Search this Thread

Old 09-19-12, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Amazon D-O-T-D Doctor Who: The David Tennant Years $69.99

Doctor Who: The David Tennant Years $69.99

And thats all I know.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

Reading the comments,looks like it doesn't included season 1.

This is a nice set but be aware by being a david tennant boxed set you are starting at season 2. Season one is $71 plus on amazon. com

Last edited by JoeySeven; 09-19-12 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-19-12, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon D-O-T-D Doctor Who: The David Tennant Years $69.99

Great deal, but the reviews on Amazon are awful. Apparently the discs are impossible to get out without scratching them...
Old 09-19-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Great deal, but the reviews on Amazon are awful. Apparently the discs are impossible to get out without scratching them...
Yeah, that's is why I passed on it. Was realllly tempted though.
Old 09-19-12, 12:52 PM

Dammit. More Shield/Smallville type packaging. Do they let children design these things? Someone needs to take the little golden books away from the marketing people. No sale. I'll lurk all the years I need to get a decent price in individual seasons.
Old 10-29-12, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,733 Likes on 1,886 Posts

I got this, and, sure enough, a few of the discs are scratched to shit.

Was wondering if someone could do me a favor here... My "Series 2, Disc 3" disc has some big scratches on it, and there is playback anomaly on it. During the "Age of Steel" episode at approximately 40:03 there is a brief pause like a layer change at the line of dialog "You're doing what?"

The disc pauses at that spot for about a second on my Sony blu-ray player and Toshiba DVD player, but it plays smoothly on my computer's DVD-ROM, so it makes me wonder if it isn't a layer change.

Can anyone confirm? I need to know whether I need to request a replacement set from Amazon.

TIA.
Old 10-30-12, 06:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hilts
Dammit. More Shield/Smallville type packaging. Do they let children design these things? Someone needs to take the little golden books away from the marketing people. No sale. I'll lurk all the years I need to get a decent price in individual seasons.
FYI...The newer "Shield" packaging discs are now in protective sleeves to prevent scratching upon removal...SONY finally did something smart!!!
Old 10-31-12, 08:19 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Was wondering if someone could do me a favor here... My "Series 2, Disc 3" disc has some big scratches on it, and there is playback anomaly on it. During the "Age of Steel" episode at approximately 40:03 there is a brief pause like a layer change at the line of dialog "You're doing what?"

The disc pauses at that spot for about a second on my Sony blu-ray player and Toshiba DVD player, but it plays smoothly on my computer's DVD-ROM, so it makes me wonder if it isn't a layer change.

Can anyone confirm? I need to know whether I need to request a replacement set from Amazon.

TIA.
I have the exact same problem on that exact same disc at that exact same time - yet my cousin's disc (from the original season 2 set issue) *doesn't* have it. Assuming BBC or 2Entertain didn't bother re-pressing new discs, these should be the same as the ones in the season set, and that *shouldn't* be a layer change (my original thought, as well). I'm as stumped as you are.

I'm thinking of writing directly to BBC Video about it - maybe they'll cough up a replacement disc. As much as I enjoy this show, I dread the thought of having to replace - and then re-watch - all 26 discs just to be sure they're all good.