Last Resort -- "Skeleton Crew" -- 10/25/12

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-12, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Last Resort -- "Skeleton Crew" -- 10/25/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

"Skeleton Crew" - In an attempt to end the standoff on Sainte Marina, Marcus and Sam enter into tense negotiations with the U.S. Government. Meanwhile, when a critical system fails, Grace must take command of the Colorado on a perilous repair operation, on "Last Resort," THURSDAY, OCTOBER 25 (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Read more: Listings - LAST RESORT on ABC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2ANzG0KjI

Episode 5 of 13
Old 10-26-12, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Last Resort -- "Skeleton Crew" -- 10/25/12

I though this ep was really good, pretty gripping scenes.

I don't know how they can possibly make a multi-season series out of this.. but it has a chance to be one really good season.
Old 10-26-12, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

A step better with this episode with the exception of the Admiral going ballistic and not telling Chaplin what he's found out so far. The Colorado should have been destroyed. And again, they're wasting the sub's resources. 4 more torpedoes gone and fuel. Not sure why they just don't stay at a depth with the missles ready to go.

Next week looks like it takes two steps back however.
Old 10-26-12, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Really good episode. I had a feeling it would be based on the preview.

Seeing next week's preview....I agree with devilshalo.

I'm baffled why this show has no interest (inside this forum and ratings wise) and Revolution does, which has far worse writing and acting.
Old 10-26-12, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can we get a Karnes and Braugher show from Ryan out of this development deal?

I'll miss this show when it's gone.
Old 10-26-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
A step better with this episode with the exception of the Admiral going ballistic and not telling Chaplin what he's found out so far. The Colorado should have been destroyed. And again, they're wasting the sub's resources. 4 more torpedoes gone and fuel. Not sure why they just don't stay at a depth with the missles ready to go.

Next week looks like it takes two steps back however.
Wasting? They would have been dead if she hadn't torpedoed the attack sub. Grace don't fire blanks, she put four fish in it. That sub was the source of the debris field she hid in, and rose to missile firing depth. I'm a little surprised her diver wasn't killed by the concussion of the torpedoes relatively nearby, but Seals are tough

However, that sub operated under orders from Washington, who broke the truce line. The way to save torpedoes is to throw one nuke at Washington, for breaking the deal.

They are a nuclear powered submarine. Fuel is the last of their worries. I agree on wasting resources to a degree. All warnng shots must be kill shots. They probably have nine months food, a few years of reactor operation and a limited number of torpedoes and nuclear ballistic missiles.

If the other captain had a go-ahead before the mission and didn't require firing authorization, the Colorado would be dead. I would imagine the other sub captains would like clearer rules of engagement before they engage again. Time makes death, and you shouldn't let politicians control battles.
Old 10-26-12, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,003 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDude
Wasting? They would have been dead if she hadn't torpedoed the attack sub. Grace don't fire blanks, she put four fish in it. That sub was the source of the debris field she hid in, and rose to missile firing depth.
I'm pretty sure Grace fired the Colorado's torpedoes into the underwater shelf/cliff, and that was the source of the debris. I've rewound and watched the scene a few times, and there doesn't appear to be any other sub in view when the torpedoes explode. They don't let the viewer in on that plan at first because they want the audience to believe she's firing on one of the other subs, so that we are surprised when it turns out she isn't.
Old 10-27-12, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Is there any way to watch past episodes on demand? I've been meaning to watch this since it started and keep forgetting.
Old 10-27-12, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I'm pretty sure Grace fired the Colorado's torpedoes into the underwater shelf/cliff, and that was the source of the debris. I've rewound and watched the scene a few times, and there doesn't appear to be any other sub in view when the torpedoes explode. They don't let the viewer in on that plan at first because they want the audience to believe she's firing on one of the other subs, so that we are surprised when it turns out she isn't.
That was how I viewed it as well. the other subs are shooting to kill but the Colorado isn't just yet. I hope we do find out what the SEALs were up to because the look on the Sect of Defense's face whenever Braugher mentioned them was priceless.
Old 10-27-12, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by lisadoris
That was how I viewed it as well. the other subs are shooting to kill but the Colorado isn't just yet.
Exactly. They have to keep the role of good guys.

And I agree with OldDude - subs are designed for long missions - between power and supplies.
Old 10-27-12, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think even more telling about what Grace did was that despite the Admiral executing Valerie Jarrett's stand in and shooting the Secy of Defense, they're going to pretend it didn't happen. It's far harder to do that if a whole sub crew got killed in an engagement.

I think the weeks off are killing this show, not that it was likely to survive. I wonder if the two script order now was a "this is a miss, Shawn, but maybe we'll give you two episodes to wrap up." If so, the good thing is that it should be doable.
Old 10-27-12, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I think the weeks off are killing this show, not that it was likely to survive. I wonder if the two script order now was a "this is a miss, Shawn, but maybe we'll give you two episodes to wrap up." If so, the good thing is that it should be doable.
Frankly, I could live with that since I couldn't envision this being a long term show to begin with.
Old 10-27-12, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
she did shoot a cliff
they've been going out of their way to not hurt any Americans

Just like how their guys on the beach didn't take advantage of the opening the Admiral gave them and shoot all the other guys on the beach
Old 10-27-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I enjoyed this one as well.

The scene in the restaurant lacked a punch to the throat.

Braugher knows how to chew up a scene.
Old 11-03-12, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The last 2 episodes have been strong, as there were less island locals storylines. This episode had some very good scenes, probably my 2nd favorite after the pilot.

VERY worried about next week, though.