Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ready....Fight!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ready....Fight!

I've been doing some checking these last 2 days and I've been looking at getting a fighting game for my 360.

My favorites so far are Ultimate Marvel vs Campon 3 and Blazblue Continuum Shift.

In your opinion what are the best fighting games for the 360. I'm leaning towards UMVC3 only because you get to fight as superheros. Freaking superheros!!!

Does the 3 on 3 action just go too much over the top. Is there a setting for 1 on 1?

Help me decide.

Last edited by Larry C.; 09-28-12 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-28-12, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Re: Ready....Fight!

Ultimate MvC3 is a cool game, mostly because of the license. I think SFIV Super-Ultimate-Whatever Edition is probably the best-playing fighting game this generation -- deep yet accessible. Doesn't require a ton of memorization to play well. (I hate games that feel like homework assignments). Avoid SF X Tekken as they put in a weird Gem system that feels sort of like you have to pay real money to strengthen up your character.
I sort of enjoy Soul Calibur V, even though it's not well thought-of among fighting game aficionados. It's really wacky and kind of fun.

I've heard great things about both Persona 4 Arena and the brand-new DOA 5, but there are so many good fighting games, I'd probably suggest waiting for a decent price cut before picking either of those two up. These games drop to $20 pretty quick, especially if you're a Gamer Club Unlocked member at Best Buy.
Old 09-28-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Ultimate MvC3 is a cool game, mostly because of the license. I think SFIV Super-Ultimate-Whatever Edition is probably the best-playing fighting game this generation -- deep yet accessible. Doesn't require a ton of memorization to play well. (I hate games that feel like homework assignments). Avoid SF X Tekken as they put in a weird Gem system that feels sort of like you have to pay real money to strengthen up your character.
I sort of enjoy Soul Calibur V, even though it's not well thought-of among fighting game aficionados. It's really wacky and kind of fun.

I've heard great things about both Persona 4 Arena and the brand-new DOA 5, but there are so many good fighting games, I'd probably suggest waiting for a decent price cut before picking either of those two up. These games drop to $20 pretty quick, especially if you're a Gamer Club Unlocked member at Best Buy.
They're already in that price range and thanks for the advice.
Old 09-28-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the Soul Calibur franchise. I've never been able to get into the MvC games.
Old 09-28-12, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Larry C.
They're already in that price range and thanks for the advice.
I was referring to the recently released Persona 4 Arena and the just-out DOA 5. Neither is less than MSRP yet, but they'll get there soon enough.

And if you really get bitten by the fighting game bug, I suggest you pick one system or the other (and PS3 tends to be the traditionally the preferred fighting console platform for whatever reason) and if you can find a good quality stick for a decent price, get it. It really makes the gameplay much better and more accurate. I own a Street Fighter IV Tournament Edition Fightstick for the 360 and love it. I think I paid $90 for it at Fry's a few years ago.

Last edited by Decker; 09-28-12 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-28-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm a fan of Street Fighter, and thought IV (and Super Street Fighter IV) really did a good job bringing the game back and a lot of fun. I couldn't get into the hectic play of MvC 3, but that's just me.
Old 09-28-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

(and PS3 tends to be the traditionally the preferred fighting console platform for whatever reason)
I'm sure it's mostly because of the controller. It is in my case at least.
Old 09-28-12, 07:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My favorite fighting franchises were MvC and Soul Caliber. I haven't played the new Street Fighter so I can't speak to that, but I recommend UMvC3.
Old 09-29-12, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got it last night. Had a blast. Still learning.
Old 09-29-12, 07:13 PM

Got which game?
Old 09-29-12, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got which game?
UMVC3

Sorry
Old 10-01-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week Marvel Vs Capcom Origins was released on the marketplace. It includes the original Marvel Vs Capcom and Marvel Super Heroes.

Now they just need to release X-Men: Children of the Atom. I wasted so many quarters on that game.
Old 10-14-12, 04:35 PM

And if you really get bitten by the fighting game bug, I suggest you pick one system or the other (and PS3 tends to be the traditionally the preferred fighting console platform for whatever reason) and if you can find a good quality stick for a decent price, get it. It really makes the gameplay much better and more accurate. I own a Street Fighter IV Tournament Edition Fightstick for the 360 and love it. I think I paid $90 for it at Fry's a few years ago.
If you are in the market for a top-notch fighting stick, I just discovered courtesy of CAG that the Street Fighter X Tekken Fightstick Pro Collector's Edition is being clearanced out at Game Stop for $79.99 (not cheap, but half the sticker price of $159.99). It looks to be very similar (if not identical, save for the newer design on the stick) to the one I featured above. Checking stock on the website (it's sold out online), I located a few in the greater metro area and picked up one from a Game Stop in the seedier side of town. It's well worth picking up a Pro stick if you enjoy this genre of games.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessor...ht-stick/99080

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/acc...ht-stick/99079
Old 10-15-12, 08:41 AM

^ I have been trying to avoid that thread so I don't go buy another joystick. I have 4 joysticks so far.
Old 10-15-12, 09:24 AM

That's cool. Which sticks do you have and what do you think of them?

And for someone wanting to get a cheap, mod-able stick, Amazon is selling the WWE Brawlstick for $34.99 (360, PS3). I read the stock parts aren't very good, but it's easy enough, whenever you're ready to upgrade, to replace the buttons and/or the joystick with Sanwa parts (available on eBay) that would make it very serviceable.
Old 10-15-12, 10:25 AM

I have the following:
Hori Tekken 6 Wireless Fight Stick 360
MadCatz Tatsunoko vs. Capcom FightStick Wii
MadCatz WWE Brawlstick 360
MadCatz WWE Brawlstick PS3

I am not a tournament type player so the stock parts are working okay for me so far. The artwork on the WWE sticks is hideous though and I need to replace it. The TvC stick is basically the Brawlstick for the Wii with much better artwork. The Hori stick was my first joystick and it has been replaced by the brawlstick. I mainly use it for non fighting games since it's wireless and I don't have to have a cord running through the living room.

I am still hoping the gs near me sells out of the stick so I don't end up with another joystick.
Old 10-27-12, 09:38 AM

Paging Krazie : Amazon is selling the PS3 version of the Mad Catz Soul Calibur V fightstick for $86.50. It's essentially the same top-quality fightstick as the Street Fighter X Tekken one I drove half way to Arizona to pick up a few weeks ago. Just like that one, this has an MSRP of $159.99, making this a great deal (actually cheaper than what I paid when you figure in tax, let alone gas). If you want a top quality Arcade stick, you won't go wrong with this one.
Old 10-29-12, 08:11 AM

Paging Krazie : Amazon is selling the PS3 version of the Mad Catz Soul Calibur V fightstick for $86.50. It's essentially the same top-quality fightstick as the Street Fighter X Tekken one I drove half way to Arizona to pick up a few weeks ago. Just like that one, this has an MSRP of $159.99, making this a great deal (actually cheaper than what I paid when you figure in tax, let alone gas). If you want a top quality Arcade stick, you won't go wrong with this one.
Yeah, I had this in my shopping cart for awhile before deciding against it. I am waiting for the SF x Tekken stick to drop again before I buy it. If the SCV stick goes lower I might have to pick it up as well. I don't really know what the hell I am going to do with all these though.
Old 10-29-12, 09:57 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Krayzie
Last week Marvel Vs Capcom Origins was released on the marketplace. It includes the original Marvel Vs Capcom and Marvel Super Heroes.

Now they just need to release X-Men: Children of the Atom. I wasted so many quarters on that game.
They also need to release Marvel Superheroes vs. Street Fighter..and X-Men vs. Street Fighter.

Chidren of the Atom was a game I played after MSH vs. SF. I was pretty displeased by it as a kid cuz it was different...just slow from what I rememember. I wonder if I'd like it today?
Old 10-29-12, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
They also need to release Marvel Superheroes vs. Street Fighter..and X-Men vs. Street Fighter.

Chidren of the Atom was a game I played after MSH vs. SF. I was pretty displeased by it as a kid cuz it was different...just slow from what I rememember. I wonder if I'd like it today?
If you didn't like it back then, you probably won't like it now. Children of the Atom came out a few years before MSH vs SF. I remember playing CoA, MSH and all the different vs games at the arcade. Capcom just needs to release a disc with all the fighting games they made with marvel characters...