The New Normal -- "Obama Mama" -- 9/25/12

Old 09-25-12, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
The New Normal -- "Obama Mama" -- 9/25/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Shania (Bebe Wood) is looking forward to her school's upcoming mock election, but shocks Bryan (Andrew Rannells) and David (Justin Bartha) when she tells them she will be voting for Obama, unlike her mother. Much to the dismay of hard core Republican Jane (Ellen Barkin) the boys begin a campaign to change Goldie's (Georgia King) all important vote. Later, they throw a party to show Jane they have a diverse group of friends. NeNe Leakes also stars.

Tonight is episode 4
Old 09-27-12, 12:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: The New Normal -- "Obama Mama" -- 9/25/12

the one-liners were flying left and right - the line: 'I don't see you being first in line for a Tyler Perry movie'
had me howling.
Old 09-27-12, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's good to see someone else enjoys this show.

I've tend to ignore network television outside of HIMYM, but I'm digging the shit out of this show... until it gets cancelled or Murphy nosedives it in season two, whichever comes first.
Old 09-27-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

This one was a little preachy, but i think they did a great job of not being overly slanted toward one party. The liberals had their good points/bad points, and the conservatives also did.
Old 09-27-12, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
This one was a little preachy, but i think they did a great job of not being overly slanted toward one party. The liberals had their good points/bad points, and the conservatives also did.
sure it was preachy, but at least it was topical - unlike a lot of fictional comedy shows that won't touch politics with a ten foot pole
Old 09-27-12, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
sure it was preachy, but at least it was topical - unlike a lot of fictional comedy shows that won't touch politics with a ten foot pole
exactly - i wasn't trying to be negative, just objective. I actually really liked that they were covering current topics/issues.

Compare to modern Family (which a lot of people are doing) - Modern family wouldn't touch current politics or the gay couple confrontation in the clothing store (from last week's episode). And i appreciate that this show is doing it.
Old 09-27-12, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
exactly - i wasn't trying to be negative, just objective. I actually really liked that they were covering current topics/issues.

Compare to modern Family (which a lot of people are doing) - Modern family wouldn't touch current politics or the gay couple confrontation in the clothing store (from last week's episode). And i appreciate that this show is doing it.
oh no don't get me wrong I didn't think you were being negative, but this show gets away with a lot of humor, whether it's politics or even outright racism, which I think the only other shows that mirrors it somewhat is 'Family Guy' and obviously 'South Park' - but the former borders on the more shocking IMO.