Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Why no blu release for...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-12, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why no blu release for...

Castle, Blue Bloods, The Good Wife... and I'm sure there are more. I'm puzzled, I thought these shows were popular.
Old 10-03-12, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts
Re: Why no blu release for...

It depends on the production studio controlling those shows and the demographics of the viewing audience. Those shows all skew older and heavily female, anathema to an eventual Blu-ray release. Fantasy and Sci-fi releases do much better on Blu-ray than other genres.
Old 10-04-12, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised Blue Bloods' audience is older women. Poll with sample size of one: my wife (not "older", but definitely "woman") finds Blue Bloods to grim and angry, and thinks it's a guys-only show.
Old 10-04-12, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by outlander78
I'm surprised Blue Bloods' audience is older women. Poll with sample size of one: my wife (not "older", but definitely "woman") finds Blue Bloods to grim and angry, and thinks it's a guys-only show.
Tom Selleck demographic.
Old 10-04-12, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well. Good to know I have the same taste as an old lady.
Old 10-04-12, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

It pisses me off when a BD I purchase or rent includes an ad for Castle. It looks fantastic in 1080p and at the end all they are advertising is the DVD set.

Originally Posted by stingermck
Tom Selleck demographic.
This. He's the reason my mom watches the show. Same thing happened when he joined Las Vegas.
Old 10-04-12, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

It has nothing to do with demographics.

TV on BD in general isn't good sellers. So, CBS, CBS Home Video sticks to releasing most of their hit shows on DVD, where they can make their money back. The only exception is Hawaii Five-O, which has gotten back to back BD releases.

Look, NCIS is the highest rated show in the country right now and only gets DVD releases. NCIS: Los Angeles is the 2nd most watched show on Tuesday nights, it did get a BD release for season 1, but it was a poor seller, so seasons 2 and 3 didn't get BD releases.

CSI is one of the most watched shows in the world and only seasons 1 and 9 got BD releases. Well season 1 was mainly released because the DVD was 4:3 and they wanted to get a newly re-mastered 16:9 version out (in addition to the new extras)

The BD format is more expensive to produce and CBS, ABC wants to make as much of it's money back on these shows ASAP. They don't want to get stuck with alot of unsold BD product.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-04-12 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-04-12, 09:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJariya
It has nothing to do with demographics.

TV on BD in general isn't good sellers. So, CBS, CBS Home Video sticks to releasing most of their hit shows on DVD, where they can make their money back. The only exception is Hawaii Five-O, which has gotten back to back BD releases.

Look, NCIS is the highest rated show in the country right now and only gets DVD releases. NCIS: Los Angeles is the 2nd most watched show on Tuesday nights, it did get a BD release for season 1, but it was a poor seller, so seasons 2 and 3 didn't get BD releases.

CSI is one of the most watched shows in the world and only seasons 1 and 9 got BD releases. Well season 1 was mainly released because the DVD was 4:3 and they wanted to get a newly re-mastered 16:9 version out (in addition to the new extras)

The BD format is more expensive to produce and CBS, ABC wants to make as much of it's money back on these shows ASAP. They don't want to get stuck with alot of unsold BD product.
Your argument in no way proved that this is not based on demographics, as most of CBS's viewers are old people and women, a.k.a. people too ignorant to care about Blu-ray. The one exception, Hawaii 5-0, is not surprisingly one of the few shows on CBS that skews young and male.
Old 10-04-12, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck
Tom Selleck demographic.
That's funny.
Old 10-04-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

30 minute sitcoms occasionally sell well on DVD/Blu, but that's about it.

Serialized and Procedural shows get rented a lot but aren't great sellers due to limited replay on serials, and constant syndication on procedurals with many of these shows.

I think the last show I bought on DVD/Blu was Pushing Daisies on Blu.

NCIS is the most popular show in the country and does well in demos as well as overall. I think it just doesn't sell well on DVD so they never released the Blu. A show like Hawaii Five-O will also gain the most from looking awesome.
Old 10-04-12, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
30 minute sitcoms occasionally sell well on DVD/Blu, but that's about it.

Serialized and Procedural shows get rented a lot but aren't great sellers due to limited replay on serials, and constant syndication on procedurals with many of these shows.

I think the last show I bought on DVD/Blu was Pushing Daisies on Blu.

NCIS is the most popular show in the country and does well in demos as well as overall. I think it just doesn't sell well on DVD so they never released the Blu. A show like Hawaii Five-O will also gain the most from looking awesome.
The CBS and ABC dramas must sell well enough to warrant releasing year after year on DVD at least. If they were poor sellers, they could easily be dropped and forgotten (cough NYPD Blue)

Yeah all these shows were shot in HD and look great in that format, but I think the average consumer doesn't want to pay $10-15 extra for the shows to be on BD. Plus, I would say 90-95% of the people who want these shows on BD wait until they drop significantly in price due to already seeing it on air and by that time, the product is sold at a loss.
Old 10-04-12, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now that I think about it most of the shows I have on BD are cable shows. So cable shows on BD are popular but network shows are not? I don't understand that either.

I know that Castle is available in HD on Amazon for streaming. You don't suppose they're trying to push people to stream? That would suck.
Old 10-04-12, 02:10 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I'd love to see Blu-ray releases of Wonderfalls and Standoff.
I doubt that'll ever happen.
Old 10-04-12, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy
Now that I think about it most of the shows I have on BD are cable shows. So cable shows on BD are popular but network shows are not? I don't understand that either.

I know that Castle is available in HD on Amazon for streaming. You don't suppose they're trying to push people to stream? That would suck.
I'm not an expert but it seems like cable shows and science fiction shows sell fairly well on Blu-ray since it seems like those two categories have more die hard/geeky fans who are willing to buy them. A lot of the network procedural shows and what not are probably more just casual sellers. If I had to guess most fans of shows like that don't rush out to buy the releases as is on DVD and probably only pick up season sets if they find them cheap or something.
Old 10-04-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy
Castle, Blue Bloods, The Good Wife... and I'm sure there are more. I'm puzzled, I thought these shows were popular.
More shows I watch are DVD-only than not. When I look at the DVDs I've bought most recently, it's almost completely stuff like The New Girl, Bob's Burgers, Parks and Recreation, Adventure Time, Community, Childrens Hospital, The Middleman, and Pretty Little Liars. All aired in HD. None are available on Blu-ray.
Old 10-04-12, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked up Chuck on Blu and regretted it. the quality is poor and my laptop won't play BR so I can't bring them on business trips. Even if it was on Blu, I still would have gotten the DVDs of Castle
Old 10-04-12, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sucks that I'm not going to get New Girl on blu. Everything else that I really love is a safe bet to get blu releases each season.

But, I will wait for the holidays or BF or a lightning deal to get it. Even $19.99, which is a fair price for New Girl, just isn't something I'm willing to part with for dvds. My memory shows those reruns in better video and audio quality, but I will pick the show up for $10, whenever it's that low.

30 Rock was/is the last show I committed myself to buying on dvd right away. And when I did, I was hoping I'd never have to choose dvds, like for New Girl, again.
Old 10-05-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
NCIS is the most popular show in the country and does well in demos as well as overall. I think it just doesn't sell well on DVD so they never released the Blu.
Of course it doesn't help that USA Network runs an NCIS marathon every weekend (and on holidays that fall on a weekday).
Old 10-05-12, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's why I don't collect much TV on either format. My wife will sit there and watch Friends or Big Bang on TV when we have the discs sitting on the shelf, so I've stopped buying anything for her since she won't watch them
Old 10-05-12, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester
That's why I don't collect much TV on either format. My wife will sit there and watch Friends or Big Bang on TV when we have the discs sitting on the shelf, so I've stopped buying anything for her since she won't watch them
Well, I suppose if you have cable TV. I don't, so I depend on my collection in the summer when I revisit past favorites.
Old 10-06-12, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

And they look so much better with onscreen logos, pop-up show promos, and commercials every 5 minutes.
Old 10-06-12, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No kidding. I can't even watch them. When she watches them I have to leave
Old 10-06-12, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
And they look so much better with onscreen logos, pop-up show promos, and commercials every 5 minutes.
I find it impossible to watch regular tv. Even watching a show that has been dvr'ed and fast forwarding through the ads is a pain. The amount of crap on the screen during the show and the amount and frequency of commercials are inane. Can they not see it's just too much? They are driving viewers away.
Old 10-06-12, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The new Dallas is another title getting a DVD release but no blu.
Old 10-06-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I prefer watching it DVR'd than live. I've been recording the football games, then watching them in about an hour and a half vs. the 3+ watching them live

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.