Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Bought a plasma...now what?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I ordered a panny p60u50 yesterday from amazon and I need to know what to do for the break in period. I know to watch different shows, go full screen most of the time, avoid excessive logos, ect. One thing I am worried about is that I only us an htpc. How long can my desktop be on the screen before I should worry about it burning in? My current dlp blew its 6th bulb in 5 yrs about 8 months ago and I haven ever replaced it. So my htpc Has been sitting and I'm planning on setting up my htpc again a bit different but am afraid to have it on the screen for too long.

I also saw some random guy on YouTube use his music player visualizer to break in the screen. He would just put it on repeat and run it all night. Ive never seen anyone else mention it but it sounds like a good way to me. I wonder if anyone here sees a problem with it.

Any other tips I should know about?
Old 10-26-12, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Bought a plasma...now what?

I never bothered breaking mine in. I just watched normal stuff one it. I've played games on it all day, where you have certain things pretty much constantly on certain sections of the screen that don't really change. If I turn it to a black screen, I can see it a little bit but if I start watching TV, or doing something else, it goes away quickly.
Old 10-27-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Yeah, I never properly broke mine in. I started watching movies immediately. Get yourself the Video Essentials disc to properly calibrate it, though.
Old 10-28-12, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Check out some of the current home theater forms. While some think a reasonable precaution, most think "break in" is not needed with a modern plasma.
Old 10-28-12, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a hundred hours keeping the image dim. Patience pays off.
Old 10-28-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Head over to the AVS Forum - Plasma.... http://www.avsforum.com/f/167/plasma...panel-displays

Some great stuff on breakin and calibration settings. Plasma's are a bit more "touchy" during the first 100or so hours especially to static images like tickers and logos (ESPN, News, Business and some stations). We've had a Panny GT30 55" since the start of the year and the picture has been outstanding. They get better as they age.
Old 10-28-12, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

I'd actually like to see a comparison between two recent makes of plasma, where one's broken in and the other isn't. I see people always talking about how you should do it but I've never seen actual examples. Frankly, I think it's the same sort of category as monster cables being superior to regular cheap cables.
Old 10-28-12, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Mu current Panny Plasma was my first Plasma purchase. So i decided to do the traditional break-in procedure for 150 hours. I still had my Sammy 46" LCD at the time to watch tv during the break-in period.
Old 10-29-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I'd actually like to see a comparison between two recent makes of plasma, where one's broken in and the other isn't. I see people always talking about how you should do it but I've never seen actual examples. Frankly, I think it's the same sort of category as monster cables being superior to regular cheap cables.

I wish I can remember which thread over at the AVS but someone did take some shots of the colored & white slides when they started out and I think about 8-10 months later. You could tell the difference especially the "White" frame. I'll see if i can find it or maybe post the question.
Old 10-30-12, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Pizza
It's a hundred hours keeping the image dim. Patience pays off.
How dim? What happens if I don't?
Old 10-30-12, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had mine since 07. All I did was make sure I watched as much content that filled up the screen as possible and avoided the 4:3 or 2.35 images for extended periods. I also went to tweaktv.com and used their setting which were a great starting point. I tweaked them just a bit for my liking but they were pretty close. From there I just sat back and enjoyed for the last 5 years.
Old 10-30-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chino77
So I ordered a panny p60u50 yesterday from amazon and I need to know what to do for the break in period. I know to watch different shows, go full screen most of the time, avoid excessive logos, ect. One thing I am worried about is that I only us an htpc. How long can my desktop be on the screen before I should worry about it burning in? My current dlp blew its 6th bulb in 5 yrs about 8 months ago and I haven ever replaced it. So my htpc Has been sitting and I'm planning on setting up my htpc again a bit different but am afraid to have it on the screen for too long.

I also saw some random guy on YouTube use his music player visualizer to break in the screen. He would just put it on repeat and run it all night. Ive never seen anyone else mention it but it sounds like a good way to me. I wonder if anyone here sees a problem with it.

Any other tips I should know about?
It's not 2003, you'll be fine. Just calibrate the video using DVE and you're good to go.
Old 11-01-12, 01:46 PM

Have a 42 inch Panny plasma. Just caliberated from tweaktv - using setting for my model number - TV looks great. Just watched lots of normal TV that fills up the whole screen for months, Now I watch movies too. ( i have another bigger TV for movies /hometheater ).
Old 11-13-12, 03:29 AM

Figured I would give a quick recommendation on this tv. After having it for almost 2 weeks now I can say its great. If you don't need 3d or Internet on your tv then definatley look into this one. The picture is beautiful with minor tweaks and the blacks are ridiculous. It's very bare bones but for $900 on amazon what can you expect? I didn't have any problems with burn in and I have close to 200 hrs on it. Reflection can be an issue so keep that in mind it does have the glossy ur coated screen so it does turn into a mirror in certain lighting. Easily solved with dark or black out curtains and the willingness to move a lamp or 2 if needed. That said though...the glare is really only a problem in very dark scenes. Sitcoms, news, reality shows, ect. aren't a problem. What little glare there is during those shows you tend to focus past and not notice unless you look for it. It's seems to do pretty good with wash out too.i can have curtains open directly to the side about 4ft away on a south facing window and watch tv just fine. I am really loving this tv. I was hesitant and almost didn't buy it because of the reflective screen but I am really glad I did. It's also very quiet, I don't hear any whine from the screen. So $900 for a 60" tv, you really can't go wrong. I have an htpc so the Internet apps on the tv were worthless to me and I don't care for 3d.