DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park DVD

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 05:47 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park DVD

Hi everyone, new member here.

I spent some time reading through other threads, and I think I'm posting this in the right place, but if I'm not just tell me so I'll know for next time.

Reason I'm posting this is that I recently purchased(on ebay) a copy of "KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park" on DVD, the one released by Cheezy Flicks. I know that the DVD was discontinued because of legal issues shortly after it's release.

Does anyone happen to have a copy of this DVD? Mine seems suspiciously like a bootleg, i.e. it's printed on a DVD-R, the label is obviously printed rather than silk-screened, the insert is of poor quality, etc.

Was hoping someone else might have it on DVD and that they could tell me if this is typical of the release. I know "Cheezy Flicks" is kind of a sketchy company, but geez, this looks like I could have done it on a bad day. I know this was sold on Amazon at one time, which is why I'm surprised at the low quality/thinking it might be a bootleg.
Old 08-22-12, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts
Re: KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park DVD

ALL Cheezy Flicks releases are bootlegs. End of story.
Old 08-22-12, 06:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The movie can also be found on Kiss: Kissology Volume II 1978-1991. Not sure of the quality but it does have additional scenes.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (01-19-22)
Old 08-22-12, 07:09 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I did know that the movie is on Kissology volume 2, unfortunately I didn't find out until after I bought the stand-alone DVD on ebay.

I was pretty sure that Cheezy Flicks is just a glorified bootlegging company. But does the quality that I described seem consistent with your experience? This is literally like a grade-z bootleg. Horrible printing on the disc(not silk-screened) and cover, as well as the cheapest DVD title screen I've ever seen. My dog could probably do a better job putting a bootleg together.
Old 08-23-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

The cheezy flicks version was a pressed disc.. Not DVD-R... And is as broadcast on TV..... The version on Kissology is the movie version originally released in Europe... With different scenes.. And the backgeoind muaic isnt the 70s jazz but actually from the Kiss solo albums... the completist would require both versions for their collection.
The Valeyard (02-18-22)
Old 08-23-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I have both versions, and yeah, they're different. I mean the Kissology version is anamorphic Widescreen while the Cheezy Flicks version is 4X3.

Make no mistake, the Cheezy Flicks version is just a cheap bootleg, but it is a pressed disc. But the cover art and disc art are cheap.
Old 08-23-12, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree the Cheezy Flicks version is a cheap bootleg ... it does sound like the OP has an actual bootleg..

Originally Posted by shredking9000
Mine seems suspiciously like a bootleg, i.e. it's printed on a DVD-R, the label is obviously printed rather than silk-screened, the insert is of poor quality, etc.
and the Kissology version isn't just anamorphic Widescreen... it is a totally different cut of the film.. contains hardly any of Ace Frehley's lines ... with a completely different soundtrack..

and I like both versions.. but the Cheezy Flicks version is what I saw on TV in the 70s... yet.. I enjoy the European version as it has a much different flavor ...
John Pannozzi (01-19-22)
Old 08-23-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's a pretty good comparison of the 2 versions.. enjoy..

http://home.netcom.com/~zmoq/pages/KissPhantom.htm
John Pannozzi (01-19-22)
Old 08-25-12, 12:20 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looking into a little more, I think I have a bootleg of the cheezy flicks bootleg. It plays fine though, so I guess I'll keep it, but it is a burned DVD-R.

In the future I'll prolly get a copy of KISSology vol 2, just to watch for the differences and to have an official copy.
Old 01-17-22, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by b2net
Here's a pretty good comparison of the 2 versions.. enjoy..

http://home.netcom.com/~zmoq/pages/KissPhantom.htm
Yep. An almost 10 year bump of the thread. I wish I would have made a PDF or something of the full comparison as this link goes nowhere now. Can't find a good full comparison of the 2 versions.

In my Google searches, it led me back to our forum and that post in this thread. Ha !
Old 01-17-22, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Yep. An almost 10 year bump of the thread. I wish I would have made a PDF or something of the full comparison as this link goes nowhere now. Can't find a good full comparison of the 2 versions.

In my Google searches, it led me back to our forum and that post in this thread. Ha !
Pictures are lost, but you can read the differences in the text descriptions here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150331...issPhantom.htm
Old 01-17-22, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
Pictures are lost, but you can read the differences in the text descriptions here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150331...issPhantom.htm
Awesome. Thank you.
Old 01-18-22, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I would think that the original broadcast version would have made its way onto Youtube by now. It's basically abandonware, but Gene and Paul are probably don't want it on Youtube, anyway.
Old 01-18-22, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unlike the Star Wars Holiday Special, the Fantastic Four 1990s movie, etc, this is not readily available via streaming.

The Cheesy Flicks DVD is/was the best release available for the broadcast version. The Kissology Volume 2 version is/was the only Home Video release of the movie version.

Both are long out of print and expensive to procure. There are bootleg copies available via eBay and other sites. Quality of those bootlegs is a gamble.

I was just discussing the movie with my adult son based on Foo Fighters new movie and mentioned the differences between the Kiss movie versions. Which led me to go back and look at the list of differences again.

So now to watch them both again. Ah the memories of first seeing this in 1978 when it was broadcast. Super hero rock stars with Super Powers fighting evil robots and electronically controlled people. My young 8 year old mind was blown. Now I just consider them a cheesy Scooby Doo type live action tale.
Old 01-18-22, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Wow, those Kissology sets are going for tons of money now. Glad I got the first 2 when they were out. Incidentally in relation to my infamous thread, I once had a chance to get the Phantom of the Park laserdisc at Camelot Music for $15 and passed on it. Have been kicking myself ever since. I got the Goodtimes VHS later which is crappy quality in LP speed.
Old 01-18-22, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I forgot about the Laserdisc.
Old 01-18-22, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Hopefully whoever bought the one I passed up hasn't.