Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

OK seriously...what was going on in MJ's head in the second part of the B&W vid?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

OK seriously...what was going on in MJ's head in the second part of the B&W vid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-12, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...aCUa4nM#t=400s

Was he on some kind of drugs or something? Crazy talented but a bizarre ending to an otherwise so-so video.
Old 10-03-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: OK seriously...what was going on in MJ's head in the second part of the B&W vid?

He was just so mad about racism that he couldn't keep it bottled up.
Old 10-03-12, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: OK seriously...what was going on in MJ's head in the second part of the B&W vid?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/agiDbehnlXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-03-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is this not a Buttmunker thread?
Old 10-03-12, 04:23 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
He was just so mad about racism that he couldn't keep it bottled up.
It's interesting to read the wiki entry for the video: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_or_White

I saw the video when it premiered on Fox and was really baffled by it. The version I saw WAS NOT what is posted above. I never knew this until now but the video was altered after its premier. Racist graffiti was added (was it digitally added or did they shoot two versions of the video?) to make the car smashing seem less like wonton vandalism and more about a reaction to racism.

Anyway, I remember my reaction to it, then and now, and I'm just baffled. Apparently Jackson claimed "the violent and suggestive behavior was an interpretation of the animal instinct of a black panther". Whatever. His dance was taboo and sexually provocative but it was also silly, I remember really cringing in embarrassment, that kind of embarrassment where you feel embarrassed for the person. That feeling where being in the presence of their embarrassment embarrasses you. This was definitely the first and strongest indication that he was completely detached from reality.
Old 10-04-12, 01:06 AM

Great post Mabuse, especially this part....

Originally Posted by Mabuse
His dance was taboo and sexually provocative but it was also silly, I remember really cringing in embarrassment, that kind of embarrassment where you feel embarrassed for the person. That feeling where being in the presence of their embarrassment embarrasses you. This was definitely the first and strongest indication that he was completely detached from reality.
I couldn't have summed up my feelings any better. But not only the last scene, the ENTIRE video makes me feel that way! Totally cheesy and the whole face morphing thing is actually more embarrassing and corny than the last part of the video. I can't help but wonder what "Daduq?", and how the hell did they get John Landis to agree to making this turd?
Old 10-04-12, 04:58 AM

Interesting reading your reactions. I have always simply seen it as a brilliant way for Michael to showcase his dancing skills and the new, edgier style that he develop for Dangerous. I was totally mesmerised by the panther ending when I first saw it. It has never really even crossed my mind that it could be seen as embarrassing.

Then again, by that point I had already seen Captain Eo and Moonwalker. Those probably lowered my embarrassment filter in all things Michael Jackson.