Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Defiance -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- From creators of Farscape & Alien Nation

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Defiance -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- From creators of Farscape & Alien Nation

Old 10-16-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

The series is set in the near future, where aliens known collectively as Votans have come to Earth seeking a new home after their solar system was destroyed. However, when they reached Earth they discovered that despite a prolonged negotiation with the government on Earth they were not welcome. Rather than turn away, they began a war with the humans as they are determined to make Earth their new home. During the war, the Votans drop terraformers on the planet and transform the surface of the planet; scorching the earth, opening chasms in the ground and covering the surface of the planet in dust and debris. After decades of war, a ceasefire is declared when both side realise that they must focus on survival on this new almost alien planet. The series largely revolves around the character of Jeb Nolan. Jeb was only ten years old when the Votans arrived and he served in the military during the war. With the war now over, he returns to his hometown of St Louis to find that its is no longer the city he left; it is little more than refugee camp. Deciding that his services are needed, Jeb takes up a position as the Chief Lawkeeper in Defiance, so he can protect the town from dangerous clashes between humans and aliens, military scavengers and others dangerous visitors who occasionally enter the town.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-15-13 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-16-12, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Defiance -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- From creators of Farscape & Alien Nation

Is this still tied in with a video game?
Old 10-16-12, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk God

re: Defiance -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- From creators of Farscape & Alien Nation

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Is this still tied in with a video game?
Yes, I believe so. The show website also promotes the game.
Old 01-07-13, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

A couple of new trailers were released:

<iframe width="300" height="170" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" src="http://www.syfy.com/_utils/video/embed.php?/videos/small/_vid2606367"></iframe>

EW.com also has a 1:30 trailer. No embed though

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/07/defiance-trailer-2/
Old 04-01-13, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any reviews of the Series or the game yet?
Old 04-01-13, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 228 Likes on 133 Posts

The first 14 minutes of the pilot are up on the SyFy site.
Old 04-01-13, 01:55 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Any reviews of the Series or the game yet?

http://io9.com/our-spoiler-free-revi...defi-453388225
Old 04-01-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

I didn't know there was a show. I've only seen ads for the game.

Is the game any good?
Old 04-01-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From the Io9 review:

TL;DR: The Verdict

On a Syfy scale of Battlestar Galactica to Piranhaconda, Defiance is in the upper middle. It's got heaps of promise and an amazing cast. Main character Irisa has a chance to become a new favorite round these io9 parts. It's got a lot of heart and so far is a lot of fun. Fingers crossed this series isn't afraid to kills off a few characters wild west style, and we'll stick around for season 2.
Old 04-01-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Its so strange to see something that's sci-fi on SyFy.
Old 04-01-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Its so strange to see something that's sci-fi on SyFy.
So true. I watch Merlin and Lost Girl on SyFy, meanwhile BBC America has Dr Who, Orphan Black, The Nerdist, and TNG reruns.
Old 04-02-13, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another positive review, minor spoilers ahead:

http://www.the-trades.com/article.php?id=13480

Where the show shines is in the potential via the color palette SyFy has created with eight races, factions within these races and a mysterious force attempting to wipe Defiance off the map. Defiance delivers plenty of content and powerful storytelling. To me, a great story shouldn’t be definable. It should be able to use humor, drama, suspense, action, and more. Defiance delivers on all fronts.
Old 04-10-13, 05:59 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking forward to this
Old 04-11-13, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

Just watched the "First 14 min"...really looks interesting with all the different characters (races) involved. I just hope this doesn't get too bogged down with too many sub-plots within plots where you get bored or to confused. Looks like Mad Max meets Babylon 5.
Old 04-11-13, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
From the Io9 review:

TL;DR: The Verdict

On a Syfy scale of Battlestar Galactica to Piranhaconda, Defiance is in the upper middle. It's got heaps of promise and an amazing cast. Main character Irisa has a chance to become a new favorite round these io9 parts. It's got a lot of heart and so far is a lot of fun. Fingers crossed this series isn't afraid to kills off a few characters wild west style, and we'll stick around for season 2.

Hold up, there's a movie called Piranhaconda?!? Must watch!
Old 04-11-13, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I head about this in a videogame preview. The concept sounds really cool. If a character on the show leaves the city, the next day he'll appear in the videogame city.
Old 04-12-13, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched the making of Defiance special the other night and the show looks good. I will watch because I like several of the cast members.
Old 04-13-13, 04:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DJariya - Thanks for posting "New Series From the creator of Farscape & Alien Nation" in the thread header. I was planning to skip this (mainly saw it as SyFi + game tie in = bleh), but had no idea that Rockne S. O'Bannon was involved.

Looking forward to giving it a try!
Old 04-13-13, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Cool. I'm going to make this as the season thread. Thread title will help get a few more eyes on it.
Old 04-15-13, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Bump

Premieres tonight on SyFy

2 Hour Pilot which counts as 2 episodes. 13 episodes were ordered.

Synopsis:

The arrival of the mysterious Nolan and his charge Irisa to the town of Defiance marks a threat to the fragile peace that exists between the residents in the premiere of this futuristic drama, which is set in the year 2046, more than 30 years following a war between humans and aliens that left Earth forever changed.

Rockne S. O'Bannon is the creator of the show.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_pQMflDA8bI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I will not be doing weekly threads for Defiance. Even though it's a heavily serialized science fiction space adventure, activity in this forum is too slow.
Old 04-15-13, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk God

BTW, I added a cast photo in the OP.
Old 04-16-13, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Enjoyed it. I'll keep watching, and I may even check out the game.
Old 04-16-13, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 331 Likes on 216 Posts

I'll have to check this out--Farscape was one of my favorite shows ever.
Old 04-16-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Just like Farscape, I'm sure it'll get better as it goes too, and again like Farscape, SyFy will cancel it right when it gets really good and before they're able to finish it.
Old 04-16-13, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 972 Likes on 605 Posts

I liked it well enough. The characters are a bit cliche, but hopefully they'll have some depth. The lead guy is especially over-the-top as a Scoundrel, but likable enough.

I thought it was visually very well done. The SFX were good and you really got a sense of a ravaged Earth during the opening scenes and that they're living in a "wild west" society.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.