Search this Thread

Old 10-28-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Homeland -- "Q&A" -- 10/28/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Brody finds himself imprisoned again, only this time it's in the United States. Meanwhile, Carrie's rash judgment call at the hotel results in Estes trying to keep Jessica off their trail; and Dana's relationship with Finn heats up as their date night takes an unexpected turn.

Episode 5 of 12

Promo:

<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1912086827001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1912086827001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>
Old 10-28-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Homeland -- "Q&A" -- 10/28/12

not even the ridiculous hit and run can taint that great hour of television. We have our Kim Bauer v. Cougar perhaps.

Also, that should lock up Damian Lewis' 2nd Emmy.
Old 10-28-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

This show just crackles when Lewis & Danes are on screen together. It's surprising how rare has been.
Old 10-28-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

Fantastic episode. Damian Lewis was amazing in this episode as was Claire Danes. I love that they still have the rapid pace going. Next week looks like a od one as well.

The hit and run took me by surprise cos I kept expecting them to get hit by another vehicle. Shame they're trying to turn the VP's son into a dick.
Old 10-28-12, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So brody is on-board with the plan, but still not - as he didn't volunteer the codes he stole from estes. I'd love if it him breaking was just all an act.
Old 10-28-12, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn, that interrogation scene with Danes and Lewis was powerful. Other than the interrogation scene in The Master that was the finest scene of acting I've seen this year.
Old 10-29-12, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave99
So brody is on-board with the plan, but still not - as he didn't volunteer the codes he stole from estes. I'd love if it him breaking was just all an act.
Forgot about the codes. In fact he only really acknowledged things they told him or were likely to know already. He did tell them about the tailor, who is no more (which he left out) and some other dead people. His contact (female reporter) is the only one still living that he revealed, not that it would have been hard for them to figure out anyway. He also left out his role in warning Nazir about the strike against him. Brody very easily could be working for the CIA in name only.

The interrogation scenes were gripping.
Old 10-29-12, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing how there never seems to be a letdown episode. This show was slower and it was still pretty much flawless. The interrogation scene was perfect. Those two could have gone toe to toe for an entire episode. Like others have said, when those two are together, time seems to stop.

I'm more impressed by Danes than Lewis, but he's damned good in this role.

As far as Emmys go, I think Danes has her 2nd for lead actress wrapped up. But based on the politics, I think they'll try and spread the wealth next year to another show, so Lewis and Homeland repeating is a long-shot even if they go the rest of the way without making a misstep.
Old 10-29-12, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I liked the first interrogation with the new guy as well, especially when I found out the knife through the hand was all part of his "bad cop" plan. The reveal of the video to Brody was chilling.
Old 10-29-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Really enjoyed the interrogation stuff. I have to admit, at about the 30 minute mark I was hoping the show would have the balls to make the entire rest of the episode all interrogation with him cracking at the end. It was still brilliantly acted and the interaction between Brody and Carrie was amazing. I really like the other guy who was interrogating him too. He's a nice addition to the cast.
Old 10-29-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

at that hit and run and victim. Jesus - did they hire the 90210 writers for that?

It was a good episode before that although I'm also not sure how they make this work with Brody - is he supposed to stay in Congress to carry out this undercover plan?
Old 10-29-12, 11:45 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Great stuff in the interrogation room. The hit-and-run wasn't the sharpest moment this season. Hopefully it amounts to something interesting.
Old 10-29-12, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Great stuff in the interrogation room. The hit-and-run wasn't the sharpest moment this season. Hopefully it amounts to something interesting.
I'm predicting Brody using it to blackmail the VP.
Old 10-29-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I like the new guy too. He was great.

Lewis was amazing of course.

Brody is playing with fire if he thinks he can play both teams, that's what I think he's trying to do here. The CIA is 24/7 on him, watching everything he does. I can't wait to see how they follow this.
Old 10-29-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
It was a good episode before that although I'm also not sure how they make this work with Brody - is he supposed to stay in Congress to carry out this undercover plan?
They didn't go into the details, but yes. They talked about him resigning from politics, but my assumption is that'd be after they capture Abu Nazir. If he were to leave politics now, he'd become useless to Nazir and have no access to his plans.

I don't buy any of this story at face value. I don't buy that Brody's completely in the U.S.'s camp now. And I don't buy that the U.S. will let him go off and tend flowers for the rest of his life even if he helps them capture Nazir. Like Brody's said already, "We were playing each other." And all that hand holding with Carrie? One of the few weapons he has against her is to get her to be emotional and reconnect with him.
Old 10-29-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Raul3
Yeah, I like the new guy too. He was great.

Lewis was amazing of course.

Brody is playing with fire if he thinks he can play both teams, that's what I think he's trying to do here. The CIA is 24/7 on him, watching everything he does. I can't wait to see how they follow this.
I really don't think he is playing both teams, I think he planned on getting caught at some point and had his denials and cracking fully designed and rehearsed.
Old 10-29-12, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MikahC
I don't buy any of this story at face value. I don't buy that Brody's completely in the U.S.'s camp now. And I don't buy that the U.S. will let him go off and tend flowers for the rest of his life even if he helps them capture Nazir.
I don't either, although the VP's influence could change things. Of course as Carrie said when Brody expressed the same sentiment, "You better hope that we can."
Old 10-29-12, 02:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This episode all but outright stated that Finn is the next target, hence the subplot with Dana. But I don't think the hit and run was at all necessary...we'll see how it plays out.

Peter Quinn is a great supporting character. Well acted by Rupert Friend as well.
Old 10-29-12, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Awesome episode...smart of Brody to suggest he made the video but did nothing else. Glad they finally cracked him though. Did he admit knowing the reporter? I didn't pick up on that...I just remember Carrie saying "all dead" when he listed who his contacts were. I was surprised he finally admitted to getting the vest, but he never admitted to WEARING it. Wonder if that's going to come back and be an issue.

And yes, I DO think Brody is going to be playing both sides against the middle...remember in Season 1 how we weren't sure if he was a terrorist or not? Now we're going to be wondering whose side he's really on.
Old 10-29-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

When Finn/Dana hit that random person on the street, I couldn't help but thinking about 'I Know what you did Last Summer' and Ryan Phillipe flipping out telling everyone they take this to the grave!

Otherwise a very compelling episode, as I'm sure the show will continue to throw us curveballs on the motives of every character.
Old 10-29-12, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Did he admit knowing the reporter? I didn't pick up on that.
Yes, he mentioned her by name.

I wonder if the point of this subplot with the daughter is that somehow it will end up involving the VP.
Old 10-29-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I don't think Brody "cracked," either. At most, he was adapting to the situation he found himself in.

He never told the full truth about the vest. He DID trigger it, but it malfunctioned.

He didn't tell them that he is the one who tipped off Nazir. He didn't tell them about the files he stole.

He is not to be trusted.

Who was following Carrie and Brody at the end? I couldn't quite make out the face and don't know if it's someone we've seen and are supposed to know.
Old 10-29-12, 03:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

That was Virgil.
Old 10-29-12, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Now we're going to be wondering whose side he's really on.
Brody's not on anybody's side. He wants to avenge Issa and he wants the country he loves (and served) to be held accountable and to a high standard.

Nobody knows he actually tried to set off the bomb and it didn't work, but there's at least an ounce of truth in Carrie's words. He did decide he wanted to go home to his family. Brody has his own morality created by having emotional investments on both sides of a war. Some of his actions are to carry out his own objectives, and some of his actions are to avoid reprisals from one side or the other.

We just have to see how it plays out.
Old 10-29-12, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

The interrogation scene was amazing. As Carrie was going on her rant about lies and giving into the truth, you just knew that Brodys next line would be him still denying wearing the vest. Still, the line was delivered so perfectly and it hit hard.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.