Go On -- Timeslot Premiere -- "He Got Game, She Got Cats" -- 9/11/12

Old 09-11-12, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,546 Likes on 2,541 Posts
Go On -- Timeslot Premiere -- "He Got Game, She Got Cats" -- 9/11/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Ryan (Matthew Perry) comes to grips that he doesn't have Janie (Christine Woods) around to cook or shop for him anymore. The group discovers that Lauren (Laura Benanti) caves under pressure when taking tests and decides to help her study for her grad school entrance exam. Meanwhile, Steven (John Cho) has broken up with his girlfriend and enlists Ryan to be his wingman to go out on the town. Julie White, Tyler James Williams, Suzy Nakamura and Brett Gelman also star.

FYI, even though NBC is promoting this as the Series Premiere, the Pilot already premiered back in early August after the Olympics for those who didn't know. It re-aired last night

Preview:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1415719" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Old 09-11-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Go On -- Timeslot Premiere -- "He Got Game, She Got Cats" -- 9/11/12

Matthew Perry gets annoying to me pretty fast, but I was surprised how much I liked this one. I'll definitely watch the one that's on tonight.
Old 09-11-12, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I liked this a lot. Its following the trend of being g both funny and full of heart. I think this ones a keeper.
Old 09-12-12, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk God

I thought the Pilot was okay, but for some reason I really liked this episode alot. The episode brought a smile to my face. Perry is a charming actor and he's made the Ryan character interesting so far.

It was a good mix of humor and heart. I enjoyed Ryan's interactions with Goerge and his assistant. I when Ryan and Steven were trying to find Wilt Chamberlain's basketball.

I think Perry has some good chemistry with Laura Benanti. I know it's early, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest bit that they may be setting Lauren up as a potential future love interest for Ryan.

Interesting at the end that they actually used some real NBA footage from a Lakers game against the Thunder from last season.

I hope this somehow manages to do well enough to get a full season. NBC's standards for what is considered good in the ratings is so low, that it might have a shot.
Old 09-12-12, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The pilot was better then the second episode for me. I liked Ryan interacting with the people at the group better then his interaction with his assistant, which came off kind of weird to me.
Old 09-12-12, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The pilot was better then the second episode for me. I liked Ryan interacting with the people at the group better then his interaction with his assistant, which came off kind of weird to me.
I don't think the stuff with his assistant was weird. He's still struggling to get over the death of his wife and developed a "unique" bond with her even though it went a little overboard. He came to terms with it after leaving the hairdresser and speaking to her outside. I think he looks at her as his closest friend right now.
Old 09-12-12, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I don't think the stuff with his assistant was weird. He's still struggling to get over the death of his wife and developed a "unique" bond with her even though it went a little overboard. He came to terms with it after leaving the hairdresser and speaking to her outside. I think he looks at her as his closest friend right now.
It took some getting used to for me. It just seems odd a guy would be so close with his assistant. I get why he found the need to latch on and I get that there's no sexual tension there but the fact that it was his assistant did seem a little odd.

I hope this somehow manages to do well enough to get a full season. NBC's standards for what is considered good in the ratings is so low, that it might have a shot.
I don't know much about how they run tv but I imagine they'll give this one more than a fair shot. It was heavily promoted. It has Mathew Perry. It's coming at a time when the network needs good new comedies to replace Office and 30 Rock. And it's been getting pretty favorable reviews.
Old 09-12-12, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I enjoyed this one again this week. Better than most the comedies out there. I do wonder how long they can milk the premise and keep finding ways for his two worlds (this discussion group and his work group) to continue to intermingle.
Old 09-12-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

You don't have to explain the plot, the show made it pretty clear the reason why he was acting like that. I just don't think it came off particularly well and wasn't very funny.
Old 09-12-12, 10:06 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

I have yet to watch the second episode. I really did not like the first, but willing to give it one more shot. Am I the only one that finds themselves thinking/calling this show "Goon"?
Old 09-12-12, 12:19 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Thought the pilot was average and liked the second episode even less. I think I'm out.
Old 09-12-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk God

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...s-down/148357/

9.6M viewers and 3.4. It helped having The Voice as a lead-in.
Old 09-14-12, 06:36 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

I'm out. the second episode was no better than the first. not a single laugh. this show is awful, and Matthew Perry is doing Chandler Bing doing a bad Chandler Bing impression. Just horrid all around and not worthy of my time.