Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Studios should have a program to buy a complete series box, if you own all the sets!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Studios should have a program to buy a complete series box, if you own all the sets!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whos with me? I have too many sets taking up room and would like to just buy the box for the series and throw the individual boxes away. It would be great for people. Does any studio already do this?
Old 09-09-12, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Studios should have a program to buy a complete series box, if you own all the se

That would be great, but only if certain series were normally packaged. For instance, sometimes a complete series set of something will have special packaging where the discs slide into sleeves or some sort of group casing. So, if you get the special box and put the discs in, you'll be left with the original cases/boxes. The TMNT complete series in the van set that's coming out. I'd like that, but the discs appear to slide in some sort of slots. The individual sets have great artwork, especially in the later seasons.
Old 09-09-12, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Studios should have a program to buy a complete series box, if you own all the se

I agree with this. I think it's pretty crappy of the studios to release a complete box after the biggest fans of whatever the show in question is (in most cases at least) have already shelled out money for a bunch of seasons. Not to mention a lot of shows are released based on how well the releases for the series sell so if you don't buy them and wait for a box set to come out the show may never be fully released. Granted I understand in some cases that the complete set is released to get rid of existing overstock the studio is sitting on but still I'd even be willing to pay a little extra for just the box in certain instances (I'd love to have the complete Seinfeld set for example).
Old 09-09-12, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Friends did this. It's a real nice wooden box with a glass door that all ten individual seasons fit in.
Old 09-10-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Weren't there a few DVD sets where, for a small extra charge, you could send off to the studio for a new DVD case designed to hold complete sets?Or am I remembering wrong?

-jason
Old 09-10-12, 07:55 PM

I haent heard of that. Itd be cool if it existed tho.
Old 09-11-12, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not a TV series but Universal did this when Jurassic Park III hit DVD relatively shortly after the first two films were released in their own box set. Thy included the bonus disc too.

It should happen more. On the other hand some releases actually use different disc configurations so it isn't always an option.
Old 09-11-12, 07:53 AM

That would be awesome to have, but realistically there probably isn't much demand for such programs to exist in a company. I have to say I'm a sucker for a nice big DVD set. I happily own some obnoxiously awesome sets like the Battlestar Gallactica cylon head or the Blade Runner briefcase sets. Even regular full series's sets are nice to have one giant box condensed on your shelf.

So the big box sets end up being for the hardcore fanatics who need to own every piece of memorabilia for a show. Or they're for people who want to go from owning nothing of a series straight to owning EVERYTHING!!
Old 09-11-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anchor Bay did this with the original Xena Warrior Princess & Hercules sets. The box cost $2 shipping I think.

It was an outer box that held the individual releases though
Old 09-11-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kill Bill released a "box" that you could slide the two moves into when both of them were released.
Old 09-13-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would love it if Sony offered a way for me to buy the packaging for the new Married with Children box set. It's sad that I'm actually considering buying the set and trading off the individual sets I have, just for different packaging.

Well, sad for me, not for $ony.

-jason
Old 09-13-12, 09:15 AM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

"Lord of the Rings" did this with their 4-disc versions, you could buy the outer box that held all 3 for $3.95 S&H
Old 09-13-12, 09:19 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Warner also did this with second set of Astaire and Rogers films. You could order it with a box to hold all the films and slim cases for the films in the first set (which were released in the wider cases originally).