Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

SPL 2: A Time for Consequences (2015) -- S: Tony Jaa, Wu Jing, Simon Yam

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-03-12, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Not alot of details, but this news just came out today:

A Hong Kong based project has long been rumored for Thai action star Tony Jaa. Now news has just come from Hong Kong that a sequel to the 2005 hit Sha Po Lang (SPL) is in the works and will see Sammo Hung and Wu Jing from the original movie collaborating with Tony Jaa for the very first time.

Sha Po Lang was a surprise hit at the Hong Kong box office upon its release in 2005 and quickly gained a cult following in the rest of the world. The movie was also the first in a string of successful collaborations between director Wilson Yip and star Donnie Yen, which included films like Flash Point, Ip Man 1 & 2.

Donnie Yen, the leading man in the original film, is reportedly considering taking part in the sequel.

Sha Po Lang 2 is due to start filming in 2013.
Old 09-03-12, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk God

re: SPL 2: A Time for Consequences (2015) -- S: Tony Jaa, Wu Jing, Simon Yam

SPL or Kill Zone was one of the most badass Hong Kong action movies from 7 years ago. I'm wondering if this is going to be a prequel.
Old 09-03-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk God

If some of you have no idea what SPL is. Here is the trailer from the 1st movie.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JmJyXOIgyV4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was a key fight scene from the 1st movie between Yen and Wu Jing

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vZs48lJXhxM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-03-12, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm down for Donnie Yen being badass again. I'm not sure how this could be a sequel considering how SPL ended...whatever...it's HK. Just give me a fun story and some damn good ass kicking.
Old 09-03-12, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SPL didn't have the same ending that we saw in America (and other parts of the world). The movie ended before the throw. (if you have seen the movie then you will know what I am talking about. Bey Logan makes a mention of this in his commentary track.
Old 09-04-12, 06:16 AM
Banned

I totally forgot about that. Now if they could somehow delete that scene of Yen throwing Sammo. I love HK movies...but goddamn did that take me out of the movie.
Old 09-04-12, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Im down for a sequel, first one was great.
Old 09-04-12, 08:33 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by godzilla rules
SPL didn't have the same ending that we saw in America (and other parts of the world). The movie ended before the throw. (if you have seen the movie then you will know what I am talking about. Bey Logan makes a mention of this in his commentary track.
Well shit, I had no idea. I bought thie HK release, so when Sammo and Yen bought it at the very end, I figured that was it. Now I may have to pick up the US version just to see how they cut that out.
Old 09-04-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by godzilla rules
Which throw do you mean, exactly? (use spoiler tags if you must) I have both the HK release and the US release and they are both the same.
Old 09-05-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nevermind, I listened to the commentary myself.
Spoiler:
Logan mentions that "in China", the film ends after Yen throws Hung onto the bar smashing all the liquor bottles because there are big issues with showing policemen being killed on film (meaning Yen doesn't get thrown out the window and snuff it in this version)

Now, I'm assuming Logan meant "mainland China", because the Hong Kong dvd and blu-ray certainly have the ending found on the US Dragon Dynasty version.
Old 09-05-12, 11:22 AM
Banned

Soooooooo no official version really exists even though this is a HK film? Is that what i'm reading it as?

EDIT: Well I guess w/ SPL2 coming out...I guess the China one is "official" and we just have an alternate cut? Whatever.

Spoiler:
Soooooooo...I guess Sammo's family will be back?

Wait sooooo if Jing is back too....uhm....how...does that work as well? Can cops not kill in films in China? I can't remember how it works...I remember Police Story having things like this to be worked out as well. Been so long since I've actually thought about their weird limitations over there. Soooooo wtf did they see...just an epic ass kicking but w/o the kill? Cuz...I mean..it's a good 30 secs. at the end of that fight where it can't be avoided and just left as that. Hrmmm..I need to get my DVD of this out.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 09-05-12 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-05-12, 11:24 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I saw it at TIFF in 2005, and I think I remember that scene being there.
I really should pick this one up on Blu-ray.
Old 09-05-12, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Soooooooo no official version really exists even though this is a HK film? Is that what i'm reading it as?

EDIT: Well I guess w/ SPL2 coming out...I guess the China one is "official" and we just have an alternate cut? Whatever.

Spoiler:

Wait sooooo if Jing is back too....uhm....how...does that work as well? Can cops not kill in films in China? I can't remember how it works...I remember Police Story having things like this to be worked out as well. Been so long since I've actually thought about their weird limitations over there. Soooooo wtf did they see...just an epic ass kicking but w/o the kill? Cuz...I mean..it's a good 30 secs. at the end of that fight where it can't be avoided and just left as that. Hrmmm..I need to get my DVD of this out.
I don't know. It's all very confusing. Unless SPL 2 is indeed a prequel...or some alternate reality nonsense...or just different characters and story with the same actors.
Old 09-05-12, 01:48 PM
Banned

well if it's a prequel...I don't think Yen and Sammo's character know each other till SPL1. Again...I don't remember that detail.
Old 09-05-12, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Wasn't Flashpoint supposed to be a prequel to SPL? I could have sworn that Yen's character in that was the same guy.

Regarding Wu Jing returning, unless it's a prequel, the only way he could possibly return if it's a twin brother.

**I don't think you need to spoilerize commentary about SPL. If you haven't already seen Part 1, why would you want to read about part 2? **
Old 09-05-12, 02:02 PM
Banned

Flashpoint was supposed to be...but Yen's cop is a different guy..even though he acts the same and for some reason is set around the same period..but different name. But it stars Yen as kick ass cop who does MMA style kickassery..and it's directed by Yip.
Old 09-05-12, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
**I don't think you need to spoilerize commentary about SPL. If you haven't already seen Part 1, why would you want to read about part 2? **
Logical, but you'd be surprised what people get upset about.
Old 09-05-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk God

It's going to be interesting to see how they incorporate Jaa into a HK Cantonese speaking movie. Tony is Thai and I'm not even sure he speaks any other language. I have a feeling he's probably going to be some Thai hitman or martial arts expert/goon who probably has little to no dialogue.
Old 09-05-12, 02:20 PM
Banned

While I will admit to Jaa being an awesome asskicker. They're going to have to amp up his screen presence cuz you make him act...it all fucking falls apart. He sure as hell can't stand next to Yen and look as awesome. Great ass kicker...horrible actor even by HK action standards. So hopefully he's just a silent goon
Old 09-05-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He'll still be pissed about whoever fucked with his elephants.
Old 09-05-12, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Wasn't Flashpoint supposed to be a prequel to SPL? I could have sworn that Yen's character in that was the same guy.
No. Same first name but different character.

And Sammo Hung tried to make a prequel with a different director but it all changed mid production into what eventually became Fatal Move.
Old 09-05-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I just looked at the HK dvd and if that's the case then no one really dies; just feels like it's all BS to me just to make another movie. I also noticed that the cop that was strung up was let go. Why didn't Sammo just kill his ass? Doesn't make any sense. So, the actual ending would be Sammo and Wu Jing go to jail, his wife and baby doesn't die and he somehow gets released to start his shit again. Okay...whatever.
Old 09-05-12, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

From what I recall, the only difference between the HK release and Mainland release is the deaths of Donnie Yen and Sammo's family don't happen. Instead, the fight ends after the flip and Donnie has his last drink. Sammo's implied to be in jail and Simon Yam dies from his tumor. It was an effort to give the film a "happy" ending (which betrayed the theme of karma that was hammered throughout the film). If killing cops was a no-no, then all the other cops Jing Wu killed would have to turn up alive as well.

Something tells me they are pulling a Young and Dangerous. They'll recycle the same cast but in different roles.
Old 06-29-15, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow!! A 3 year bump since I first created this thread.

Here's the trailer. The movie already opened in Hong Kong. I was just there 3 weeks ago and missed the chance to see this there. Bummer. I left before it opened on the 18th.

Sammo Hung and Donnie Yen are not in this movie. Tony Jaa and Wu Jing are the main stars. It's an in name only sequel.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/srD4k-kpU7Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's the plot summary:

Undercover cop Kit (Wu Jing) becomes a junkie in order to catch Mr Hung (Louis Koo), the mastermind behind a crime syndicate. When the operation goes sour and Kit blows his cover, his supervisor and uncle Wah (Simon Yam) decides to terminate the operation. When Kit disappears without a trace, Wah defies the order from his commanding officer and tracks Kit to a prison in Thailand. Thai Police officer Chai (Tony Jaa) becomes a prison guard in order to raise money for his daughter who has leukemia. He's assigned to keep an eye on Kit. Even though Chai and Kit are in opposing positions and they don't speak a common language, Kit turns out to be a suitable bone marrow donor who can save Chai's daughter. While Chai is determined to keep Kit alive, the warden Ko (Zhang Jin) wants him dead to ensure the smooth operation of the prison, which is the front for Mr Hung's organ trafficking business. Mr Hung shows up in Thailand so he can use his younger brother's (Jun Kung) heart in a heart transplant to save his own life. The stage is set for a showdown...
Old 06-30-15, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks alright...I can wait until it eventuallly gets released here.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.