TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

'Louie' season four to air in 2014

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
'Louie' season four to air in 2014

'Louie' season four delayed until spring 2014

"Louie" will take an extended hiatus — the fourth season of "Louie" will air in the spring of 2014.

The decision comes per request from series mastermind Louis C.K., who wants more breathing room in creating the next season.

He anticipates the show will begin shooting in September for a May 2014 launch, which will allow him to space out the shooting and editing schedules.

"The last three seasons have been this surge of fun and work and stories and it's been great, but I want the show to keep getting better," C.K. said in a conference call with reporters today. "That's my goal, and I don't want it to be making the donuts, I want it to be something that comes from somewhere important and stays funny. It's a luxury I asked for ... season four is my job right now, but I'm going to take a whole lot of time to turn it in.

"I want season four to go somewhere new, even if it's only a slight shift."
He also said that he thinks in trilogies and that the first three seasons completed one such trilogy, and so he wanted to take some time to set up the next trilogy. He speculated that, "pie in the sky," the show might go nine seasons — i.e., three trilogies.

"This is certainly one of the finest television series I've ever had the opportunity to work on," FX prexy John Landgraf said."It's been unbelievable to see what Louis' been able to do when left to his own devices."

Landgraf said he and C.K. talked about deconstructing the sitcom form from the very beginning and not being wedded to traditional structure.

"My goal from the very beginning is not to force Louis to adapt his skills to a specific structure of story," Landgraf said. "Why does it have to be one thing? Why can't it be anything Louis wants it to be? Louis will do whatever he wants to do, and we'll try to figure out from a channel standpoint how to support that.

"You have to live as an artist in order to grow and recharge your batteries, and sometimes there's not enough time to live when you have a really successful show."

C.K. said that he's "eager" to get back on the air but that the desire to make the show better superceded that, though he realized he was putting more pressure on himself to deliver.

"Louie" won this year's Emmy for comedy writing and was nominated for two others. C.K. was nominated for three other Emmys for his "Live at the Beacon Theater" comedy special.
http://weblogs.variety.com/thevote/2012/10/louie.html
Old 10-09-12, 02:17 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: 'Louie' season four to air in 2014

Saw him live the other night. He's still got it. It'll be a long wait, but likely worth it.
Old 10-09-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I assume Louis CK has other gigs in addition to working on this show and he needs more time to prep a season. There is no writing staff for this show, so Louis has to do all the work in addition to directing. IMO, it's a fair compromise to give him more time and keep the show fresh.
Old 10-09-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

ya saw him live also on Saturday, was hilarious
Old 10-09-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Going to see him Friday in Detroit... Can't wait!
Old 10-09-12, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sucks in that I want more sooner. It's understandable, though.
Old 10-09-12, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Just a guess, but since FX recently ordered 90 new episodes of Anger Management, that will probably fill the summer programming void of Louie. I doubt they will greenlight a new 30 minute comedy for the summer.
Old 10-10-12, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just a guess, but since FX recently ordered 90 new episodes of Anger Management, that will probably fill the summer programming void of Louie. I doubt they will greenlight a new 30 minute comedy for the summer.
That is like apple and oranges comparing the two, but I see where you're going. Ugh. LOVE Louie, LOATHE Anger Management. As much a Louis C.K. has tried to deconstruct the sitcom, that show has quadrupled its embrace grip on it.

Take you're time, Louis. I'll be anxiously awaiting S4 whenever it's ready to air!
Old 10-28-12, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

I wish more shows would take this track, pausing to get the creativity together instead of just churning out 22 new shows each year. Why does a TV show HAVE TO be on every single year? It dosen't bother me to have to wait a couple of years between books or the installment of each Star Wars movie, why is TV different?

Perhaps the reason you won't find a year gap in the schedule of THE OFFICE or whatever is because most of the audience is watching out of habit rather than a genuine interest in the show.
Old 10-28-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because if a show has been able to be creative without taking hiatus' then why do I have to wait now?
Old 10-28-12, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I wish more shows would take this track, pausing to get the creativity together instead of just churning out 22 new shows each year. Why does a TV show HAVE TO be on every single year? It dosen't bother me to have to wait a couple of years between books or the installment of each Star Wars movie, why is TV different?

Perhaps the reason you won't find a year gap in the schedule of THE OFFICE or whatever is because most of the audience is watching out of habit rather than a genuine interest in the show.
Because the big networks need to program for 8 months per year for the advertisers. Louie can afford to take the time off since he's essentially a 1 man crew since he writes, directs and oversees production by himself.

Network shows employ hundreds of freelance staff from lighting, camera, catering, hair & makeup, wardrobe in addition to the writers, producers. They cannot afford to take 2 years off. So many people would be unemployed. You have to think about the bigger picture here with shows that air 22 episodes per season. Alot of people are counting on that income to survive. Movies are an entirely different entity.
Old 10-28-12, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Yea. It's definitely about the money and risk. When you're prime time on a network, you can't just not be in sync with the season. Nor can you disappear, have your time slot replaced, etc. - and then just come back.