Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

TDKR cinematographer, Wally Pfister Says, 'The Avengers' Is "Appalling"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-12, 02:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are certain corners of the internet (or IMDB message boards) -- ones we usually dare not venture to -- where nerds battle it out over which comic book movie this summer was better: Joss Whedon's record breaking "The Avengers" or Christopher Nolan's epic finale "The Dark Knight Rises." And now, Nolan's regular director of photography, Wally Pfister, has thrown another provocative statement into the ring with his own unbridled assessment of the smash-hit Marvel movie.

Sitting down the Sarasota Herald Tribune, he was asked about what the most important element was when shooting a movie. "What’s really important is storytelling. None of it matters if it doesn’t support the story," he said. "I thought 'The Avengers' was an appalling film. They’d shoot from some odd angle and I’d think, why is the camera there? Oh, I see, because they spent half a million on the set and they have to show it off. It took me completely out of the movie. I was driven bonkers by that illogical form of storytelling."

Oh, burn. We suppose Seamus McGarvey ("We Need To Talk About Kevin," "Anna Karenina"), the very accomplished, Oscar-nominated cinematographer on "The Avengers," won't be exchanging holiday greetings with Pfister. But when he wasn't taking down the biggest movie of the year, Pfister teased what we might expect from his directorial debut. The hush-hush movie is being produced by his buddy Nolan and his wife Emma Thomas, and of course, details have been kept strictly under wraps. "It’s a present-day science fiction film, a fairly big concept. It’s bigger budget — not as big as 'Batman,' but not independent," he offered about the untitled film that will shoot early next year.

Finally, what's the movie that was his favorite to shoot? "I think probably the most artistically fulfilling was 'The Prestige.' It was fun to shoot a period piece, to create a world," he said. "But I also enjoyed the scope of 'Inception.' I was able to capture things the way I saw them in my head and I felt like I’d matured as a cinematographer. Of the Batman films I liked my work best in the last one, of course, because anything I felt I’d done wrong on each one, I’d right on the next one."
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...film-20121017#
Old 10-18-12, 02:58 AM
Banned

Re: The Dark Knight Rises cinematohrapher, Wally Pfister Says, 'The Avengers' Is "App

Blah, can someone fix the title?
Old 10-18-12, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises cinematohrapher, Wally Pfister Says, 'The Avengers' Is "App

Read about this earlier. They're both in the ASC, so this might lead to some awkward times in the clubhouse.
Old 10-18-12, 04:37 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

sour grapes.
Old 10-18-12, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I wouldn't call the photography of The Avengers appalling. Bland, yes, but not appalling.

But it really doesn't matter since, even though Whedon still needs to grow as a visualist (directors can adversly affect the work of the DP), The Avengers was far more entertaining than The Dark Knight Rises. And I say that as a huge Batman fan.
Old 10-18-12, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I would say that TDKR was much better shot than The Avengers. Easily. He's right on that.

But Avengers was a better movie. By a scratch.
Old 10-18-12, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
sour grapes.
This.

Both were great, both made bank. Whats the point?
Old 10-18-12, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts

In response, Seamus McGarvey said the The Dark Knight Rises was horrib
Old 10-18-12, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The Avengers was pretty poorly shot for such a high profile movie, so he has a point, but it sort of went with the movie's bubblegum aesthetic. I will say it didn't look as bad as the trailers made it look, though.
Old 10-18-12, 08:11 AM
Banned

sour grapes.
Over what? And please don't use the 'it made more money argument'. That would be pretty weak.
Old 10-18-12, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
The Avengers was pretty poorly shot for such a high profile movie, so he has a point, but it sort of went with the movie's bubblegum aesthetic. I will say it didn't look as bad as the trailers made it look, though.
The shots look like it was composed as a made for TV production. I believe we had a long discussion about this when the trailers first came out.
Old 10-18-12, 08:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

he obviously missed the worst shot movie of the year Step Up Revolution - that had dozens of "wtf?" camera angles/shots.
Old 10-18-12, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giles
he obviously missed the worst shot movie of the year Step Up Revolution - that had dozens of "wtf?" camera angles/shots.
That movie was so frustrating. You have a beautifully choreographed dance number and instead you show me dozens of shots of people watching the dancing?
Old 10-18-12, 08:53 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
Over what? And please don't use the 'it made more money argument'. That would be pretty weak.
The Avengers ended up stealing a summer, both in terms of BO and universal positive reviews, where TDKR was expected to rule all.
Old 10-18-12, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Step Up Revolution? WTF?
Old 10-18-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Talk about peer criticism at its finest. When I was watching Avengers and TDKR, I never wondered why the angle was set a certain way. I didn't care, though I will say I do think TDKR had better cinematography. Avengers was appropriate for the fast paced action-flick it was.

EDIT: On the other hand, the one for Avengers knew to make sure ScarJo's ass was front and center whenever possible, can't say the same for TDKR and Hathaway's.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 10-18-12 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-18-12, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the kind of stuff I don't necessarily notice because I'm not an Oscar-winning cinematographer. I'm sure any other professional in the industry would nitpick niggling details the majority of us gloss right over.
Old 10-18-12, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....I read about this eariler as well. I don't get it. The Avengers is shot fine. TDKR's is superior though. But....I don't see any weird ass camera angles for no reason. Everything made sense. It was simpler but it was fine. Now if they fix that color palette a bit and I guess go more cinematic w/ their shots..sure..it'd be better but it wasn't appalling.
Old 10-18-12, 10:13 AM
Banned

The Avengers ended up stealing a summer, both in terms of BO and universal positive reviews, where TDKR was expected to rule all.
I don't know about that especially the first part where The Avengers stole the summer but whatever. That really has nothing to do with sour grapes as far as Pfister comments. His comments were about the way the movie was shot not about which movie was the event of the summer.
Old 10-18-12, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because it's never about making more money or being box office champ in the movie biz.

How about competing super hero franchises?

Or the new boy has arrived on the playground?

Or, simply that one movie is slanted more for Obama's America and the other is slanted toward Romney's vision? Yes. That is what they're really bickering about.
Old 10-18-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
EDIT: On the other hand, the one for Avengers knew to make sure ScarJo's ass was front and center whenever possible, can't say the same for TDKR and Hathaway's.
That's because, despite being a lovely looking woman, Hathaway has an ass that's flatter than a day old soda. Her stund double, on the other hand, seemed to have a nice booty.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
....I read about this eariler as well. I don't get it. The Avengers is shot fine. TDKR's is superior though. But....I don't see any weird ass camera angles for no reason. Everything made sense. It was simpler but it was fine. Now if they fix that color palette a bit and I guess go more cinematic w/ their shots..sure..it'd be better but it wasn't appalling.
Cap being shot almost exclusively from the reflection of a broken side view mirror was definitely a weird ass angle that seemed to serve no real purpose. A brief bit of hand to hand during Loki and Thor's fight late in the film was also horribly shot. The Hawkey-Black Widow fight had some minor issues with shakey cam.

Those are the only three instances that come to mind. Everything else was bland rather than horrible. Competently shot but bland nonetheless.
Old 10-18-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about that especially the first part where The Avengers stole the summer but whatever. That really has nothing to do with sour grapes as far as Pfister comments. His comments were about the way the movie was shot not about which movie was the event of the summer.
Sure, the comments were about how the movies were shot, but comments I doubt he would have made if Avengers tanked and Dark Knight Rises didn't get it's thunder stolen a tad.
Old 10-18-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

At least it wasn't shot as bad as the fight scenes in Batman Begins?
Old 10-18-12, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pizza
Sure, the comments were about how the movies were shot, but comments I doubt he would have made if Avengers tanked and Dark Knight Rises didn't get it's thunder stolen a tad.
That's a lot of assumptions there.
Old 10-18-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Talk about peer criticism at its finest. When I was watching Avengers and TDKR, I never wondered why the angle was set a certain way. I didn't care, though I will say I do think TDKR had better cinematography. Avengers was appropriate for the fast paced action-flick it was.

There was that shot where Hathaway leans forward while on top of the Batpod. Superb ass.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.