Reload this Page >

Nashville (now on CMT) - Series Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-07-12, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Sorry it doesn't look as professional as the others. Trying to watch the pilot on Hulu. I don't see why this series is getting so much buzz as it is pretty dang bad IMO. I don't see it being very popular amongst people on these forums, so maybe there's no need for a thread each week, but what the hell...
Old 10-07-12, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Nashville (ABC) - Series Thread

iTunes has it. Loved it.
Old 10-07-12, 06:34 PM
Banned

When did ABC turn into Lifetime? Seems like every single series they air either focuses on women or panders specifically to them.

Even the promos for Last Resort play up the abs on the dudes and talk about Scott Speedman looking good in his uniform.
Old 10-07-12, 06:39 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
When did ABC turn into Lifetime? Seems like every single series they air either focuses on women or panders specifically to them.

Even the promos for Last Resort play up the abs on the dudes and talk about Scott Speedman looking good in his uniform.
Revenge.

It was one their only successful shows launched last Season (I'd even be inclined to put Suburgatory into that list as well)
Old 10-07-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting ABC pattern you noticed. CBS seems to be trying to draw men with all of its procedural stuff, ABC trying to draw women with shows that portray them as victims of circumstance, and NBC whomever will watch with whatever they desperately try.

I haven't finished the pilot yet, so maybe it gets better. However, given the writer/creator is Callie Khouri (Thelma and Louise), expect men to be portrayed in a more negative light than the women.
Old 10-07-12, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Because women are a demographic advertisers love. They control the money in the household.
Old 10-08-12, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Because women are a demographic advertisers love. They control the money in the household.
I thought it was men (ages 18-49) that all the advertisers loved because that group buys the most stuff.
Old 10-08-12, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I thought it was men (ages 18-49) that all the advertisers loved because that group buys the most stuff.
Men buy the most "toys", and if it's a married household it has to be approved by the wife, to my understanding.
Old 10-10-12, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There were times this episode drug along, but I like the two warring factions (Connie vs. Hayden), the cross-pollination of said camps, and there's some good music. I'll tune in again for a few more weeks and hope to get further reeled in.

It doesn't hurt that I absolutely adore Connie Britton's acting and think that she's amazingly beautiful as well.
Old 10-10-12, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was really good, and I love the thing with Juliette Barnes and the desperate mom that's always trying to reach her--Apparently she's going to get even more drama in as the show progresses as evidenced by the upcoming scenes sequence--guess that's a way for us to feel sorry for her, but I still hate her.
Love Britten's character, and I have to admit I was waiting for those lines from the promos.
Old 10-10-12, 10:36 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I liked the pilot. I'll stick around for a few weeks to see where it goes.
Old 10-10-12, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved it.

Connie Britton is great, and Powers Boothe is right in his element. Liked the music, too. It's cool that they filmed it in Nashville.

I don't usually nitpick accents, but the actors playing the young couple seemed to struggle with theirs.
Old 10-10-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought it was pretty good.
Old 10-11-12, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Anyone paying attention to ABC would have noticed this starting a few years ago. Almost all of their shows are aimed at women of a certain age. Many shows with soapish elements and casting that is strictly made for female tastes.
Old 10-11-12, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally
but I like the two warring factions (Connie vs. Hayden), the cross-pollination of said camps
yeah the show seems to have everyone linked to everyone one else in some way so that should lead to some good campy drama later on.. Also oth Connie and Hayden look pretty hot on the show, music was ok..

I'll keep watching for now.. of course if the show turned into an hour of connie's character just yelling at people, I'll dump the show. I like campy drama, not too into just watching people yell at each other on shows.
Old 10-11-12, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Anyone paying attention to ABC would have noticed this starting a few years ago. Almost all of their shows are aimed at women of a certain age. Many shows with soapish elements and casting that is strictly made for female tastes.
Pretty much.

The only reason why people don't remember all of ABC's chick-friendly shows because a lot of them fail (Cashmire Mafia, Woman's Murder Club, Pan AM, GCB) and the dudes were too busy focusing on Lost. Shows like The River and Last Resort are considered off-brand for ABC.

Also, more women watch TV these days than men, and there are only a small handful of shows (like Simpsons and Family guys) that are mostly viewed live by men.
Old 10-11-12, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy started all of this. Those two shows along with Lost kept ABC a float for a while. Mix in Dancing with the Stars and you have a demo on lockdown. Desperate Housewives (and Lost but that doesn't really count) started in 2004, Grey's and Dancing with the Stars in 2005.

Nashville scored a 2.8 in the demo last night with 9m viewers, that actually isn't a bad start and it has a better shot than Last Resort at this point.
Old 10-11-12, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched the pilot mostly for Connie Britton. I thought it was ok and I'm sticking around to see where it goes. I also liked Powers Boothe as Lamar.
Old 10-11-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I stand by my original assessment of the show, but will admit that both actresses are perfect for their roles. They both have a country music star look about them, and they are pretty good singers to boot. Powers Boothe as a corrupt SOB is always worth watching as well.
Old 10-11-12, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Revenge.

It was one their only successful shows launched last Season (I'd even be inclined to put Suburgatory into that list as well)
Don't forget "Once Upon A Time".
Old 10-11-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I thought it was great.

I would watch Connie Britton read the phone book. I've adored her since Friday Night Lights and she was solid as Rayna. Perfectly cast. Really surprised how well she sings as well.

I'm also a fan of country music as well and I thought the music was great.

I also liked Hayden Pannettierre as Juliette. The rivlary she has going with Rayna should make for some interesting TV. She's perfect playing an arrogant Ms. Diva. and what a slut too sleeping with the Producer and that other guy (Was he the guy from the bar who she wanted to record his song?)

The only thing that I thought was a little contrived was Juliette having the drugged out mother.

I loved that duet at the end with the waitress. That was a really great song.

Glad to see the premiere did pretty decently.
Old 10-11-12, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it.

Rayna James = Faith Hill?
Juliette Barnes = Taylor Swift?
Old 10-11-12, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Saw it last night and really enjoyed it.

Rayna James = Faith Hill?
Juliette Barnes = Taylor Swift?
That's a good comparison. Although Faith Hill has crossed over into country pop and Rayna seems to loathe doing that. I think Rayna is more like a Reba McEntire, who's more hardcore country.
Old 10-12-12, 02:46 PM

I'm not a huge fan of country music, but I thought this was a great premiere. I'm a huge fan of Connie Britton's from Friday Night Lights so it's good to see her in what looks like a quality show.

The rivalry between her and the younger singer was good. Powers Booth was a nice surprise even if he twirled his villain mustache a bit too much for me, but the mayoral race is a nice twist.

I was surprised at how much I liked both the guitarist playing that song in the cafe and the duet at the end. I guess my taste in country music skews more old-school like Johnny Cash, etc.
Old 10-13-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Could the cast be any whiter? This makes HBO's "Girls" look diverse. Doesn't this take place in the South?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.