Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Sword Art Online

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-12, 11:32 PM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts
Sword Art Online

If you're not watching Sword Art Online, you're missing the best show of the year.

'nuff said
Old 10-07-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Sword Art Online

This anime is really good and I just watched episode one.
Old 10-07-12, 11:18 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 533 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
If you're not watching Sword Art Online, you're missing the best show of the year.

'nuff said
The series had so much potential. I just didn't like how the series progressed. Episodes 14 had its own issues as well. It will be interesting to see how the second half wraps up the series. As of right now for simulcast series this year, I will give it a generous top 20 mention (with potential to move up or down).

Small preview of the new OP & ED (don't watch unless you have seen up to episode 14).
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VvdFlcgX-08?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VvdFlcgX-08?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 10-08-12, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Being a huge fan of .Hack//Sign, I am assuming I will love this show. I look forward to checking it out once they release it over here with a dub.
Old 10-08-12, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the pacing matches the books -- they've only adapted the first novel and a short story collection (episode 14 is the end of the novel); book 10 just came out a few months ago and the series is supposed to last another five volumes after that. (It'll probably end with Kirito creating Accel World.)
Old 10-08-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

I think it's a lot better than .hack, personally. That was marred somewhat by the whole multimedia aspect of it, and having to tie in the world to the actual (kinda crappy) Namco/Bandai game... it was also extremely boring in spots to me. While the time transitions in SAO are often jarring, I really like the pace, as opposed to having to have a lot of filler (which ironically is what MMORPGs and Japanese RPGs are all about... lots of grinding in between cool moments. They basically skip over the grinding).
Old 10-09-12, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Via ANN

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/393vWcspnos?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The game, which takes place in the online game Sword Art Online (commonly known as SAO), lets players play as Kirito, and team up with characters from the SAO universe, including Asuna, Lisbeth and Silica.
I want to play

Last edited by chrisc31; 10-13-12 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-09-12, 05:20 PM

I normally don't like those kinds of games. But if it ever got released in the US on the PS3, I'd pick it up.
Old 10-11-12, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, just watched episode 14 and wow, that was unexpected.

So is the second half of this season going to be what was in book 2?
Old 10-11-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Ok, just watched episode 14 and wow, that was unexpected.

So is the second half of this season going to be what was in book 2?
Book 2 is a short story collection that's already been adapted -- the episodes about Sachi, Yui, Scilica and Liz are all from that book. The next novel arc covers volumes 3 and 4 and will probably take up the rest of the season. Beyond that ...

Spoiler:
Books 5 and 6 - Kirito goes after the surviving Laughing Coffin members who've found a way to commit murder in a tactical shooter game

Book 7 - a standalone adventure focused on Asuna.

Book 8 - More side stories, including the murder mystery we've already seen.

There's probably not enough material here for more than a 13 episode season and a lot of fans are speculating that Books 5 and 6 would be better suited to a theatrical film.

Book 9 starts the final arc of the series which should go through volume 15. But since book 11 comes out at the end of the year, it'll be a while before we see an adaptation.

Old 10-16-12, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, just watched 15... Can we get one non-shonen-jump-or-kids anime that doesn't have
Spoiler:
incest
? I know this is adapted from a book series and that's probably in there as well, but geez.
Old 10-16-12, 04:02 PM

Ok, just watched 15...
I felt the same. It seemed so awkward.
Old 10-16-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, just watched 15... Can we get one non-shonen-jump-or-kids anime that doesn't have
Spoiler:
incest
? I know this is adapted from a book series and that's probably in there as well, but geez.
I am so used to scenes like that in animes, I missed it. I had to rewatch when people started to complain.

What do other people think about Aniplex USA licensing this anime? I am worried it will not get an english dub or even be affordable.

Last edited by chrisc31; 10-16-12 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-16-12, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by chrisc31
What do other people think about Aniplex USA licensing this anime? I am worried it will not get an english dub or even be affordable.
Haven't they dubbed some of their shows? Madoka, ROD, Durarara all had dubs.

I'm definitely concerned about the price. I haven't bought Madoka yet. I'd love to own the Blu-rays, but I don't like being raped.
Old 10-16-12, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am so used to scenes like that in animes, I missed it. I had to rewatch when people started to complain.

I've watched too much anime too... I could see all the signs early on, but was hoping it was only sisterly affection. Ugh. How/when did Anime and the Japanese otaku become so obsessed with this stuff (and underaged girls)?

And then the family "friend" had to be so over the top as well.
Spoiler:
I'm going to go ahead and marry the comatose girl so I can get in good with the family. Luckily dad doesn't have any problems with that. Oh, to emphasize how evil I am, I'm going to lick comatose girl and threaten Kirito.

If I had to choose the lesser of two evils, I'd rather it come out on Blu without a dub than without a sub, like Persona 4.
Old 10-16-12, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't it more disturbing that Asuna's father is okay with marrying his comatose daughter to Rapey McRaperson?
Old 10-20-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've watched too much anime too...
What do you mean to much anime, there is no such words for a anime fan.

Episode 16: Land of Fairies

It felt like as soon as the the episode started it was over, I wonder if the rest of the anime would be as good as the first half was.

For people that saw this episode.
Spoiler:
Was that Asuna at the end of the episode?
Old 10-20-12, 06:17 PM

For people that saw this episode.
Spoiler:
Was that Asuna at the end of the episode?
Spoiler:
Are you talking about the blonde fairy in the green outfit that was fighting the 3 red guys? If so, then no it's not Asuna. It's a new character named Lyfa.
Old 10-22-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Kirito certainly gets around...
Old 10-22-12, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Well the pacing matches the books -- they've only adapted the first novel and a short story collection (episode 14 is the end of the novel); book 10 just came out a few months ago and the series is supposed to last another five volumes after that. (It'll probably end with Kirito creating Accel World.)
I started to watch Accel World on Hulu, its got me hooked so far. The first episode was odd and almost stopped watching but it got better by episode three.

Last edited by chrisc31; 10-22-12 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-27-12, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
Are you talking about the blonde fairy in the green outfit that was fighting the 3 red guys? If so, then no it's not Asuna. It's a new character named Lyfa.
Episode 17
Spoiler:
Omg, is Lyfa Kirito's cousin?

Last edited by chrisc31; 10-30-12 at 03:01 AM.
Old 10-27-12, 08:13 PM

Spoiler:
Omg, is Lyfa Kirito's cousin?
Spoiler:
yep
Old 10-28-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Aniplex's home video release is "unaffordable" but the series remains on Crunchyroll in 1080p, then that would mean the Crunchyroll streaming release is the mainstream release and the Aniplex Blu-Ray release is the fanboy release. That's fine with me.

Last edited by dugan; 10-28-12 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-29-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
yep
Argh, shouldn't have clicked on that spoiler...

Spoiler:
Haven't watched the last episode yet, but I thought that scenario was pretty unlikely, given her seeming lack of any interest in online gaming, plus the fact that her brother/cousin was trapped in something similar and it was such a horrific experience. From their encounter, she had been playing for some time before Kirito even tried it, so she didn't take it up because of him. That's some coincidental first contact too.

Because of the animation style, I couldn't tell, but does Kirito's face in the new game look like him in the real world, like it was in SAO?
Old 10-30-12, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Argh, shouldn't have clicked on that spoiler...

Spoiler:
Haven't watched the last episode yet, but I thought that scenario was pretty unlikely, given her seeming lack of any interest in online gaming, plus the fact that her brother/cousin was trapped in something similar and it was such a horrific experience. From their encounter, she had been playing for some time before Kirito even tried it, so she didn't take it up because of him. That's some coincidental first contact too.

Because of the animation style, I couldn't tell, but does Kirito's face in the new game look like him in the real world, like it was in SAO?
I would make sure I add what episode I am talking about before I post a spoiler from now on.

Episode 17

Spoiler:
I was thinking the same thing that I wouldn't think she would want to play those games, after what happend to her brother/cousin.

Aniplex started a Facebook, and Twitter page for Sword Art Online

Last edited by chrisc31; 10-30-12 at 05:37 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.