Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Audio Cassette to CD??

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Audio Cassette to CD??

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-00, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering if it was possible to some how get a tape (older family recorded stuff, growing up etc..) on to a CD. I know you would have to get it to the computer in a digital format but then how would you burn it to CD so you could listen to it on a regular CD player and not just the computer?

Just thought I would ask...
Old 10-22-00, 11:30 PM

Hmmm, just a guess here, as I have never done it, but in theory you could go from a boom box or something like that with 2 RCA's and get a cable from Radio Shack or wherever that would take it to the input of your sound card.

Then just record everything as a wav and record the wav into a CD Audio format...

Or I suppose you could purchase one of these home "rack" CD-Burners and do it that way...
Old 10-23-00, 11:55 AM

I'm not entirely certain, but I think if you record the file as a .wav file you can do what you want. I have mixed a cd by copying it to my hard drive, rearranged the order of the songs, and then recorded to cd. The problem is it may just be a feature of Easy CD Creator.

I'm sure most cd burning software allows recording sound files in a cd player readable format. Try searching thru it's help files.
Old 10-23-00, 01:06 PM

I have successfully done this before. (Although I did it with LPs instead of cassette tapes.) The guys above are right. I just got a RCA to mini-jack cable (cheap at RadioShack or the like) and went straight from my turntable to the input on my sound card. I recorded the songs as WAV files (you can use whatever program you want, it really makes no difference), then I used EasyCD Creator to burn the CD audio directly from the WAV files. All-in-all, it was a very painless process. The only trouble I had was getting the audio levels correct. Of course, I didn't have a really good sound recorded, so that was probably the problem.