Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Samsung 611-Did I just make a big mistake?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Samsung 611-Did I just make a big mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-00, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I just got this player about ten days ago, basing the decision more on price and the terrific run I've had with a Samsung tv. I then get on the net to see what others think about it and I come up with a litany of complaints! And yet, there are also some people who seem quite happy with it.

The thing is, I haven't noticed anything like what the complaints have been saying. As far as I've noticed, there have been no skips to speak of and the picture and sound seem fine (my receiver is only Dolby pro-logic though).
I have bought a few films and they all have seemed to play well.

So, I guess what I'm asking is this the calm before the storm? Will it suddenly start devouring discs? What's the story?
Old 10-19-00, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by BrianLindstrand:

Okay, I just got this player about ten days ago...I then get on the net to see what others think about it...
<HR>

I think the real mistake you made is outlined in what I quoted above. Either research your purchase beforehand, or not at all.

You should try as many of the dvds that you've read people have had problems with as possible.

If your player doesn't have a problem, and you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

-S
Old 10-19-00, 05:05 PM

Past Samsung players have had issues with DVD content that pushed the tech envelope sorta speak.

Get the Matrix and see if it works because Matrix is one of those discs that have DVD-ROM content as well and provided a lot of problems for players.

Get a DVD that uses seamless branching such as the Abyss: SE and test it out to see whether the player can handle discs that use seamless branching.

Old 10-19-00, 06:20 PM

HUGE mistake! Run, don't walk back to the store and trade it in on a Toshiba player. My brother got the 611 last month and kept it a week. It was VERY picky. On 4 out of the first 4 dvds he tried it skipped and pixelized early and often. I had just watched them on my Toshiba the week before and knew they were not dirty.

He traded it in on the Toshiba and had NO more problems. His layer changes were also noticably long on the Samsung whereas he doesn't even notice the layer changes on the Toshiba. Return it now while you can...
Old 10-19-00, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with DVD guru, I reccomend you return that thing if possible. however, I wouldn't reccomend a Toshiba as they have had problems with a few discs lately. If you can, go with Pioneer or Sony. Toshiba's are good but they've had some firmware problems as of late(The Pseudopod multiangle sequence on Abyss disc 2 for example). Anyhow, good luck.

------------------
Dave My DVDs(Not updated anymore since DVD Tracker uncooly started charging). My Humble Home Theatre
Old 10-20-00, 11:18 PM

I haven't had any trouble with any discs that I got new, but two that I've rented (THE MATRIX and THE EXORCIST) have shown pixillation and one that I bought previously viewed (GALAXY QUEST) also had a brief flash of pixels.

The thing about THE MATRIX copy that I watched was that not only was the disc really badly scratched, but it had fingerprints on it! What gives? Besides the brief pixillation in one scene, THE MATRIX played fine, and the action scenes looked great.
Old 10-21-00, 07:52 AM
Banned

Brian,
Good choice with the Samsung! They offer the
best bang for the buck but more importantly,
they have great customer service, tech support and WARRANTY support. And 9 out 10
times, they'll bend their warranty rules to
keep you happy, I have seen them do it too
many times.
Toshiba???? I am not saying Toshiba is bad
but too many people got burnt on their DVD
firmware issues, after 90 days of ownership,
you are on your own and have to fork out
big bucks for any upgrades, repair & fixes.
Stay with your Samsung!
Old 10-21-00, 02:17 PM
Cool New Member

You could try the Hitachi 505 or the New 705.
(The european ones still have mp3 playback )

Although the North American ones are having it removed.