Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What This Forum Tells Us About the State of the World

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-06-12, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The website is DVD TALK. This forum is the eponymous forum of the site. (Yes I love that word.) This is one of the deader forums. Right now there's only nine active threads and three of them are of the banal, ""Last movie you watched, last record you listened to, last TV show you watched, last piece of patio furniture you bought."

So what's happening? Some will say that DVDs are dying. Well certainly there are now more options than ever to watch a movie or an already broadcast TV show. Some will say that there's more entertainment options and formats than ever. We watch The Guild, my 14 year old watches tons of YouTube and other online and smart phone entertainment.

In addition many of these forms of viewing come in 1080p negating the need for the Blu-ray a format that the mass public has never felt an urgent need for anyway. As for 3D disc, take it from one who predicted that the 12" laser disc would never catch on, neither will this.

Finally for me there's a huge factor: Why would an adult want to go to the movie theater? To watch children's comic book movies? To watch another Bourne, MI, another car driving movie starting with the letter "F", another 3D cartoon, etc.? So why would I rent or buy a DVD of this drivel? Especially when we're in the true Golden Age of Television. As one whose been around since the beginning of network television it's very clear this is the time of the best TV shows ever. I don't want to make the case here, and list the shows, but basically it's TV where great writers get to stretch out and make highly involving entertainment that challenges the viewer.

Need more proof of TV's superiority or current film? Go look at the activity on the TV Talk forum. Each episode of a show can generate dozens of comments.

Oh yeah, just looked at the Movie Talk forum, there's two active theads.
Old 10-06-12, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: What This Forum Tells Us About the State of the World

TV episode threads will always get a lot of activity because you have people being able to watch the show together and chat about it as it's on.

You can't really do that with movies, unless you plan ahead.
Old 10-06-12, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
TV episode threads will always get a lot of activity because you have people being able to watch the show together and chat about it as it's on.

You can't really do that with movies, unless you plan ahead.
One of the most active of TV threads is for Breaking Bad. Almost everytime I checked it comments happen after the show aired.

Do you agree or disagree with my premise--DVD is quickly losing to other forms of media?
Old 10-06-12, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Astrofan
In addition many of these forms of viewing come in 1080p negating the need for the Blu-ray a format that the mass public has never felt an urgent need for anyway.
While many of those forms of viewing may tout themselves as high definition, Blu-ray still offers the best picture quality by far when compared to streaming and HD channels. Agree that Blu-ray will never catch on as much as DVD, though. And I also agree that physical media is giving away to digital options - a bit prematurely, in my opinion (the infrastructure just isn't there yet.)
Finally for me there's a huge factor: Why would an adult want to go to the movie theater? To watch children's comic book movies? To watch another Bourne, MI, another car driving movie starting with the letter "F", another 3D cartoon, etc.? So why would I rent or buy a DVD of this drivel?
You do realize that there's a world of film outside the multiplex and Hollywood, right? I can mostly agree that a lot of what's playing at the multiplex is drivel (though there are exceptions,) but don't fool yourself into thinking that the 10 films playing at your local theater constitute the entirety of contemporary filmmaking. The "mature" films that you're looking for are available - you're just not looking in the right place.

Mind you, I agree that it's a golden age of television. But film still has lots to offer too.
Old 10-06-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Need more proof of TV's superiority or current film? Go look at the activity on the TV Talk forum. Each episode of a show can generate dozens of comments.

I agree that physical media is fading compared to other options and that TV is great right now, but I don't think the forum is a reliable indicator. Yep, there are tons of threads, but that's because there are many episodes airing every week and people (mostly DJariya) are dedicated enough to create separate threads. Most of them have comments, but some only have a few and some have none. Some movie threads have *hundreds* of comments, some for movies that are still months away from release. (Also, the HD forum is more active than this one.)
Old 10-06-12, 11:16 AM
Cool New Member

To be fair, it seems like the forums over at blu-ray.com are a bit more active than they are here. I agree that most of what's getting wide-distribution in movie theaters in trash. However, most of what I watch on DVD are older movies that aren't available through digital services.

I disagree that we are in the golden age of television. There are good shows and there are bad shows. Few sitcoms today can hold a candle to Seinfeld, which is why reruns are still aired regularly, more than a decade after the show's initial run. Likewise, the original Twilight Zone smokes most modern sci-fi (I've watched every episode of Fringe, Lost, and Warehouse 13, and although I've enjoyed them, they simply don't compare creatively to the Twilight Zone, and the majority of modern sci-fi was inspired by it). I watch a lot of television, and I will concede that there are a lot of great shows, but I think that saying we are in the golden age of television is a bit of a stretch.
Old 10-06-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shredking9000
Few sitcoms today can hold a candle to Seinfeld, which is why reruns are still aired regularly, more than a decade after the show's initial run. Likewise, the original Twilight Zone smokes most modern sci-fi (I've watched every episode of Fringe, Lost, and Warehouse 13, and although I've enjoyed them, they simply don't compare creatively to the Twilight Zone, and the majority of modern sci-fi was inspired by it). I watch a lot of television, and I will concede that there are a lot of great shows, but I think that saying we are in the golden age of television is a bit of a stretch.
I'll admit that I don't watch that much TV, but in my opinion Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Justified, and a handful of other current shows hold their own against anything that has ever been on television. But once again, I say that with the caveat that there are a lot of famous and acclaimed television shows, both old and new, that I've never seen.

I do think that few shows have surpassed stuff like The Twilight Zone and The Prisoner and Flying Circus.
Old 10-06-12, 11:38 AM

Having been around during both "Golden Ages" and having loved what I think was the best, and most influential of all sitcoms, The Dick Van Dyke Show, I still think now is it. When on a Sunday I have Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Walking Dead and Once Upon A Time, when there's Dexter, Fringe and recently The Wire and Battlestar Galatica and a dozen more I can't think of I think this is the time. In fact I recently commented to someone that Sunday night about six months ago was the greatest night of television ever. I do agree there's no great sitcom--just some very good ones that we enjoy, it's really adult drama that's taken television to new heights.

Perhaps the eariler time consisted of great comedy, MASH, All in The Family, but again now it's all about drama.
Old 10-06-12, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sondheim
You do realize that there's a world of film outside the multiplex and Hollywood, right? I can mostly agree that a lot of what's playing at the multiplex is drivel (though there are exceptions,) but don't fool yourself into thinking that the 10 films playing at your local theater constitute the entirety of contemporary filmmaking. The "mature" films that you're looking for are available - you're just not looking in the right place.
And those movies I feel no need to put myself through the misery of going to the theatre to watch.
Old 10-06-12, 11:41 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Sondheim
I'll admit that I don't watch that much TV, but in my opinion Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Justified, and a handful of other current shows hold their own against anything that has ever been on television. But once again, I say that with the caveat that there are a lot of famous and acclaimed television shows, both old and new, that I've never seen.

I do think that few shows have surpassed stuff like The Twilight Zone and The Prisoner and Flying Circus.
I'm not going to argue that there are some great shows on television currently, because there are. I'm just saying that I don't think that we are in the "golden age" of television, as previously asserted.

Last edited by shredking9000; 10-06-12 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-06-12, 04:13 PM
Cool New Member

Having been around during both "Golden Ages" and having loved what I think was the best, and most influential of all sitcoms, The Dick Van Dyke Show, I still think now is it. When on a Sunday I have Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Walking Dead and Once Upon A Time, when there's Dexter, Fringe and recently The Wire and Battlestar Galatica and a dozen more I can't think of I think this is the time. In fact I recently commented to someone that Sunday night about six months ago was the greatest night of television ever. I do agree there's no great sitcom--just some very good ones that we enjoy, it's really adult drama that's taken television to new heights.

Perhaps the eariler time consisted of great comedy, MASH, All in The Family, but again now it's all about drama.
I agree with you that television dramas have progressively gotten better over the years, and that they currently make up some of the best television that's available. Comedies seem to have taken somewhat of a hit, although I just started watching Go On, which is actually pretty funny. I think that sci-fi television is currently the worst it's ever been. I do watch Fringe and enjoy it, but it can't hold a candle to the Twilight Zone, Star Trek, etc., IMO.
Old 10-06-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

The weekend is the slowest time of the week for activity, especially on a Saturday morning. I just looked and there are over a dozen threads with posts from today.

As to why would an adult choose to see a movie in a theater? Because it's the best way to see a movie. You seem to lament the quality of the movies in theaters as for being for kids. My tastes cover a wide spectrum but I guess not so much in your case. To each their own, right?

And to say today's television is the "golden age" is laughable, IMO.
Old 10-06-12, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
And to say today's television is the "golden age" is laughable, IMO.
Then you haven't been watching TV very long.
Old 10-06-12, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

So, what is the "State of the World?"
Old 10-06-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Cow
So, what is the "State of the World?"
"Not so good" judging by the "activity" in the International Forum.
Old 10-06-12, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Old 10-06-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Back when there were internet coupons galore, Dvdtalk was rockin!!! Now....I can not even remember the last time I used a coupon on the internet and from what I have heard Dvd is dead.... We now have VOD, MOD and DVD-r. I do not think I would ever call this the GOLDEN AGE OF TELEVISION.
Old 10-07-12, 06:55 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

IMHO, whoever said DVD is dead is sadly mistaken. I believe that DVD is still very much alive and I also believe it will be hard to kill. When at every store I visit with a DVD/BD section the ratio is still 3 to 1 in favor of DVD, and there are people right there with me perusing them, I rather doubt DVD will be dead anytime soon. I honestly believe that by the time blu-ray gets its footing, it will be replaced by the next up & coming technology and I don't mean streaming.

I agree with others who've said that this is far from being the Golden Age Of Television. Sure, there are some good shows on, but there have been good shows from every era. My honest opinion is that reality crapola, silly talent contests, and the over-saturation of brainless twaddle in advertising are what kills this as having any chance of being the Golden Age Of Television.

Sad that I should become a member of this extended family here at DVD Talk just in time to hear its older members rue the death of this place. I hope DVD Talk is around for quite awhile yet, I kinda like it here. -kd5-
Old 10-07-12, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I've said before that the DVD and Bluray forums would benefit from being combined into one "software" forum.

Also, I think there this a decline in traffic because many people (myself included) have realized they're never going to watch all theses DVDs and have cut back and/or decided to focus only on certain genres for collecting. I know my days of buying questionable titles just because they're cheap are coming to a close. I get far more satisfaction from paying a little more from a title I really have looking forward to.
Old 10-07-12, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And those movies I feel no need to put myself through the misery of going to the theatre to watch.
So you bemoan the lack of "adult" entertainment, and then refuse to watch the movies that are aimed at audiences older than teenagers. Gotcha.

Last edited by Sondheim; 10-07-12 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-07-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kd5
I agree with others who've said that this is far from being the Golden Age Of Television. Sure, there are some good shows on, but there have been good shows from every era. My honest opinion is that reality crapola, silly talent contests, and the over-saturation of brainless twaddle in advertising are what kills this as having any chance of being the Golden Age Of Television.
I don't think an era should be judged by the worst things it produces, but rather by the best. There has always been a lot of crap in every medium (film, television, literature, music, etc.), just as every era has produced some great stuff. I personally think the last decade or so can hold its own against any other in terms of the number of quality shows, but others are free to disagree.

With that said, the ratio of good shows to bad shows has certainly gotten worse. There are a lot more channels than there used to be, and it seems that each of those channels has to have its own America's Funniest Cat Videos or How to Destroy Your Child's Future Before She Turns 8. Still doesn't negate the good stuff being produced.

Last edited by Sondheim; 10-07-12 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-07-12, 12:37 PM

It seems that dvds are sold everywhere. So their far from dead. The price has dropped from the past, which has fueled their availability almost everywhere. The way the economy has gone, its one helluva bargain for entertainment, so more and more people are willing to drop a few bucks to watch that movie or show. But it goes even further than that, you have collectors that love that tangible aspect of the media etc. To me Blu-Ray and DVD is the same thing. One is just enhanced, but both go in the same machine, and come up on your set up when you hit play.
Old 10-07-12, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right now there's only nine active threads and three of them are of the banal, ""Last movie you watched, last record you listened to, last TV show you watched, last piece of patio furniture you bought."
You posted on a Saturday morning, not exactly the most active time on websites such as this.

So what's happening?
There are many more options for entertainment, to be sure. With diversification of media I would expect diversification of interests and posting stats.

Why would an adult want to go to the movie theater? To watch children's comic book movies? To watch another Bourne, MI, another car driving movie starting with the letter "F", another 3D cartoon, etc.? So why would I rent or buy a DVD of this drivel?
Now I just pity you. You're letting your own pretentiousness get in the way of enjoying some very good movies. There's a lot of dreck out there, too, but you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Your loss, not ours.
Old 10-07-12, 05:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

How many different TV episodes come out in one week? And how many movies come out in the same week?
Old 10-07-12, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Most of the hardcore movie collectors, who drove the volume of postings on this site for a decade, have moved on to Blu-ray as their primary format. I know I did and this site's focus primarily on DVD doesn't make it the hip place for the younger collectors, who didn't grow up so attached to DVD as the people who were already adults when the format started.

The secular changes in the home video market, as people have shifted from ownership to streaming and Netflix rentals, have also hurt this site's total readership. Honestly, if I had been the site's owner, it would have been renamed to Blu-raytalk several years ago.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.