep..
1. the just horrible ADR work of dubbing in "Iris" over and over. I'm going to guess she had a more authentic Russian name for the girl and the network monkeys wanted it changed..

2. the bad make up on the beast.. Come on, Angel was shot over a decade ago and the make up was better. To be fair, HD might be to be blame for it looking a bit wonky

3. Swat team ready to go.. she does the whole "We are looking for a guy with brown hair, definitely armed.." etc.. and lets go!! Guns out, go go go.. Full swat team tactical assault!!

Oh wait, I'm getting a phone call

lol

Oh yeah I'm going to keep watching, I'm a sucker for B grade level stuff..
Old 11-01-12, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Beauty and the Beast -- "Basic Instinct" -- 11/01/12

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Vincent (Jay Ryan) revives a 19-year old boy who was left for dead in a dumpster and rushes him to the E.R., where he remains in a coma. After Evan (Max Brown) declares that the boy's x-rays reveal a history of bone fractures, Cat (Kristin Kreuk) and Tess (Nina Lisandrello) question the father, Zachary Holt (guest-star Alex Carter), who worries that his son's ADHD and history of fighting and gambling might have gotten him mixed up with the wrong crowd. The detectives question Lois Whitworth (guest-star Madchen Amick), who owns the Westchester Polo Club where the boy worked. Lois is surprised to learn that her daughter, Clarissa (guest-star Jenn Proske), has been dating this young man. Clarissa claims that she ended the relationship because he was involved in illegal activities, but Cat and Tess suspect that there's more to her story. Meanwhile, Silverfox (guest-star Peter Outerbridge) and his Murifield agents track down Cat, and offer to tell her the truth about her mother in exchange for turning over Vincent, who they insist is a monster. Cat tells Vincent about her Silverfox encounter, and Vincent realizes that Cat might be afraid of him. JT (Austin Basis) wants them to flee, but Vincent refuses to leave Cat, instead offering to surrender to Silverfox in exchange for Cat's safety. Bradley Walsh directed the episode written by Roger Grant (#103).

Episode 4 of 13
Old 11-08-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Beauty and the Beast -- Thursdays (The CW)

Tonight is episode 5 of 22

Vincent (Jay Ryan) is captured on a convenience store surveillance video while preventing a robbery, and Cat (Kristin Kreuk) warns him to be extra careful when his photo appears in the newspaper. Cat and Tess (Nina Lisandrello) investigate the disappearance of a woman named Amy (guest star Annie Murphy), who has gone missing after her fiancee, Dr. Michael Walters (guest star Jeremy Glazer), surprised his bride-to-be by placing their engagement announcement in the paper that morning. Evan (Max Brown) runs Amy's fingerprints and discovers her true identity, while Cat wonders if her disappearance was intentional after Vincent mentions that he and JT (Austin Basis) have an escape plan to clear out of their loft without a trace in a matter of minutes. Later, Michael also goes missing and Joe (Brian White) learns that his team has been deceived. Meanwhile, Heather (Nicole Gale Anderson) is planning a surprise birthday party for her sister, forcing Cat to postpone her birthday plans with Vincent. At the party, Cat and Evan share a surprising moment. Steve Adelson directed the episode written by Blair Singer and Kelly Souders (#104).

Read more: Listings - BEAUTY AND THE BEAST on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2BgSQQLtA

Last edited by DJariya; 11-09-12 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-09-12, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

re: Beauty and the Beast (The CW) -- Series Discussion Thread

I know not many here are watching or just don't care to comment, but The CW ordered a full season today.

http://tvline.com/2012/11/09/beauty-...season-pickup/

Last edited by DJariya; 11-09-12 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-06-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Okay, so I watched the entire season of Beauty and the Beast off Hulu Plus. I know this show never caught on with the folks here.

Well, I just finished it last night (the last 3 episodes). After kind of a shaky start, the show got it's footing with the storytelling and mythology. I got to really like Kristin Kreuk and Jay Ryan's characters. It took awhile but they developed really solid chemistry. I also thought the whole plot with how he became the Beast made much more sense as the season progressed.

My only complaint is that Kristin Kreuk still isn't believable at all as a tough NYPD detective. I wish they would have made Cat Chandler a different occupation and maybe kept a friend as a detective to help her and Vincent out on occasion.

The show got renewed for a 2nd season, but the ratings were never outstanding. So, I was really surprised they wrote a cliffhanger like that with Vincent being captured and Cat's real father being the man who captured him.

Anyway, some interesting plot developments and I look forward to seeing how it progresses.
Old 06-08-13, 05:09 PM

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Since I'm happy to watch Kristin Kreuk in anything I'm glad it was renewed.
Old 06-09-13, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I caught a handful of episodes. Kristin Kreuk is looking better than ever but making her a cop was a poor choice. They should have made her a doctor or something. I did mildly enjoy the episodes I saw, the story seems to have progressed rapidly away from the initial premise.
Old 10-07-13, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Beauty and the Beast (The CW) -- Season 2 Thread

"Who Am I?" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

VINCENT AND CATHERINE REUNITE, BUT VINCENT HAS CHANGED - Three months after Vincent Keller (Jay Ryan) was abducted by Muirfield, Detective Catherine Chandler (Kristin Kreuk), is reunited with him - but not in the way she planned. He's changed: his scar has disappeared, his memory has been wiped clean and he returns as a supercharged beast on a mysterious mission. Catherine needs to unravel the reasons behind Vincent's change if she has any hopes of recovering their epic love, while also trying to solve the secrets that swirl around her own life. Also starring Nina Lisandrello, Austin Basis and Sendhil Ramamurthy. Stuart Gillard directed the episode written by Brad Kern (#201).

This show started out as a police procedural with the B&tB story as a minor backdrop. I know it didn't really catch on here, but I think this was a case that the show got better when the writers figured out the direction. It went 100% serialized probably halfway through last season. I enjoyed it. It grew on me after it went serialized. Kreuk and Ryan started to develop better chemistry and IMO became a much more believable couple.
Old 10-07-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts
Re: Beauty and the Beast (The CW) -- Season 2 Thread

A guilty pleasure. Plus Kreuk is cute.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.