Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-12, 04:14 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering if America will turn out for his new movie.
Old 09-03-12, 04:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?

Only the conservatives who were not planning on seeing it at the theater.
Although the reviews from the critics I expect to be bad.
Be sure to see Roger Ebert's review when it comes out to see if I'm right.
Old 09-03-12, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?

Well it looks pretty bad, kind of like a lot of his recent films.
Old 09-03-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I will. Clint Eastwood is my hero. Like the politics or not. Make fun of it if you want. And it doesn't sway my distaste for Republican stigma. But it takes a manly man to get up and talk like that.

Clint is a man who takes care of business. Hollywood has it's stand-up liberals to (like James Cameron).

Bah. I could write a love letter to Clint Eastwood. I'd rather just exchange a stoic look and go on my way.

So I guess it makes me like Clint more. But still won't sway me from voting Obama.
Old 09-03-12, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be fair Clint is closer to a libertarian and he's certainly not a social conservative crazy.
Old 09-03-12, 04:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by troystiffler
I will. Clint Eastwood is my hero. Like the politics or not. Make fun of it if you want. And it doesn't sway my distaste for Republican stigma. But it takes a manly man to get up and talk like that.

Clint is a man who takes care of business. Hollywood has it's stand-up liberals to (like James Cameron).

Bah. I could write a love letter to Clint Eastwood. I'd rather just exchange a stoic look and go on my way.

So I guess it makes me like Clint more. But still won't sway me from voting Obama.
So you'll go see Clint's movie if it's good or bad and you'll vote for Obama cause you don't care if he's done good or bad job. I guess that makes sense.
Old 09-03-12, 04:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And you won't vote for Obama if he's done a good job or bad, wm_lopez, so how about we leave the Obama comments out of it, since this thread is explicitly about Clint Eastwood?
Old 09-03-12, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Changeling was his last movie he made that I enjoyed. But no, it has no affect.
Old 09-03-12, 05:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet
And you won't vote for Obama if he's done a good job or bad, wm_lopez, so how about we leave the Obama comments out of it, since this thread is explicitly about Clint Eastwood?
Clint Eastwood has gone on record that he is a liberal.
He has the respect of Sean Penn who didn't want to attend the Oscars but Clint said that he would make Penn go.
I can't think of any movie character that Clint has played good guy or bad guy that didn't seem to have good judgement. So both liberals and conservatives should be asking themselves that maybe Clint's right.
People turned out for Brad Pitt's MONEYBALL so I think they will for this movie too.
Old 09-03-12, 05:14 PM
Banned by request

His politics will have no impact on the box office take on his movies. The reason the question was asked was because the chair stunt at the RNC made him look like a silly old man. I think it will not impact the BO take of his movie, though.
Old 09-03-12, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no problem watching a film with an actor/actress that I disagree with politically. That said, the new movie doesn't look like my cup of tea.
Old 09-03-12, 05:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why the fuck does it really matter what his politics are? I watch movies for his work onscreen...not wtf he does in his normal life. I don't give a shit about that..though I would love to meet him cuz he seems like a really nice mellow man.
Old 09-03-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

No.
Old 09-03-12, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wm lopez
So you'll go see Clint's movie if it's good or bad and you'll vote for Obama cause you don't care if he's done good or bad job. I guess that makes sense.
I'll go and see Clint's movie because I'm an open-minded person and don't get caught up in what other people have to say. I'm voting for Obama because I don't think that the Republicans have it in them to make a difference in the world.

Or just for you, I'll vote for Obama because we're in a battle of good vs evil. And Romney is the antichrist or something. But Christians (pretend or real) willfully hope for such a thing, because they're psychotic and think that we live in a world where demons are going to come to earth and there will be a battle of angels vs demons.

Really, I'm voting for Obama because current conesrvative Republican ideals make me feel like a bad person.

I wouldn't mind if Obama loses. One guy will probably do the same crappy job as the other. Luckily, politics don't have much affect on the way I live. Nothing is really that different now for me, than it was ten years ago. Republicans can ruin another four years and we can go back to complaining about them. Fox News will go from the offense to the defense and spin damage control. Everything the Republicans screw up will be spun in a positive way. And problems inherited will be blamed on Liberals.

Edit: Sowwy, Supermallet
Old 09-03-12, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think Changeling was his last movie he made that I enjoyed. But no, it has no affect.
Haven't seen Gran Torino?
Old 09-03-12, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whotony
Awesome movie. But that was before Chalenging.
Old 09-03-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

It was?

doesnt seem that long ago.
Old 09-03-12, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I actually think his new movie looks pretty good to be honest. I'll see it regardless of his comments.
Old 09-03-12, 05:55 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Awesome movie. But that was before Chalenging.
No, Changeling came out in October 2008, Gran Torino came out December 2008.
Old 09-03-12, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Although the reviews from the critics I expect to be bad.
Be sure to see Roger Ebert's review when it comes out to see if I'm right.
Well, so far it looks like you're wrong about Ebert.

Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
I've seen his new film, "Trouble with the Curve," and it is wonderful. Let me be clear: I love this man. I don't give a damn what his politics are. For me it was the same with John Wayne.
Anyway, I thought Gran Torino was supposed to be his last acting role. I don't know anything about this movie, so I'm curious what made him want to come back. I'm assuming it isn't some movie like The Bucket List.
Old 09-03-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Yeah, I hate that movie with a passion.
Old 09-03-12, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No, I don't think it will have an impact. But then again, most of us can't answer this question based on how we feel. I mean, we're movie buffs; we don't care what an actor's politics are, or if the movie contains a scene with a shootout in a theater. It's the average joe that may be more sensitive.

Maybe they can get Justin Timberlake to perform at the DNC to balance things out.
Old 09-03-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

He's Clint Eastwood.

Either way, he'll be alright.
Old 09-03-12, 06:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet
His politics will have no impact on the box office take on his movies. The reason the question was asked was because the chair stunt at the RNC made him look like a silly old man. I think it will not impact the BO take of his movie, though.
George Clooney and Spike Lee have been hurt at the box-office because of their politics. Their movies always get good reviews but don't do well at the box-office. They have more misses than hits.
Old 09-03-12, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.