Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sports Movie Cliches Pet Peeves

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-12, 11:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do so many sports movies that are based upon real-life counterparts have to resort to the same tired cliches?

We just finished watching a recent sports film (won't say which to avoid spoilers), but the same predictable things crop up: long of inspirational homilies but short on teaching fundamentals, cardboard stereotyped characters who are the players, last-second winning shots, villainous opposing coaches, etc.

We knew we were in for a bumpy ride when the opening shots proclaimed that the movie was "inspired by a true story". Not even "based upon"...just merely "inspired".

Also, one of the three principal leads didn't even exist in real life, and wasn't even a composite character. This person...who played a MAJOR role and was in a majority of scenes (third lead)...was simply created out of thin air.

I just wonder why filmmakers so often resort to ridiculous situations that stick out like a sore thumb...epecially when the real facts are fascinating enough.
Old 09-19-12, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Sports Movie Cliches Pet Peeves

I suspect that movies that tell the real story about famous athletes won't do well at the boxoffice. People like me who would actually find the real story more fascinating don't know enough or care enough about sports to bother going to such movies, while real sports fans who care enough about the subject to see these movies don't exactly want to hear the truth. They're much more comfortable with the cliches. (Or am I resorting to cliche here?)

It would be interesting to see a list of sports movies that succeeded at the boxoffice versus those that didn't and compare how "real" they were versus how cliched they were.

The director of the fictional BULL DURHAM (1988) later tried to tell a truthful baseball story in COBB (1994). Guess which one did well.

What about something like MONEYBALL, which I haven't seen yet, but which seems to have sidestepped the cliches and told a very different kind of sports story, all fact-based, as I understand. How well did that do and how well did it succeed in sticking to the facts?
Old 09-19-12, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

One overlooked one for me is that no matter the sport, the action is always focused on the offense.
Old 09-19-12, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

One of the reasons Friday Night Lights is one of the best sports movies.
Old 09-19-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

*Jules knocks over orange Gatorade jug* You guys are posting sloppy in here! Now, I know talking about the same old clichés is cliche but we can do is. Because we have heart. Because we have soul. Because we're the goddamned Movie forum!!
Old 09-19-12, 09:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
What about something like MONEYBALL, which I haven't seen yet, but which seems to have sidestepped the cliches and told a very different kind of sports story, all fact-based, as I understand. How well did that do and how well did it succeed in sticking to the facts?
It did well, but a lot of people were flipping their shit because

Spoiler:
The team doesn't win the "big game" at the end.
Old 09-19-12, 09:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about when movies copy from other movies.
Like (1974) THE LONGEST YARD and BAD NEWS BEARS .
The goof ball players movies that win it all that have come along in years.
Old 09-19-12, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
One overlooked one for me is that no matter the sport, the action is always focused on the offense.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mZ7ZpLgkVxA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-19-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Fact-based, but many MANY changes to fit the fiction. They simply ignored the elements from real life that didn't fit the narrative they were trying to build. i.e. Not mentioning it wasn't the spare parts that won the division for the A's, but the fact Tejada won the 2002 MVP; and not once mentioning the Hudson/Zito/Mulder pitching that was the primary reason the team was successful.

Plus the Jonah Hill character, while based on real people, didn't exist in real life as he did in the film.
Old 09-19-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
How about when movies copy from other movies.
Like (1974) THE LONGEST YARD and BAD NEWS BEARS .
The goof ball players movies that win it all that have come along in years.
*Jules knocks over orange Gatorade jug* I also hate the cliche of remaking goofball players sports movies from the 70's. Also The Bad News Bears lost. I do appreciate when the main character/team loses at the end though. I cheer a little inside.
Old 09-19-12, 11:47 AM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

I just take them one movie at at time. And the good lord willing, some of them will be enjoyable.
Old 09-19-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have never liked sports movies despite being the biggest sports fan.
Old 09-19-12, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrauss
Fact-based, but many MANY changes to fit the fiction. They simply ignored the elements from real life that didn't fit the narrative they were trying to build. i.e. Not mentioning it wasn't the spare parts that won the division for the A's, but the fact Tejada won the 2002 MVP; and not once mentioning the Hudson/Zito/Mulder pitching that was the primary reason the team was successful.

Plus the Jonah Hill character, while based on real people, didn't exist in real life as he did in the film.
As a sports fan (and big baseball fan) the things you listed were very obvious in Moneyball. I still enjoyed the movie a lot but leaving out the 3 big pitchers and Tejada definitely took me out of the film.

With that said, it's very rare for a sports story to make a perfectly good movie. There are big moments we remember that can be the basis for a good film but those are just moments. A movie needs to build around that and form a story that makes us react when that big moment happens on screen. More often than not, the story behind the big moment or the people involved just aren't that interesting. So a movie needs to make up for that and sometimes the only thing to do is create a character or create a dilemma that just isn't there.

With Moneyball, the 2002 A's weren't anything special. They won 20 games in a row, which is admittedly pretty amazing, but the cast of characters they had on the team was nothing special. They did it on the strength of 3 stud pitchers in their prime and with Miguel Tejada (later went on to win MVP) and Eric Chavez, guys that Beane didn't even sign himself. That's not impressive. No one wants to hear a story of a team that won a division because of 3 aces and an MVP, that happens every year. So naturally the movie focused on the average players and made it seem that they were the heroes because that simply makes for the better story.
Old 09-19-12, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

*Jumpcutz trips and falls into Jules, who in turn knocks over orange gatorade jug* Generic football movie: Coach gathers team around and announces "There are no atheists in foxholes".
Old 09-19-12, 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Why do so many sports movies that are based upon real-life counterparts have to resort to the same tired cliches?

We just finished watching a recent sports film (won't say which to avoid spoilers),
What movie? Put it in spoiler tag.
Old 09-19-12, 02:13 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always think it's funny when they have one of those underdog stories where the team loses a shit ton of games at the beginning of the season, then goes on presumably a huge winning streak to make it to the championships, but is still considered an underdog/surprise at that point. In real life a team in the midst of a hot streak like that would probably be considered a favorite regardless of how poorly their season started.
Old 09-19-12, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
I always think it's funny when they have one of those underdog stories where the team loses a shit ton of games at the beginning of the season, then goes on presumably a huge winning streak to make it to the championships, but is still considered an underdog/surprise at that point. In real life a team in the midst of a hot streak like that would probably be considered a favorite regardless of how poorly their season started.
Not necessarily. A good real life example of that is the 2007 Colorado Rockies. They ended their season winning 14 of 15 but didn't win the division and were considered underdogs through the playoffs.

Also at the end they're going up against the best team, one they usually peg as being great all season, it's not silly at all to think the hot team that just made it is the underdog compared to the team that was awesome all year.
Old 09-19-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There's never a full team with the exception of Miracle. I yelled at the screen at the end of The Replacments
Spoiler:
Come on he was at the docks in the first half!
That's why boxing movies dominate the best sports movies, and I love most sports except for boxing.
Old 09-19-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Friday Night Lights is the best sports movie.... great acting, felt real and the ending isnt your typical ending
Old 09-19-12, 03:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by raven56706
Slap Shot is the best sports movie
Fixed.
Old 09-19-12, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
Raging Bull is the best sports movie
Fixed for real
Old 09-19-12, 03:35 PM
Banned

OK, best comedy sports film. I'll concede that much.
Old 09-19-12, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by inri222
Fixed for real
Totally agree. I seriously don't understand how Raging Bull isn't the consensus top sports movie.
Old 09-19-12, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cleaver
Totally agree. I seriously don't understand how Raging Bull isn't the consensus top sports movie.
it is. this and bull durham always get the no. 1 spot.
Old 09-20-12, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Not necessarily. A good real life example of that is the 2007 Colorado Rockies. They ended their season winning 14 of 15 but didn't win the division and were considered underdogs through the playoffs.
I don't mean to go off topic here, but I wonder if the Indians would have beat them in the World Series if they hadn't blown the 3-1 lead in the ALCS?

I couldn't care less about cliches in sports movies. If it's done well, the movie rises above the cliches; if not, oh well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.