Search this Thread

Old 10-07-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Boardwalk Empire -- "Blue Bell Boy" -- 10/07/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
With Johnny Torrio out of town, Al Capone takes matters into his own hands in the escalating feud with rival Chicago mobster Dean O'Banion. Meanwhile, in Atlantic City, Nucky and Owen find themselves in an unexpected holding pattern in a makeshift warehouse for illegal booze, but Eli doesn't trust Mickey's judgment on a liquor delivery for Arnold Rothstein in the boss' absence; and in New York, a nervous Luciano is called to a meeting with Joe Masseria.

Episode 4 of 12

If you missed it, HBO renewed this for a 4th season last week.
Old 10-07-12, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Boardwalk Empire -- "Blue Bell Boy" -- 10/07/12

"Allowing you to simply go to prison is the last gift I'm going to give you". Nucky wasn't messing around in this episode. He seemed to kill that kid just to prove a point to Owen.

I dont think Nucky can ignore Mickey's incompetence any longer. Especially without Horvitz around to keep him in line. Although he may not trust Eli he has to realize he needs him.
Old 10-07-12, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

Did he say the last gift or the greatest gift?
Old 10-07-12, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last Gift.
Old 10-08-12, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Fuck! I liked the kid. I knew it was going to happen when Nucky gave him the cigarette.

I think it was definitely a statement to Owen. I also think it may have the opposite effect, given the scene with Richard last episode.
Old 10-08-12, 02:38 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another fantastic episode. Everything was great except the awful Margaret stuff. I'm interested in where Nucky and Eli go from here, and if a young Bugsy Siegel makes his bones in the near future.
Old 10-08-12, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I love how this show rarely disappoints with the nudity.
Old 10-08-12, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Showing the humane side of Al Capone was a nice touch - how they portray him with his son.
Old 10-08-12, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I was thinking about how they are showing Capone.

It seems to me that his son is more there for him, rather than he being there for his son.

Case in point - he gets annoyed at his son because another kid hit him, rather than hug him, he yells at his wife, and then scares the little boy when he is forcing him into fighting (none of us here would have sympathy with a dog breeder who takes a puppy and and scares it until it fights back in an attempt to "toughen it up")

Then after Capone takes a man's life, not just by shooting him, but by beating him with his bare hands, he comes home and wants to spend time with his son... maybe as a way of feeling human again, or one act of kindness offsets his atrocious behavior.

This rings of extreme narcissistic behavior - not a "humane" side to a man
Old 10-08-12, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.

It seems to me that his son is more there for him, rather than he being there for his son.

Case in point - he gets annoyed at his son because another kid hit him, rather than hug him, he yells at his wife, and then scares the little boy when he is forcing him into fighting (none of us here would have sympathy with a dog breeder who takes a puppy and and scares it until it fights back in an attempt to "toughen it up")

Then after Capone takes a man's life, not just by shooting him, but by beating him with his bare hands, he comes home and wants to spend time with his son... maybe as a way of feeling human again, or one act of kindness offsets his atrocious behavior.

When he was singing his son to sleep, maybe I would say you were right. But Al was stricken when his son started to cry when he was teaching him how to fight, and that had nothing to do with narcissism. He released he was frightening his son, and he felt bad, and he comforted his son. It had nothing to do with trying to comfort himself.
Old 10-08-12, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Blue Bell Boy" - I am missing the significance of the title.
Old 10-08-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by IIG
Another fantastic episode. Everything was great except the awful Margaret stuff.
Agree, especially about Margaret. She served her purpose in earlier seasons, but it's almost as though they couldn't figure out anything meaningful to do with her so they made this storyline up to keep her busy because it would have been harder to justify her disappearing for a season. It ends up coming off as complete filler, and with so many other fascinating characters and storylines available (Van Alden MIA again?) I don't care for it. Probably my only complaint about the the show other than that it is only an hour long and on once a week.
Old 10-08-12, 11:12 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
"Blue Bell Boy" - I am missing the significance of the title.
It's a nursery rhyme:

Blue Bell Boy

I had a little boy,
And called him Blue Bell;
Gave him a little work,--
He did it very well.

I bade him go upstairs
To bring me a gold pin;
In coal scuttle fell he,
Up to his little chin.

He went to the garden
To pick a little sage;
He tumbled on his nose,
And fell into a rage.

He went to the cellar
To draw a little beer;
And quickly did return
To say there was none there.

Fairly obvious how it ties into the episode I'd say. A nice touch there.

Last edited by Toonview; 10-08-12 at 11:16 AM. Reason: commented
Old 10-08-12, 11:18 AM

One thing that isn't clear to me, Nucky gave up his office as Treasurer and all of the benefits that came with that job. Margaret gave away all of the land to the church and all the money that would have came from its sale. Yet Nucky seems to have more money than ever. I realize bootlegging is profitable, see JFK's daddy Joe, but they've taken it to excess, IMO.
Old 10-08-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by barelypure
I realize bootlegging is profitable, see JFK's daddy Joe, but they've taken it to excess, IMO.
JFK's daddy Joe did more than that to build his family empire. Joe did exceptionally well at playing the Stock Market. Fact is, Kennedy's role in bootlegging is quite minimal, compared to these cats.
Old 10-08-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by barelypure
One thing that isn't clear to me, Nucky gave up his office as Treasurer and all of the benefits that came with that job. Margaret gave away all of the land to the church and all the money that would have came from its sale. Yet Nucky seems to have more money than ever. I realize bootlegging is profitable, see JFK's daddy Joe, but they've taken it to excess, IMO.
It's not like the job itself was a major paycheck for nucky, and the land was an investment made with past profits. While losing that hurts his savings, it probably doesn't affect his present cash flow. He is supplying most of NJ & NYC with booze (well, up to the last couple of episodes anyway), that's got to generate a lot of $$.
Old 10-08-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

You obviously didn't catch the parallel between Capone's son and the fat guy who collects the money. He realized that some people can't defend themselves. That's why he hugged his son when he started crying and he killed the guy who beat up the fat guy.
Old 10-08-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Neil M.
You obviously didn't catch the parallel between Capone's son and the fat guy who collects the money. He realized that some people can't defend themselves. That's why he hugged his son when he started crying and he killed the guy who beat up the fat guy.
No, I caught it, but the sequence of order holds my opinion that Capone felt bad for how he was treating his son. The fat guy came back to Capone all beaten up after the incident with Capone teaching his son self-defense, and cradling him after realizing he was being too over-the-top with him.

Then the fat guy appeared beaten, and that's when Capone decided to fight for those who couldn't fight for themselves. He knew he couldn't beat to death the boy who hit his son, so he took his frustrations out on the man who hit the fat collector.
Old 10-08-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

He beat the man so viciously because he 'bullied' the fat guy, which was his way of revenging what was done to his son.
Old 10-09-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm really interested in seeing how the organization changes after the events of this episode. Mickey Doyle fucked up royally, Nucky doesn't seem to trust Owen, and Eli may have redeemed himself. At the end of the episode, I'm assuming that Eli is telling Nucky about the entire incident before he reads about it in the papers.
Old 10-09-12, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Agree, especially about Margaret. She served her purpose in earlier seasons, but it's almost as though they couldn't figure out anything meaningful to do with her so they made this storyline up to keep her busy because it would have been harder to justify her disappearing for a season. It ends up coming off as complete filler, and with so many other fascinating characters and storylines available (Van Alden MIA again?) I don't care for it. Probably my only complaint about the the show other than that it is only an hour long and on once a week.
Even though her storyline is a chore to endure I actually did enjoy the scene with them discussing with the nun the "proper" terms to use in the class. And then having her inquire about the Kotex.
Old 10-09-12, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

I agree that Margaret's storyline is total filler. I don't see anything interesting or relevant coming from it.

I assumed Mickey would be killed off this season due to Eli's comment from the 2nd episode... and now I know he'll be dead. His nines lives were up long ago.

Yes, when Nucky gave the kid the cigarette and after he admitted that he was 19 - you knew Nucky would pop him.
Old 10-10-12, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

DRECK

A total character turnaround for Nucky, and the ham-fisted way they expositioned that the kid was an adult so that Nucky would'nt be a child murderer.

Am I the only one who would prefer a show completely about New York, Chicago, and Van Alden? They have to add 'the Battle of Tabor Heights' just to keep Atlantic City marginally interesting.
Old 10-10-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
DRECK

A total character turnaround for Nucky, and the ham-fisted way they expositioned that the kid was an adult so that Nucky would'nt be a child murderer.

Am I the only one who would prefer a show completely about New York, Chicago, and Van Alden? They have to add 'the Battle of Tabor Heights' just to keep Atlantic City marginally interesting.
It's funny but New York and Chicago do seem a bit more interesting than AC right now.

As to Margaret I quite like her part and I think she will have a very good arc this year if they go where I think they are.
Old 10-10-12, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by johnnysd
It's funny but New York and Chicago do seem a bit more interesting than AC right now.

As to Margaret I quite like her part and I think she will have a very good arc this year if they go where I think they are.
"A bit" is a massive understatement. Although I bet budget-wise they're loving not showing the Boardwalk.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.