Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Who S0705: "The Angels Take Manhattan" (9-29-12)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-29-12, 04:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Spoiler:
The Doctor’s heart-breaking farewell to Amy and Rory – a race against time through the streets of Manhattan, as New York’s statues come to life around them…

With Rory’s life in danger, the Doctor and Amy must locate him before it’s too late! Luckily, an old friend helps them and guides the way.

This is the end of the half-season. The Doctor won't be back until the Christmas episode.
Old 09-29-12, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Doctor Who S0705: "The Angels Take Manhattan" (9-29-12)

Felt rushed, as does most every episode of the Moffat era. Sad, but felt more like "it had to happen" rather than "here's a good reason for it to happen".

Being vague until it airs on BBCA
Old 09-29-12, 05:19 PM
Banned by request

I disagree. I think it was a lovely send off for the Ponds. Certainly better than what we got with Donna.

Also Alex Kingston's rack looked exceptional.
Old 09-29-12, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I disagree. I think it was a lovely send off for the Ponds. Certainly better than what we got with Donna.

Also Alex Kingston's rack looked exceptional.
MUCH better than Donna. At least the Ponds end up happy and together.

The Angels were scary again; that pre-credits sequence was every bit as eerie as "Blink."

It makes sense that cherubs are baby Angels, and their laughter is creepy as hell.

The (literally) biggest Angel confuses me; it's being watched all the time, so how can it move? Besides, wouldn't its passage resemble the end of Cloverfield?
Old 09-29-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

If it's anything like the rest of the season I will be seriously underwhelmed. Hoping for the best but completely expecting the worst.

Really going to miss Amelia.
Old 09-29-12, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the story better than any this series, but again I was underwhelmed. There wasn't that big "wtf" moment at any point during the entire run.

I was more upset that Rory's not going to be around more than Amy.

Spoiler:
Nice nod to the Ponds being gone with it being the Williamses on the tombstone instead.

With everyone telling the Doctor not to travel alone, and with how he was acting during A Town Called Mercy, something huge must be coming. Problem is that the new companion is already around the next episode. It'll be interesting to see how they "re" introduce her and if she joins the Doctor right out of the gate.

However, I do have to say the ending pissed me off. Not because of the story but because of a plothole:
Spoiler:
Amy didn't wait through the night until morning for the Doctor to return as a little girl. They've already shown the Doctor returning after she had fallen asleep and putting her to bed.

Last edited by Keith6601; 09-29-12 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-29-12, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I guess we won't see the Ponds until the next time.
Old 09-29-12, 10:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Why can't the Doctor land the TARDIS in New Jersey and take the train in?
Old 09-29-12, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So many stinking rules.

Spoiler:
The I can't change time if I already know what happens is weak. And, then, how did he go back to Amy as a kid again when he originally didn't show up until years later? He knows he didn't get back to her as a kid. Weak send off and depressing. And, are they stuck in that room together or is it somewhere else? And, if they're stuck in the room, lord help them if they have kids. I can't imagine being stuck in the same room with kids for several decades. And, I hated the Statue of liberty Angel.
Old 09-30-12, 01:01 AM

It's nice if you don't think about it too much. I wish their exit would've meant something in the grand scheme, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of grand scheme this year. This was just a one-off episode that included the exit of the Doctor's companions.
Old 09-30-12, 02:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, Pizza....Amy can't have kids anymore. Second, the episode was horrible. At least the Power Of Three was decent. The only good episode so far this year.... Hopefully, the Christmas episode will be worth my time.
Old 09-30-12, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I thought the Angels sent you back in time, but to the same spot you were standing. Therefore, Rory and Amy were safe in that regard, considering where they were.
Old 09-30-12, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

In Blink Nightingale was sent from London to Hull.
Old 09-30-12, 09:28 AM

The Doctor and River both knew it was going to happen. When they were in the cemetary, washing the Tardis, River said "they're going to be bored just hanging around here all day." I thought they were already dead and were ghosts, but then the lone angel showed up to send them back.
Old 09-30-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith6601
The Doctor and River both knew it was going to happen. When they were in the cemetary, washing the Tardis, River said "they're going to be bored just hanging around here all day." I thought they were already dead and were ghosts, but then the lone angel showed up to send them back.
That didn't make any sense to me. They seemed to know but then the Doctor was shocked when the Angel showed up and Amy made her decision.

I thought it was a needlessly sad departure for the 2. I would have liked some sort of build up but we just got a one off episode to get rid of them.

What's up with River and The Doctor still being married. Shouldn't she not know about that at this point? Up until the wedding River knew about it but The Doctor didn't, shouldn't that be reversed now?
Old 09-30-12, 11:36 AM
Banned by request

I took that as "If we spend all day cleaning the TARDIS, Amy and Rory will be bored."
Old 09-30-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
First, Pizza....Amy can't have kids anymore. Second, the episode was horrible. At least the Power Of Three was decent. The only good episode so far this year.... Hopefully, the Christmas episode will be worth my time.
The kid thing was a joke.

The more I think about this episode the more I don't like it. It wasn't thought out very well. And the ending felt just tossed in. The whole time thing and knowing the future is such nonsense. He's a time lord who's always bopping back and forth. It would have been more dramatic to have the Ponds last scene be the one on the roof.
Old 09-30-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The episode was more 'meh'. Had potential as an idea.

I kept waiting for FDR to tell River to 'drop dead!'.
Old 09-30-12, 07:43 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
You really think the Doctor would be a B&T?

(I do hope the Doctor goes back and visits Brian. He deserves to know what happened to Rory and Amy).
Old 09-30-12, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because New Jersey is worse than Skaro.
Old 09-30-12, 07:52 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Old 09-30-12, 08:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked the story better than any this series, but again I was underwhelmed. There wasn't that big "wtf" moment at any point during the entire run.

I was more upset that Rory's not going to be around more than Amy.

Spoiler:
Nice nod to the Ponds being gone with it being the Williamses on the tombstone instead.

With everyone telling the Doctor not to travel alone, and with how he was acting during A Town Called Mercy, something huge must be coming. Problem is that the new companion is already around the next episode. It'll be interesting to see how they "re" introduce her and if she joins the Doctor right out of the gate.

However, I do have to say the ending pissed me off. Not because of the story but because of a plothole:
Spoiler:
Amy didn't wait through the night until morning for the Doctor to return as a little girl. They've already shown the Doctor returning after she had fallen asleep and putting her to bed.
The new companion isn't the same character. She's played by the same actress, but the character is just someone from the same family. Sort of like what they did in the episode where they met Charles Dickens. The maid was the great great grandmother of the character from Torchwood.
Old 09-30-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Why can't The Doctor still take Amy and Rory on adventures from past New York rather than present day England (aside from the fact that in real life, Karen Gillan has left the show)? They had basically become part time companions anyways, although I guess the ending of "The Power of Three" meant they were planning on being traveling with him full time.
Old 09-30-12, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
You really think the Doctor would be a B&T?

(I do hope the Doctor goes back and visits Brian. He deserves to know what happened to Rory and Amy).

I hope he does as well but doubt it. Moffat doesn't seem to care about stuff like that.
Old 09-30-12, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cartload
Why can't The Doctor still take Amy and Rory on adventures from past New York rather than present day England (aside from the fact that in real life, Karen Gillan has left the show)? They had basically become part time companions anyways, although I guess the ending of "The Power of Three" meant they were planning on being traveling with him full time.
The Doctor explained there were huge time distortions around New York and that because of the paradox they created, he can't travel to that time or he'll destroy it.

The book that River wrote and was used for clues is being released this week as an e-book. I admit I'll grab it as soon as it's out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.