DVD Talk
MGM/Fox will release Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure on November 13th in Canada.US [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : MGM/Fox will release Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure on November 13th in Canada.US

europefan01
08-31-12, 09:55 AM
No date yet for Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

Gizmo
08-31-12, 10:55 AM
Excellent!

(someone had to do it...)

Josh Z
08-31-12, 01:23 PM
Party on!

Oh crap, wrong movie. :)

RocShemp
08-31-12, 01:44 PM
Party on!

Bogus. :(

Matthew Chmiel
08-31-12, 06:52 PM
I really wish studios would take the Disney approach when releasing films and their sequels on Blu-ray. Do you have two films in a franchise? Sweet! Throw them on the same Blu-ray disc, include DVD copies and call it a day. Done.

I like Excellent, but I love Bogus.

islandclaws
08-31-12, 07:54 PM
Fully agree with you there. A double feature disc would have been ideal.

RocShemp
08-31-12, 10:12 PM
I'd rather a two-disc set than both films on one disc. However, I fully endorse the idea of a most excellent double feature release. :rock:

Schloob1
08-31-12, 11:06 PM
Alright, what gives. So did the OP find an article that had said 11/13 was a release date, but turned out not to be true :confused:

Matthew Chmiel
09-01-12, 01:39 AM
I'd rather a two-disc set than both films on one disc.
Why?

183-minutes in 1080p under the AVC codec with lossless DTS HD-MA 5.1 soundtracks can easily fit on a single-disc with not much compression needed. You'd even have room to fit all of the bonus features in standard definition.

Alan Smithee
09-01-12, 04:59 PM
They need to include the original 2-channel matrix surround mixes on these too (digital sound on film wasn't around yet, and I doubt these were released in 70mm) - The 5.1 remix of Bogus Journey ruined one scene with panned dialogue, and they also cut off several seconds from the beginning of the movie.

Mike86
09-01-12, 06:33 PM
Glad to be getting this one, hopefully Bogus isn't too far off.

Shagrath
09-01-12, 07:04 PM
I really wish studios would take the Disney approach when releasing films and their sequels on Blu-ray. Do you have two films in a franchise? Sweet! Throw them on the same Blu-ray disc, include DVD copies and call it a day. Done.
But ditch the dvd copies. I really really hate the "2-disc set" with one of them being a dvd. I either already have the dvd, or have absolutely no need for it, as I'm not going to want to ever watch a lesser presentation of a film with the blu-ray being within my reach as well.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
09-01-12, 07:40 PM
Some people really liked Bogus better? I never particularly cared for it. It was ok, but nowhere near my expectations.

Spottedfeather
09-01-12, 09:28 PM
Party on!

Not really. Lincoln says that at the end of the first movie.

PatD
09-02-12, 03:54 PM
Some people really liked Bogus better? I never particularly cared for it. It was ok, but nowhere near my expectations.

I'm with you.

"Excellent Adventure" is the quintessential smart-dumb movie where the film has a decent middlebrow sense of humor even if the film's protagonists are complete airheads. Over the years, I've appreciated more and more of its downright subtle and inventive humor.

"Bogus Journey" on the other hand was a movie I adored when I first saw at the age of 13, but over the decades, it is more obvious that it was made for early teens in mind. Sure, it had that tip of the hat to Ingmar Bergman, but other than that it was a dumb-dumb movie. Which is fine really. It's still a lot of fun in some regards, but it's a step down from the first film.

As for the films on BD, I'd like them to put out some DECENT EXTRAS! I mean "Buckaroo Banzai" got a DVD release that was frickin' loaded to the brim with extras. But maybe one in a hundred people on the average have even heard of "Buckaroo Banzai". Bill & Ted made a substantially larger pop culture splash--enough to have 2 TV spin-offs, and featuring an actor who would become a major A-lister. How come we can't get an audio commentary or some deleted scenes? Maybe a 5-minute tribute featurette for George Carlin?

JohnnyMovie
09-03-12, 11:34 PM
Party on!

:lol:

PatD
09-04-12, 08:47 PM
Apparently it will be released on November 13th. Bodacious!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bill-and-Teds-Excellent-Adventure-Blu-ray/44859/

RobLutter
09-05-12, 06:27 AM
They need to do an Ultimate Bill & Ted boxset with the movies, cartoon, and even the horrible TV show (hey, that's 7 episodes... 1 disc!).

I know that I and... at least Matthew Chmiel would buy that. That's two sales!

rednowgreen
09-05-12, 07:39 AM
http://www.foxconnect.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/600x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/M/1/M128492-43323-20120905.jpg

The Original Bill & Ted: In Conversation with Chris & Ed
Air Guitar Tutorial With Bjorn Turoque & The Rockness Monster
One Sweet and Sour Chinese Adventure To Go
Radio Spots
Theatrical Trailer

Audio: English: 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, Spanish: 5.1 Dolby Digital, French: 5.1 Dolby Digital
Language: Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Theatrical Aspect Ratio: Widescreen: 2.35:1

bookcase3
09-05-12, 10:31 AM
I enjoy this movie, but I like the sequel better.

RobLutter
09-05-12, 11:29 AM
http://www.foxconnect.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/600x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/M/1/M128492-43323-20120905.jpg
So lemme get this straight... Alex Winter has billing over George Carlin? :)

You literally could not put those names in any more wrong of an order on that cover, lol. Needless to say, it's still better than the godawful DVD cover.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
09-05-12, 11:57 AM
So lemme get this straight... Alex Winter has billing over George Carlin? :)

You literally could not put those names in any more wrong of an order on that cover, lol. Needless to say, it's still better than the godawful DVD cover.

Reeves and Winter are the leads and the title characters. It makes sense to me. Just because Carlin is a bigger name doesn't mean he should get top billing in a movie where he's a supporting character.

Matthew Chmiel
09-05-12, 12:31 PM
That artwork sucks.
Where's Bogus? Christ, give it to me as a retail exclusive. I'll walk into a Best Buy if I have to.

Drexl
09-05-12, 12:39 PM
Reeves and Winter are the leads and the title characters. It makes sense to me. Just because Carlin is a bigger name doesn't mean he should get top billing in a movie where he's a supporting character.

Don't they still have to respect the original billing order? I'm not sure if that applies indefinitely to all movies, or if it depends on contracts in only certain cases. Although, none of them got their names above the title originally (or even prominently on the poster).

RobLutter
09-05-12, 12:40 PM
Marlon Brando was billed above Christopher Reeve in Superman (as was Gene Hackman)...Brando had possibly got less screen time than Carlin does in this film... but I digress. Contracts and Hollywood.

Jez, did I just compare this film to Superman?

RobLutter
09-05-12, 12:43 PM
Don't they still have to respect the original billing order? I'm not sure if that applies indefinitely to all movies, or if it depends on contracts in only certain cases. Although, none of them got their names above the title originally (or even prominently on the poster).
The theatrical one-sheet has the same order.
http://www.mikethefanboy.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/bill-and-ted.jpg
You might have to squint. :) None of them have top billing however.

Carlin's head IS bigger than theirs on the one-sheet though! ;)

fumanstan
09-05-12, 01:36 PM
I'd say Keanu is a more recognizable name right now then Carlin anyway.

Schloob1
09-05-12, 01:47 PM
I'd say Keanu is a more recognizable name right now then Carlin anyway.

:thmbsdwn: Maybe for the "kiddies" out there, almost 40 now and I was raised on 2 of the greatest comedians ever in my book. Carlin and Cosby

fumanstan
09-05-12, 02:30 PM
:thmbsdwn: Maybe for the "kiddies" out there, almost 40 now and I was raised on 2 of the greatest comedians ever in my book. Carlin and Cosby

If you say so, i'm not so sure that even many non-kiddies were raised on Carlin like you though. Let alone enough so to make him more recognizable then Keanu being in all those big movies :shrug:

Spiderbite
09-05-12, 02:37 PM
That artwork sucks.
Where's Bogus? Christ, give it to me as a retail exclusive. I'll walk into a Best Buy if I have to.

I was given Bogus in a Pizza Hut giveaway years ago (remember that?) and still have yet to watch it. Bogus is so awful in comparison to the first one. It's a tough watch. The only way I could see anyone liking Bogus over Excellent is from nostalgia as a kid. I saw both at the theater when they were released and the disappointment for Bogus was huge.

What I was most surprised about was when I read a short interview with Keanu Reeves the other day (I think it was maybe EW). They asked him what he had been up to lately since it seems he has dropped out of sight. He mentioned that he was really trying to get a new Bill & Ted sequel greenlit. I figured Alex Winters would be desperate for this but was really surprised Reeves even cares.

And to the poster who mentioned a set with both movies, the cartoons, & the TV show...Excellent!!! :up:

Matthew Chmiel
09-05-12, 03:03 PM
I was given Bogus in a Pizza Hut giveaway years ago (remember that?) and still have yet to watch it. Bogus is so awful in comparison to the first one. It's a tough watch. The only way I could see anyone liking Bogus over Excellent is from nostalgia as a kid. I saw both at the theater when they were released and the disappointment for Bogus was huge.
I think the last time I put my DVDs in were when MGM originally released them. I think I had them on pre-order from DVD Empire or Deep Discount DVD. :lol:

But even then, I thought Bogus was better than Excellent. Even if it has a lack of Diane Franklin.

Shannon Nutt
09-05-12, 03:15 PM
I enjoy this movie, but I like the sequel better.

I'm fond of the original...which was really released under the radar and was never a huge hit in theaters. I really only knew about the movie from reading about it in STARLOG. The second movie opened bigger, but flopped quickly, if memory serves. But I DO like the fact that the sequel is significantly different than the original. They didn't try to repeat themselves.

RobLutter
09-05-12, 03:34 PM
The thing about Bogus is that William Sadler as the Grim Reaper is fucking inspired.

fumanstan
09-05-12, 03:59 PM
The Grim Reaper was the best part of Bogus, but I thought Excellent Adventure was better by far. I'd buy both though.

RobLutter
09-05-12, 04:06 PM
The Grim Reaper was the best part of Bogus, but I thought Excellent Adventure was better by far. I'd buy both though.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6fmmemGBp1qg39ewo1_500.gif

BuckNaked2k
09-05-12, 04:31 PM
I've seen both, but can't for the life of me recall anything about Bogus.

BuckNaked2k
09-05-12, 04:35 PM
What I was most surprised about was when I read a short interview with Keanu Reeves the other day (I think it was maybe EW). They asked him what he had been up to lately since it seems he has dropped out of sight. He mentioned that he was really trying to get a new Bill & Ted sequel greenlit. I figured Alex Winters would be desperate for this but was really surprised Reeves even cares.I guess the rumors of Keanu playing Spike in a live action Cowboy Bebop were unfounded. :(

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/www.ign.com/5135/2011/02/58780-keanu_super.jpg

Spiderbite
09-05-12, 04:39 PM
Please tell me that is a photoshopped picture.

Josh Z
09-06-12, 02:12 PM
Please tell me that is a photoshopped picture.

If I'm not mistaken, it's a still from Constantine with the hair photoshopped.

Struckworld
09-09-12, 08:00 PM
Yes!! Can't wait!

Schloob1
09-10-12, 01:12 PM

"Best 3 out of 5." "Best 4 out of 7." That's the one sequence in particular that sticks out in my mind that I recall/enjoyed. Otherwise Bogus was not as enjoyable/memorable for me as the 1st one was.

riotinmyskull
09-10-12, 01:58 PM

station? robot bill and ted? plenty of awesome in bogus

Shannon Nutt
09-10-12, 03:14 PM
I wish the producers could have used the original title they wanted for BOGUS:

"Bill & Ted Go To Hell" :)

But the studio didn't like it and the producers figured since they only spend a portion of the movie there, it wasn't really accurate either.

LosingMyMind
09-10-12, 08:54 PM
I wish the producers could have used the original title they wanted for BOGUS:

"Bill & Ted Go To Hell" :)

But the studio didn't like it and the producers figured since they only spend a portion of the movie there, it wasn't really accurate either.
That's no excuse. Look at Jason Takes Manhattan.

Drop
09-11-12, 05:24 PM
Count me in the Bogus over Excellent group. I think it's damn remarkable that they did something very original for film sequel that could have made just as much money, if not more, by being a total retread of the first film. It's just a more memorable film to me than the original. But I get why people like Excellent Adventure more, it's a time travel movie and Bogus Journey is not.