Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Larry David stars in HBO movie "Clear History"

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 05:11 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Larry David stars in HBO movie "Clear History"

Larry David Assembles All-Star Cast For HBO Movie: Jon Hamm, Kate Hudson, Danny McBride, Eva Mendes, Amy Ryan, Bill Hader

Larry David has finally lifted the veil of secrecy on on his upcoming movie for HBO. It will be titled Clear History, and, along with the long-rumored Jon Hamm and Michael Keaton, its cast will feature a slew of other big names. Joining star David will be Bill Hader,Kate Hudson, Phillip Baker Hall, Danny McBride, Eva Mendes, Amy Ryan, Curb Your Enthusiasm standout JB Smoove as well as Hamm and Keaton.

Clear History, which David co-wrote with Alec Berg, David Mandel and Jeff Schaffer, centers on former marketing executive at a start-up electric car company Nathan Flomm (David) who, after losing a fortune due to a petty argument with his boss (Hamm), is publicly humiliated for walking away from his 10% of a company now worth billions. Ten years later, his marriage over and reputation ruined, Nathan has changed his identity and lives a simple life on a small island off the coast of Massachusetts under the new name of Rolly DaVore. But when his former boss shows up to renovate his summer mansion, Nathan vows to seek his revenge and drive his nemesis off the island.

Bill Hader will play Rags, the friend and henchman of an eccentric local quarry owner who agrees to help Rolly settle an old debt. Jon Hamm as Will Haney, the founder of an electric car company who has a contentious relationship with his head of marketing, Nathan Flomm. Phillip Baker Hall will play McKenzie, the foreman of a local construction project who is duped into hiring Rolly and soon begins to regret it. Kate Hudson will play Rhonda, the glamorous wife of Larry’s arch-rival, with whom Rolly strikes up a special friendship. Michael Keaton will play Joe Stumpo, the erratic and eccentric operator of a quarry on a small island off the coast of Massachusetts.

Danny McBride will play Frank, a local denizen of a small island off the coast of Massachusetts, best friend to Rolly. Eva Mendes will play Jennifer, a local resident of a small island off the coast of Massachusetts, who takes an off-handed suggestion from Rolly a bit too seriously, causing Rolly no end of trouble. Amy Ryan will play Wendy, the ex-girlfriend of Rolly whom Rolly discovers has been hiding an explicit secret since before they dated. JB Smoove will play Jaspar, the ex-boyfriend of a local girl who blames Rolly for the demise of his relationship. The film is slated to shoot this fall in Massachusetts.

Greg Mottola is directing and will executive produce with Bradley Thomas, Alec Berg, David Mandel and Jeff Schaffer. Monica Levinson is a producer, Laura Streicher is associate producer.
Old 09-13-12, 05:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Larry David stars in HBO movie "Clear History"

Plot reminds me a lot of Sour Grapes, which was also about a rich guy / poor guy rivalry.
Old 09-14-12, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Plot reminds me a lot of Sour Grapes, which was also about a rich guy / poor guy rivalry.
Reminds me more of Envy, and probably will be just about as good.
Old 09-14-12, 09:09 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Strong supporting cast...hopefully this turns out being pretty good.
Old 09-14-12, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Also thought of Sour Grapes, which was so bad, despite the brilliance of Curb, makes me leery of Larry David doing another movie.
Old 09-14-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Also thought of Sour Grapes, which was so bad, despite the brilliance of Curb, makes me leery of Larry David doing another movie.
Words can't adequately convey the awfulness of that movie.
Old 09-15-12, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder what island they will use on the show? Maybe the one I live on! Sour Grapes did have some funny scenes, but it was pretty pretty pretty pretty bad. I thought the circles exchange between Hall and Bierko was hilarous.
Old 09-15-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I'll check it out since Larry David is involved. I have seen Sour Grapes but don't remember much of it so I can't really say if I liked it or not. This has a pretty strong cast though so hopefully it turns out decent.
Old 09-15-12, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

So let me get this straight, does this take place on a small island off the coast of Massachusetts?
Old 09-16-12, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Sour Grapes was more about how money can change relationships than a rich guy vs. poor guy story. It's not a great flick, but far from terrible. Though I will admit the thing I remember most from the film is the running gag about the flexibility of Bierko's character.

Also, it's one of the few DVDs left in my collection that hasn't received an OAR release. At least it's Open Matte...
Old 09-16-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
On the positive side, Alec Berg, David Mandel and Jeff Schaffer are writing the film. They wrote and directed EuroTrip alongside being heavily involved with the last (and completely amazing) season of Curb. They were also writers on Seinfeld and Schaffer is the creator of The League.

On the negative side, Alec Berg, David Mandel and Jeff Schaffer are writing the film. They wrote Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat.
Old 05-20-13, 10:33 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hQt0eZKqgqM?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by dex14; 05-20-13 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-20-13, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hopefully that's the only similarity to Sour Grapes.
Old 05-20-13, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Flan.
Old 05-20-13, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hQt0eZKqgqM?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've been staring at that picture and can not make out Larry David's face behind that beard. The guy looks so different without glasses.
Old 05-20-13, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

There's something else about David that looks different. I just can't put my finger on it. Hmmmm.
Old 05-20-13, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Looks like dentures/different teeth.
Old 05-21-13, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Weird... I thought the eyes and mouth were the things that made him recognizable in that still.
Old 05-21-13, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

The fake eyebrows also go a long way making his face look different.
Old 05-21-13, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought that it was a picture of Larry Charles when I first looked at it.
Old 06-06-13, 12:45 PM

Clear History, a HBO Films entry premiering Saturday, Aug. 10 at 9/8c, stars Curb Your Enthusiasm creator/star Larry David as a marketing executive for a start-up electric car company who loses out big time after giving up his share in the biz prior to a billion-dollar sales boom. Personally destroyed and publicly humiliated, David’s character hides away in a small island off the Massachusetts coast until something from the past threatens his new life.

Jon Hamm (Mad Men), Bill Hader (Saturday Night Live), Philip Baker Hall, Kate Hudson (Glee), Michael Keaton, Danny McBride (Eastbound & Down), Eva Mendes, Amy Ryan (The Office) and Curb alum J.B. Smoove also star.
Old 06-29-13, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 06-29-13, 11:36 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I liked Sour Grapes. I found it very funny.
Old 06-30-13, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by g
I liked Sour Grapes. I found it very funny.
I didn't dislike it, but I didn't think it was very good. I saw it on HBO in the middle of the night in either 2000 or 2001 and something just felt Seinfeld-like about the whole thing. I had figured either Jerry Seinfeld or Larry David was involved to some capacity, but I had never heard of it until then. It must've been DTV.
Old 06-30-13, 11:57 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Actually, I first saw it at a movie theater. It wasn't direct to video.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.