Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Damages -- Series Finale -- "But You Don't Do That Anymore" -- 9/12/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
In the series finale, Patty Hewes and Ellen Parsons have a climatic showdown in court.

Episode 10 of 10

That's it. Last episode of the series. If you weren't watching because you don't have Directv, your going to have to wait until the DVD release.

Promo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YlKeAfMCKko?list=PL5EF07A368B28ACEF&hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Possibly Spoiler regarding Ellen's fate:

Spoiler:
Look at the 0:21 mark of the promo. Ellen is holding a bloody towel to her head. Could be that she isn't dead after all.
Old 09-12-12, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Damages -- Series Finale -- "But You Don't Do That Anymore" -- 9/12/12

Crap. I am like 3 episodes behind. Perhaps I will marathon it tonight...
Old 09-13-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I knew she wasn't dead.

I really didn't care much for this season. The scenes between Patty and Ellen were excellent, but the rest was meh. Perhaps I got too used to the formula.
Old 09-13-12, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Agree. "Meh" about sums it up for me this season too. That's nice it only took Ellen purposefully getting Rutger murdered for her to realize that the lawyering life just wasn't for her, and now she can have a nice happy life with husband and daughter.

I felt bad about Michael getting murdered too. He'd really come a long way as a character and just wanted to raise his own daughter. I'm fine with the effect it had on Patty, however.

I guess my favorite scene was the one where Patty was envisioning Ellen coming up to the car to thank her for everything. That was nicely done.

Overall my least favorite season and I'm OK with it ending, but again props to DTV for giving us two more seasons than we would've had.
Old 09-13-12, 11:51 AM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm meh on the season as a whole too but I really liked this finale. Glenn Close was really phenomenal
In true Damages fashion they managed to tie up every story while giving us more twists
And I'm glad Ellen made it out OK.
Old 09-13-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Damages Post Mortem: EPs Answer Burning Qs About Finale

http://tvline.com/2012/09/12/damages...ing-questions/
Old 09-13-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

The season was good for the Patty/Ellen stuff, but the case itself didn't do much for me.

I knew Ellen wouldn't be dead, but that scene didn't happen the way I thought it would.

When she went to the doctor, it was obvious she was pregnant and we would find out about it later.

I didn't believe about Patty not caring about winning because we saw a scene earlier in the season where she freaked out in her office when something didn't go her way (like Ellen did this episode). To me it seems like Ellen won the overall battle - Patty wanted Ellen to fully commit and she did (pushing for someone's death, and also screwing over Chris and the army guy for her case) - and that made Patty win but only temporarily... Ellen won by walking away from being a lawyer. Although the idea that you have go to those lengths to be that successful in the field is ridiculous.

I found it odd that even though Ryan Phillipe was the guest star for the season and the whole case essentially centred around him - he was barely in the finale due to the case being dropped.

Not believable that buddy killed Michael right then and there. It's not like no-one saw him there minutes earlier, and then they come back to see Michael is dead and buddy's gone.

Kate's inclusion this season wasn't very relevant. She was just there for Patty to know about her father being on his death bed. Is that it? And the inclusion of the father really didn't do much except to show that Patty had a terrible childhood. Seemed like too much work for such little results.

Still, I enjoyed the series overall and I'm glad they ended it instead of dragging it on for more seasons.
Old 09-13-12, 08:50 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Kate's inclusion this season wasn't very relevant. She was just there for Patty to know about her father being on his death bed. Is that it? And the inclusion of the father really didn't do much except to show that Patty had a terrible childhood. Seemed like too much work for such little results.
What was the part about when Patty asked her, "What was he like as a father for you?" I didn't really get that.
Old 09-13-12, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
My take on the inclusion of Kate & their father was to show how bitter and hateful to the core Patty was. She was there to demonstrate how two people who grew up under almost identical circumstances with the same father could be so different; one caring and compassionate, the other vindictive and permanently disturbed. The speech Patty gave her father just drove it home: "Hate is all I have." I thought it was quite spectacular because even though the writers finally admit to how truly nasty she is, she never once becomes one-dimensional in a villainous way. It was simultaneously frightening and sympathetic.

I really loved the finale, but with one reservation. As terrifying as that final shot of Patty was, I thought it should have ended with Ellen walking away from Patty. It would have ended on a deliciously dark note; Ellen finally realizing that she's become just like Patty and, with no moral high-ground left for safety, sees there's nothing she can say in her defense & walks off. To see Ellen get a completely happy ending after the things she's done seemed a tad false given how dark the show always was.
Old 09-13-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by uteotw
What was the part about when Patty asked her, "What was he like as a father for you?" I didn't really get that.
Patty and Kate are half-sisters.

Patty's father abandoned his family. Kate was his daughter in a new marriage/family. At least that's my interpretation from the last 2 episodes.
Old 09-14-12, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I got too. But I thought the purpose of her question was more one of intellectual curiosity (as close as Patty gets to exploring her emotions). She wanted to know if perhaps Franklin's ability to forgive was because she didn't live through the hell Patty did. But no. She did. She just handled it differently.

It struck me at the end of the episode that the apple sure didn't fall far from the tree. As much as she hated her father, Patty acted just like him in some ways. After all, in her mind, she looks at her horrible actions in a rather romantic way and thinks she helped make Ellen tougher. That sounds just like her father.

It was good show, but it kind of wimpered to the finish line.
Old 08-21-13, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump for real life consequences
http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...-moral-courage
Old 09-02-13, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just caught up with this on DVD. Easily their weakest season but it was still better than most of what was on tv. Sad to see it go, but it was its time.
Old 10-18-13, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I knew she wasn't dead.

I really didn't care much for this season. The scenes between Patty and Ellen were excellent, but the rest was meh. Perhaps I got too used to the formula.
I just got finished with this via Netflix streaming and have to agree with most of this. As the season went on, I found myself bored with the Channing McClaren case. It doesn't help that I found Ryan Phillipe's portrayal of the character to be pretty wooden. John Hannah had the more interesting story anyway.

What struck me watching this is how close Patty and Ellen really are in character. As the series progressed, we see Ellen pretty much mirroring Patty in actions. She basically became almost as obsessed and insane as Patty was. I'm sad that Michael died. I ended up liking him alot during the final season.