Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Playstation 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-00, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you guys think of this as a DVD player? Can it perform up to the quality of a normal DVD player and does it have the same features?

------------------
The Film Hobbit
Movies - Reviews - Madness

http://filmhobbit.batcave.net
Old 10-17-00, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by FilmHobbit:
What do you guys think of this as a DVD player? Can it perform up to the quality of a normal DVD player and does it have the same features?

<HR>

Considering it won't be available until next week I don't think any one will know until then. The playback on the Japanese model is not that great but acceptable. Their are rumours that Sony is going to incorporate hardware decoding as well as the DVD drivers in the console. The Japanese unit comes with drivers on the memory card and uses sofware /processor decoding. If the US model performs comparably to a stand alone player in the same price range then it will be worth getting WRT DVD playback. Personally I am buying it as a games machine. The DVD playback is just a bonus. And by the way if you have not already pre-ordered one then you more then likely will have to wait a while to get one as they are going to be in short supply.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 10-17-00, 10:19 PM

Not too long..november 26th it comes out..you should be able to pick one up early January - only a month. If you want one that is, as of now I don't see much software I'd like to play so PS2 is a no go for me...
Old 10-17-00, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Current reviews which I have read rate this player among the mid-level players on the market!! Remember...this is Sony!!! They have been putting out one of the best players since dvd came to life...

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 10-18-00, 05:09 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by djones6746:
Current reviews which I have read rate this player among the mid-level players on the market!! Remember...this is Sony!!! They have been putting out one of the best players since dvd came to life...

<HR>

I already responded to this in one of the other PS2 threads. It is not, I repeat, it is not as good as a regular DVD player Sony or otherwise. I have seen the playback on the Japanese model and it is acceptable but not on par with a stand alone player. My Sony DVP-S300 does a better job. It does not have hardware decoding. Of course this might change in the US model but it is highly unlikely. If the DVD playback is important I would wait for some reviews. Although it is possible I don't think it is going to be good enough to serve as you primary or one and only DVD player. Plus it does not come with a remote and the third party remotes are not as good as the remotes that come with electronic components.

------------------

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 10-18-00, 08:29 AM
Cool New Member

The Us model of the Playstation has hardware encoding. It has been like this for the *Domestic market* since the software encoding on the japanese memory cards kept corrupting and deleting itself. Thus, the one coming ot on Nov 26th , has hardware encoding built in.

Yeah, i have one on pre-order since january, so i better get mine.

Or Else..........

------------------
To be the best, you gotta to know know the rest.
Old 10-18-00, 10:57 AM

Yes, I am getting tired of hearing everyone using the performance of the Japanese model as a compare point...

The DVD playback on the US version is totally different and supposed to be a lot better, so how the Japanese version looks really has nothing to do with anything.

------------------
The Film Hobbit

Old 10-18-00, 02:51 PM

Why is everyone saying it comes out NOVEMBER 26th??? Its coming OCTOBER 26th!!! And the US DVD player will be a decent player especially concidering everything you're getting for $299. I'm sure that price will be down to $249 early 2001.
Old 10-18-00, 04:17 PM
Cool New Member

My fault on my post, it is Oct 26th, My brain hurts.

Darn it.
:0

------------------
To be the best, you gotta to know the rest.
Old 10-19-00, 04:26 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by kmitchell27:
The Us model of the Playstation has hardware encoding. It has been like this for the *Domestic market* since the software encoding on the japanese memory cards kept corrupting and deleting itself. Thus, the one coming ot on Nov 26th , has hardware encoding built in.

Yeah, i have one on pre-order since january, so i better get mine.

Or Else..........

<HR>

One more time. The US model does not, I repeat, does not not have hardware decoding (it's not encoding by the way). It merely has the software drivers built in to the unit itself probably in the form of ROM. This is not the same as hardware decoding. I am not sure where everyone is getting the idea that it has hardware decoding.

------------------

Old 10-19-00, 10:41 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by cloud:
One more time. The US model does not, I repeat, does not not have hardware decoding (it's not encoding by the way). It merely has the software drivers built in to the unit itself probably in the form of ROM. This is not the same as hardware decoding. I am not sure where everyone is getting the idea that it has hardware decoding.

<HR>

Because that is what Sony is saying. Can we at least all agree that the US DVD player on it will be different from the Japanese one?

------------------
The Film Hobbit

Old 10-19-00, 06:40 PM

I would not keep on harping on about it if everyone did not assume that Sony had included hardware decoding for a fact. No where at any time has Sony or anyone else in the industry stated this to be the case. Plus regardless of whether it is true or not does not change things. I just wish people waited until the system came out and had had a chance to give it a fair go instead of making assumptions about the DVD playback and the quality of the games amongst other things.

------------------

Old 10-19-00, 11:50 PM
Cool New Member

Hi

Do you know where I could order Playstation 2?

Thanks!!!

------------------
//// | [email protected]
~OżO~ |
Old 10-20-00, 12:25 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Vico:
Hi

Do you know where I could order Playstation 2?

Thanks!!!

<HR>

You can order one pretty much anywhere - ebworld.com, toysrus.com, kbkids.com, local retail stores like Electronics Boutique, Software Etc., Babbages, Toys R US, KB Toys etc. THe only thing is if you have not already pre-ordered and in many cases even if you have pre-ordered you are not going to get the system any time soon. Expect a long wait as Sony has cut the number of units available at launch by half to 500,000 and the supply is not going to meet the demand.

------------------

Old 10-20-00, 11:05 AM

The PS2 Hardware thing is not an assumption. I've read it in several reputable magazines, one of which even included an interview with a PS2 exec who said something to that effect. I'd go find it and tell you where to find it, but I'm to lazy and don't care enough, hehe.

------------------
The Film Hobbit

Old 10-20-00, 11:03 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by FilmHobbit:
The PS2 Hardware thing is not an assumption. I've read it in several reputable magazines, one of which even included an interview with a PS2 exec who said something to that effect. I'd go find it and tell you where to find it, but I'm to lazy and don't care enough, hehe.

<HR>

Whatever you say. I am not going to argue with you on this as it is obviously futile. I read allthe major magazines and online sites on a regular basis and not once have I read anything regarding hardware decoding. As I have said before and this is the last time, people are confusing the fact that the DVD drivers are now in the console with hardware decoding. As the saying goes the proof is in the pudding. I will wait until next week when the system is launched to determine whether it has hardware decoding and also how good the DVD playback is. I think if this was actually true then Sony would have made a big thing about it as it would only add to the systems appeal.

------------------