Survivor: Phillippines -- "Down & Dirty" -- 10/24/12

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-12, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Survivor: Phillippines -- "Down & Dirty" -- 10/24/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Summary:

"Down and Dirty" - As castaways get down and dirty to battle it out for a fruitful feast, in an unprecedented move, opposing tribes take to the bargaining table to strike a deal mid-challenge, on SURVIVOR: PHILIPPINES, Wednesday, Oct. 24 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

CASTAWAYS:

Castaways competing on SURVIVOR: PHILIPPINES (in alphabetical order by tribe):

KALABAW:
Sarah Dawson (6 voted off)
Katie Hanson
Jeff Kent
Dana Lambert (Quit on 10/17, 5th off)
Jonathan Penner
Denise Stapley
Carter Williams

TANDANG:
Malcolm Freberg
Abi-Maria Gomes
Roberta "RC" Saint-Amour
Artis Silvester
Lisa Whelchel
Peter "Pete" Yurkowski
Michael Skupin

MATSING:
Zane Knight (1st voted off)
Angie Layton (3rd voted off)
Roxanne "Roxy" Morris (2nd voted off)
Russell Swan (4th voted off)

SURVIVOR: PHILIPPINES is hosted by Emmy Award-winning host Jeff Probst and produced by SEG, Inc. Mark Burnett, Jeff Probst and David Burris are executive producers and Leisa Francis is co-executive producer.

Read more: Listings - SURVIVOR on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2AFsSpSlb
Old 10-24-12, 10:19 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts
Re: Survivor: Phillippines -- "Down & Dirty" -- 10/24/12

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Worst ep yet... but I have a feeling it'll get better.
Old 10-24-12, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Now I'm seeing why Carter didn't get any airtime. Though he gave us one gem.

Carter (to Penner): "What do you think? Katie or Penner?"

If Penner noticed, he hid it well. Jeff was probably thinking, "Jesus, Carter is an idiot. I better stick with Penner."
Old 10-25-12, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I think Denise is a jinx. Every time there's an IC, her tribe loses.
Old 10-25-12, 12:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The whole Tandang tribe is annoying except for RC and Malcolm.
Old 10-25-12, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
The whole Tandang tribe is annoying except for RC and Malcolm.

And Lisa!

Carter (to Penner): "What do you think? Katie or Penner?"
Old 10-25-12, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Was anyone else irritated by the forfeit of the challenge. Yeah, a deal was made but I felt they should have made them complete the challenge period. None of this dealmaking/forfeit business.

And once again Jeff throws out lots of comments in regards to challenges to plant seeds in people's minds, especially in regards to the Brazilian chick sitting out another challenge. I could have sworn years ago that they did not let people sit out back to back challenges as a rule. Am I remembering that incorrectly? If I am not, when and why did they change that rule (which I feel is a good one)?
Old 10-25-12, 07:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by redsea
And Lisa!

Oh yeah Lisa too.
Old 10-25-12, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

They really need to create a big boogs immunity that gets you to at least the merge. First Miss Utah and now this.

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Was anyone else irritated by the forfeit of the challenge. Yeah, a deal was made but I felt they should have made them complete the challenge period. None of this dealmaking/forfeit business.
I was irritated by the challenge itself. It didn't seem very well thought out by the producers unless they simply wanted to see contestants rolls around in mud for over an hour.
Old 10-25-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I was irritated by the challenge itself. It didn't seem very well thought out by the producers unless they simply wanted to see contestants rolls around in mud for over an hour.
Though they've done this challenge before and didn't have this problem. Usually contestants rolling around in mud is a good thing. But contestants lying around the big ball for over an hour not moving is not.

As long as it's not a regular occurrence, I don't have a problem with the forfeit. It's not like the challenge was entertaining to watch. It throw a survivor-element monkey wrench into one tribe (now they have to live off the land), and spurred some friction between tribemates. I laughed at Penner's tiny fish bounty later on, while he was trying to take the heat off himself by telling the others: "I don't know about you, but I'm feeling full!"
Old 10-25-12, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I remember similar challenges to this, but not exactly like this (3 on 3, in mud, huge ball). Goal scoring in this scenario seemed pretty much impossible, and they even wanted 3 for the winning team.
Old 10-25-12, 10:22 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

That challenge without Katie, RC or the brazilian chick rolling around in the mud, was pointless
Old 10-25-12, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

I could have sworn years ago that they did not let people sit out back to back challenges as a rule. Am I remembering that incorrectly? If I am not, when and why did they change that rule (which I feel is a good one)?
The rule was, you could not sit out the same person in back-to-back reward/immunity challenges. It does not apply to back-to-back immunity/immunity challenges, or immunity/reward (i.e. next cycle), or combined reward/immunity challenges. Only within one reward/immunity cycle.

I believe the rule is still in effect, they're just not saying it in the broadcast. In this season, we've only had 2 reward/immunity cycles (this episode and last episode). In last episode's reward, the teams were even, so no one sat out. In this episode's reward challenge, you'll notice that Abi played, so that she could sit out for the immunity challenge.

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I remember similar challenges to this, but not exactly like this (3 on 3, in mud, huge ball). Goal scoring in this scenario seemed pretty much impossible, and they even wanted 3 for the winning team.
Yeah, I wonder how it went when this challenge was tested with the Dream Team. I'm sure they certainly didn't intend its design to be 1+ hour/round.
Old 10-25-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a small hunch if 2 non returnees had tried to cut a deal during a challenge Jeff would have told them to suck it up and continue on. And it's kinda even douchier then usual then his usual self with him scolding people who sit out the challenge when he as Producer makes the rules that allowed said player to keep sitting out.
Old 10-25-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I was OK with the deal. There have often been deals in stamina challenges--not quite the same thing but there wasn't really anything to watch here.

And once again Jeff throws out lots of comments in regards to challenges to plant seeds in people's minds, especially in regards to the Brazilian chick sitting out another challenge. I could have sworn years ago that they did not let people sit out back to back challenges as a rule. Am I remembering that incorrectly? If I am not, when and why did they change that rule (which I feel is a good one)?
Originally Posted by Todd B.
The rule was, you could not sit out the same person in back-to-back reward/immunity challenges. It does not apply to back-to-back immunity/immunity challenges, or immunity/reward (i.e. next cycle), or combined reward/immunity challenges. Only within one reward/immunity cycle.

I believe the rule is still in effect, they're just not saying it in the broadcast. In this season, we've only had 2 reward/immunity cycles (this episode and last episode). In last episode's reward, the teams were even, so no one sat out. In this episode's reward challenge, you'll notice that Abi played, so that she could sit out for the immunity challenge.
I've commented on this in the game thread, but the declaration of the rule has been conspicuously absent this season, and this "one man and one woman" thing is to my knowledge brand new. The fact that it was declared makes me believe that there have been no restrictions on earlier challenges, which is pretty stupid, especially when one tribe--which has MY player on it --is getting wiped out.

ToddB could be right and it just hasn't been declared on air, and I haven't analyzed who all has sat out. I also don't recall Jeff ever specifying what kind of challenges apply--I just remember "a player cannot sit out back-to-back challenges." Again, I could be wrong, and I haven't done a close study, but it seems like this is a significant change.
Old 10-25-12, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

The other thing that made the challenge really difficult was that the goal was not that much larger than the ball. It would have been an even more impossible standoff if it had gotten stuck behind the goal.
Old 10-26-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I've commented on this in the game thread, but the declaration of the rule has been conspicuously absent this season, and this "one man and one woman" thing is to my knowledge brand new.
The gender specific sit-outs been done before (all the time, in fact). It depends on the gender compositions of the two teams at that time, and if there are any specific gender match-ups.
Old 10-27-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Katie looks a lot like Christina Applegate.
Old 10-28-12, 12:10 AM

^
don't see that resemblance.

I wish they had voted Carter off.
Old 10-29-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan
That challenge without Katie, RC or the brazilian chick rolling around in the mud, was pointless
This. It was disappointing for sure.

And they need to stop buying out hot chicks.