Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Shield - Episode by Episode Thread - Rewatching the Series

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Shield - Episode by Episode Thread - Rewatching the Series

This thread inspired me to break out the un-watched set and start from scratch. Join me, won't you?

My comments will be brief but I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments on the episodes. I've seen them all so spoilers don't bother me but be respectful if others decide to start watching for the first time.

Here we go...

"Pilot"

Spoiler:
Fourteen months into the "Farmington Project", Detective Vic Mackey and his Strike Team prepare to take down a major drug dealer who has never before been caught with product. Meanwhile, following a homicide, Detectives Wyms and Wagenbach discover that a child is missing, sold to a pedophile by her drug-addicted father. Captain David Aceveda installs Detective Terry Crowley as a new member of the Strike Team in order to have an inside man to root out their corruption. The episode ends with Mackey taking the opportunity to kill Crowley during the high risk raid.

I forgot how damn near the entire cast was in place from day one. As a Homicide: LOTS fan it's a blast to see Reed Diamond and Max Perlich. They do a good job of making Mackie the anti-hero throughout the episode only to kick you in the nuts in the final scene.

"Our Gang"

Spoiler:
After the death of a member of the Strike Team on a high-risk raid, Aceveda begins to investigate the real circumstances behind the raid. Officers Lowe and Sofer find a dying man being mugged, eventually linked to a Mexican gang.

Decent episode but not up to the promise of the pilot. Nice to see the team struggling with the events of the previous episode. Man, Mackie is just awesome when he fucks with Aceveda and Dutchboy.
Old 09-26-12, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Shield - Episode by Episode Thread - Rewatching the Series

One of the greatest shows of all time. Several "gasp worthy" moments during its run.
Old 09-26-12, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How are you catching it? Is it on Netflix or Hulu?
Old 09-27-12, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat
How are you catching it? Is it on Netflix or Hulu?
He said he took out his unwatched DVD sets.
Old 09-27-12, 12:38 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I prefer this show to The Wire. Yeah, I said it.
Old 09-27-12, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I prefer this show to The Wire. Yeah, I said it.
I don't think anyone will really be offended by that.
Old 09-27-12, 05:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought this show a while back and it's in my queue to watch. Looking forward to it, didn't watch it when it aired but have heard great things.
Old 09-27-12, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like the show but it doesn't hold up well in some spots. The last half of season 3 is boring and season 6 is just meh.
Old 09-29-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Season 1: Episodes 3-4

"The Spread"

Spoiler:
It's Sweep-day on the Farm, with all outstanding warrants to be served. Mackey and the Strike Team move to take down an old foe, arresting a basketball star in the process, seeing a chance to affect sports history and make some money in the process.

Crazy, feels like I just watched all these episodes for the first time when they originally aired. I think there are a couple of seasons in the middle I kind of half watched but not early on. Good episode and I remember being shocked when Shane used the "N" word. I didn't remember them introducing the Julian homosexual storyline so early in the series. Semen dude was super creepy.

"Dawg Days"

Spoiler:
A gunfight breaks out in a crowded club between two local rappers which could potentially start a gang war. To further complicate matters, one of Mackey's contacts was involved in the shootout. Mackey and the Strike Team try to prevent the conflict from escalating.

This episode's storyline was kind of boring with the rappers and the migrant worker but did have some good intense scenes. Acevedo is so slimy.
Old 09-29-12, 08:15 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ive rewatched the whole show (all seven seasons) 3 times

Definitely one of my fav shows ever

Not one weak link in the main cast, all excellent performances
Old 09-30-12, 03:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I wish I could watch this show again for the first time. One of the all-time greats
Old 10-01-12, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Season 1: Episode 5

"Blowback"

Spoiler:
Aceveda insists that Mackey take uniformed cops in with them to bust an Armenian gang's drug delivery. After the bust, Margos Dezerian is caught among the Armenian gang and Lowe sees the Team take a portion of the drugs for themselves. But in the end Vendrell ends up having the drugs and the vehicle they're in stolen from them. While the search for the drugs and the truck goes on, Mackey learns that his son is autistic.

Written by Kurt Sutter with a cameo by...Kurt Sutter. Dude loves himself. Great scene when Shane and his girlfriend chase down the wrong Navigator.
Great line: Huh...these Armenians...speak Armenian.
Old 10-01-12, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Season 1: Episode 6

"Cherrypoppers"

Spoiler:
When the body of a young hooker is found in the district, Wagenbach and Wyms get the full resources of the Barn for 24 hours and the help of the FBI to search for Wagenbach's serial killer. Meanwhile, The Strike Team busts an underage prostitution ring, and Capt. Aceveda continues to investigate Mackey.

I really like it when Dutch and Mackie show some mutual respect. I forgot that many of the early cases were straight up SVU. Pretty good twist with the practical joke.

"Pay in Pain"

Spoiler:
When Mackey and Vendrell hook up with a cop from another precinct to investigate the shooting, Vendrell sets off an explosive confrontation with a suspect by making a racial slur; fortunately, Mackey defuses the situation. Wagenbach and Wyms search for a serial killer and bring in a psychic on a complaint from the son of one of her clients, and Aceveda calls internal affairs after getting Lowe's affidavit.

Poor, poor Julian. Great episode, solid case. The cop Mackie teams up with is pretty badass.
Old 10-02-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Season 1: Episodes 8-9

"Cupid & Psycho"

Spoiler:
Allegations against the Strike Team are front-page news, and the team is broken up pending the investigation. Mackey threatens to reveal that Officer Lowe is gay if he won't recant his statement about the Strike Team. In the meantime, Mackey and Wyms find themselves following the trail of a batch of "cupid" meth, while Vendrell and Wagenbach try to get along on a case.

Love the Vendrell and Duthboy teamup and good to see Dutch get the girl. Thought Julian gave in too easy. Rest of the episode was meh.

Shoes

"Throwaway"

Spoiler:
A planted gun in a truck-jacking case causes complications for the Strike Team, and now they're left to clean up their own mess. The rift between Officers Lowe and Sofer deepens, causing Aceveda to intervene. Wyms deals with the mess of her family during a visit from her daughter.

Good Lem story with the sister and the gun planted on the wrong guy. Strike team stealing just the gun was a bit much though. My wife remarked, "these guys sure mess up a lot don't they?".