Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Classic Horror Films in theaters

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Was your presentation dvd or a real film print?
DVD (boo!)
33.33%
Film (Real Deal!)
66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-12, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

This friday a local theater is playing Night Of The Living Dead. I've watched this film a dozen times but this will be the first i see it in a theater. Very excited! Although i do wish they'd have a triple feature (Night, Dawn, and Day)

Any other classic horror movies at a theater near you?
Old 10-24-12, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Classic Horror Films in theaters

John Carpenter's Halloween is in theaters for the next week or so

http://www.screenvision.com/cinema-events/halloween/
Old 10-24-12, 09:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw The Exorcist when they re-released it years ago. That was on film. Wasn't the theatrical cut, sadly.
Old 10-24-12, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I personally couldn't care less. Have never really noticed much of a difference between film and digital and didn't even know one existed until following movies more closely. I prefer the experience of watching in a dark theater, with super loud speakers, and a well-behaved audience.
Old 10-24-12, 10:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can tell a difference on these digital one-night only screenings. Half the time they're just playing Blu-rays.

I've also seen an original 16mm print of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre on Halloween in a packed theater. That was a hell of a lot of fun.
Old 10-24-12, 10:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I can tell a difference on these digital one-night only screenings. Half the time they're just playing Blu-rays.

I've also seen an original 16mm print of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre on Halloween in a packed theater. That was a hell of a lot of fun.
This is why I refuse to do any of those Fanthom events garbage.

That was one of my most favorite experiences, watching Chainsaw Massacre with Tobe Hooper at the Drafthouse with an original print. Man was it a bad looking, but we had so much fun with it.
Old 10-24-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

The Castro Theatre in San Francisco, CA is one of the last places left in the Bay Area that does these.

Lots of Double Features!

http://www.castrotheatre.com/

The Clay Theatre in San Francisco, CA used to do this and call it 'Landmark After Dark', but that has been gone for a couple years now
Old 10-25-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

Cinefamily over here in L.A. is screening all 4 Alien films in 35 mm starting November 2nd. They're also screening Ringu tonight, with the director in person.

And next week they're doing the 100 greatest kills in film:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/51584125?badge=0" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Cinefamily's Most Outrageous Kills 2012 (trailer) from Cinefamily on Vimeo.

Old 10-25-12, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Being 55 I saw a lot of these when released. Night of The Living Dead would have midnight showings regularly during the 70s. Have to go further back. Saw double feature of 1931 Frankenstein/Dracula on Thanksgiving Day 1968. 3-D reissue of House of Wax around 1971. Fiftieth anniversary screening of The Thing in 2001. Forrey Ackerman and Robert Cornwaithe were there.
Although not a classic at the time, had a friend who went to Catholic school and went with him to a school party around 1970. There was soft drinks, hot dogs and popcorn in the school gymnasium. And lots of Catholic school girls. They set up a 16mm projector and turned out the lights. Watched Dracula Has Risen From The Grave surrounded by screaming Catholic school girls in the dark.
Old 10-25-12, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jaws is playing Friday night at the Jacob Burns Film Center (Westchester County, NY). http://www.burnsfilmcenter.org/

They sometimes toss in some classic horror...they showed a new print of Alien and Aliens a few years ago on a double bill.
Old 10-25-12, 07:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

all the Alien films including Prometheus are being shown at the AFI Silver at the beginning of November:

ALIEN: Retrospective / November 2–7

as for the a preference, film definitely, but if they can get a DCP instead of showing a dvd/bluray I'm all for it.