Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

THE DOORS: "Live at the Bowl '68'" (Blu-ray) -10/23/12

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-21-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts

'The Doors: Live at the Bowl '68' Announced for Blu-ray

The historic Doors' concert gets remastered for Blu-ray this October.
In an early announcement to retailers, Eagle Rock Entertainment is prepping 'The Doors: Live at the Bowl '68' for a high-definition release on October 23.

The Doors supplied plenty of post-Independence Day fireworks on July 5, 1968 when the legendary quartet played the Hollywood Bowl, a concert that is considered to be the band’s finest on film. For the first time, the film from the historic performance has been painstakingly restored using the original camera negatives and the audio has been remixed and mastered from original multi-tracks by the group’s engineer Bruce Botnick. This new restoration offers a stunning visual upgrade from earlier versions and will give fans the closest experience to being there live along side Jim Morrison, John Densmore, Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek, who opined, “You can hear it as if you were at the Hollywood Bowl, on stage with us.”

Live at the Bowl ’68' will include three previously unreleased tracks from the performance. Technical issues with the recording of “Hello, I Love You,” “The WASP (Texas Radio And The Big Beat),” and “Spanish Caravan” prevented them from being released in the past. Now, through meticulous restoration of the audio, all three will be included, marking the first time the concert has been available in its entirety.

The DVD, Blu-Ray and digital video each feature a 16x9 high-definition digital transfer with both a stereo and 5.1 audio soundtrack as well as over an hour of bonus material. Included in the additional content are “Echoes From The Bowl,” The Doors’ route to the Hollywood Bowl; “You Had To Be There,” memories of The Doors’ performance at the Bowl; “Reworking The Doors,” an in-depth look at how the film was restored; and three bonus performances: “Wild Child” from The Smothers Brothers Show in 1968, “Light My Fire” from The Jonathan Winters Show in December 1967 and a version of Van Morrison’s “Gloria” with specially created visuals.

Jeff Jampol, Doors manager and producer of the film said “The Doors’ live performances were a shamanistic journey into dark rock and roll psychedelic theater – a swirling mixture of rock ‘n’ roll heat, poetry, danger, drama and unbridled musical virtuosity. Captured at the height of The Doors’ magical powers, in one of the world’s greatest venues, this brand new restoration, edit and mix, corny as it may sound, made me fall in love a hundred times, all over again.”

Geoff Kempin, executive producer for Eagle Rock said “The Doors were one of THE most incredible live bands ever – we wanted to apply the top technology so that everyone can fully appreciate the phenomenon of The Doors captured at their height on 5 July 1968”.
Track Listing:

1. Show Start/Intro
2. “When The Music’s Over”
3. “Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)”
4. “Back Door Man”
5. “Five To One”
6. “Back Door Man” (Reprise)
7. “The WASP (Texas Radio And The Big Beat)”
8. “Hello, I Love You”
9. “Moonlight Drive”
10. “Horse Latitudes”
11. “A Little Game”
12. “The Hill Dwellers”
13. “Spanish Caravan”
14. Hey, What Would You Guys Like To Hear?
15. “Wake Up!”
16. Light My Fire (Segue)
17. “Light My Fire”
18. “The Unknown Soldier”
19. The End (Segue)
20. “The End”

Suggested list price for the Blu-ray is $19.98.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...Blu-ray_/10030
Old 08-22-12, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: THE DOORS: "Live at the Bowl '68'" (Blu-ray) -10/23/12

It's about time we get some Doors performances in Hi-def! Day one purchase for me.
Old 08-22-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Nice! And should be at a nice price also.
Old 08-25-12, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Nice, this should go along well with Mr. Mojo Risin'.
Old 08-30-12, 02:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the show Harrison Ford worked the lights on I believe, good concert.
Old 09-02-12, 11:57 PM

Very cool, didnt know about this til now. One of the very few VHS that I bought back in the day was this concert. Subsequently bought the DVD, now this is available. Definately a must purchase.
Old 09-20-12, 08:49 AM

Update:

Good News and Bad News,

First the good news, received an email from amazon:

The Doors "Live at the Bowl '68 [Blu-ray]"
Previous estimated arrival date: October 26, 2012 - October 30, 2012
New estimated arrival date: October 25, 2012 - October 29, 2012

Now the bad news, according to news reports, purchases made prior to the sales tax kicking in on amazon, will be charged sales tax WHEN the items are shipped.

Have a fantastic day.
Old 09-28-12, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a pretty "dull" concert, frankly - Jim was stationed at the microphone, and he was no Mick Jagger. He wasn't animated, he was subdued and, I suppose, in awe of where he was, and tried to act respectfully. That's not Jim. That's some imposter - LOL.

I'm excited to see the bonus videos: "Wild Child" on Smothers Brothers and "Light My Fire" on the Jonathon Winters show - I believe Jim goes crazy in that one, and crashes into John Densmore's drumset during the performance (the REAL Jim!!)
Old 10-02-12, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
It was a pretty "dull" concert, frankly - Jim was stationed at the microphone, and he was no Mick Jagger. He wasn't animated, he was subdued and, I suppose, in awe of where he was, and tried to act respectfully. That's not Jim. That's some imposter - LOL.

I'm excited to see the bonus videos: "Wild Child" on Smothers Brothers and "Light My Fire" on the Jonathon Winters show - I believe Jim goes crazy in that one, and crashes into John Densmore's drumset during the performance (the REAL Jim!!)
If you ever read the book No one here gets out alive, it was by design that Jim was on his best behavior and "subdued" because the concert was being filmed. In fact he didn't drink for a day or two to be ready for this concert, he wanted everything to go perfect. If you listen to some of their other live performances that were'nt filmed, well yeah, a totally different Jim Morrison, in fact you might know this, he was arrested on stage once. I wish some of those other live performances were filmed, wouldve loved to see Light my Fire, from Alive She Cried.

ditto on the bonus stuff, more excited to see that!
Old 10-03-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WOODPRODUCTIONS
If you ever read the book No one here gets out alive, it was by design that Jim was on his best behavior and "subdued" because the concert was being filmed. In fact he didn't drink for a day or two to be ready for this concert, he wanted everything to go perfect.
Now that you said it, I do recall something to that effect. It's been years since I've read the book (it's the best book on Jim & The Doors, and there have been many books - it was the first and it's still the best).
Old 10-06-12, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Now that you said it, I do recall something to that effect. It's been years since I've read the book (it's the best book on Jim & The Doors, and there have been many books - it was the first and it's still the best).
Concur.

I've also read Densmores Riders on the Storm: My Life with Jim Morrison and the Doors.Want to read Rays book too, havent got around to it.
Old 12-08-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

VH1 Classic is airing this tonight at 8:00 pm Eastern, with a repeat airing at 11:30 pm Eastern. It's part
of their "Day of the Doors" promotion in commemoration of Jim Morrison's birthday. Had he lived, he would have turned 69 today.