Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Want to upgrade my DVD player, any suggestions/opinions?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Want to upgrade my DVD player, any suggestions/opinions?

Old 10-15-00, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to upgrade my current DVD player, its a 6-disc toshiba 4109. I'm actually looking for a single disc player, dont really like the carousel loader. Anyway, I was looking at the Pioneer Elite DV-37 and it looks like a great player. My question is I wont benefit from a progressive scan player because I just got a wega 32FV26. I dont plan to have a HD-ready TV for at least a couple years and by then I will probably get another player (and I'm assuming by then progressive scan will be pretty standard). So, does spending $700 on a DV-37 sound like the right thing to do now or is the money better spent on another player? Like I said in the beginning, I'm looking for a solid single disc player.

------------------
My DVD list

MY Setup
Old 10-16-00, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you can't use progressive scan and don't want to spend the $$ for it why do you want to upgrade? I think the Pioneer DV-37 was in Best Buys Sunday ad for around $400 but I think there are some problems with the player. Save your money and upgrade in another year or two when better features become available.
Old 10-16-00, 11:00 AM

if you do a search on mysimon.com you can find the sony 7700, new, for around $500-$550

That's what i'd do... either that or spend $200 and get a panasonic rv30.. great picture and sound, and dirt cheap
Old 10-16-00, 06:11 PM

bmello,
I want to upgrade because I dont like the carousel changer I have now, and spending the money is not the problem, I'll spend $700 on a player. My concern is would the money be spent on another player since I dont need progressive scan.
Old 10-16-00, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If your TV doesn't support a progressive scan player and you're not going to upgrade your TV for a few years then I wouldn't buy one. Buy the latest and greatest DVD player in a few years when you upgrade your TV. For now, you can buy almost any single disc player you want for $700 but spending $700 doesn't make sense when you can get all you need for under $300 max. But like you said, money is not a problem for you.
Old 10-19-00, 11:54 PM

bmello, in your reference to BestBuy, I think you're confusing the $1000 MSRP Pioneer Elite DV-37 with the $450 MSRP Pioneer (Non-Elite) DV-434, which has been flogged on these forums for not being "true progressive". I'm quite confident that BB is not now, and never will be, authorized to carry the Elite line. My advice is to make sure you don't get caught standing between the DVD Forum gang and any store that is really selling the DV-37 for $400
Old 10-20-00, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're correct BrianMc! That is why I originally said I thought it was the DV-37 on sale at BestBuy but couldn't confirm that because I threw away the ad. I realize the DV-434 has been bashed for not being true progressive and wouldn't buy one. Thanks for the correction.
Old 10-20-00, 05:06 PM

Over on Home Theater Forum there's a review by Robert George of the new Panasonic RV80 in which he states that it produces the best interlaced picture of any player he's seen.

One thing he notes is that it has 54mhz 4X oversampling for the D/A conversion, which is common on some of the progressive scan players, but not on interlaced models. I think it's important if you're going to spend $700 on a new player that you get the latest technology. No knock against the Sony 7700 or other higher end interlaced players, but some have been around for awhile and technology is changing pretty fast.

You might see some advantage of using a progressive player like the DV37 just because it's likely to have the latest technology. However if a player like the Panasonic RV80 is available for less you might get the same benefit by going with it.

The interlaced output on my Tosh 6200 is noticably better than my older Tosh 3109. I think if you upgrade to either the Panasonic or the 6200 or DV37 you will see an improvement.

You can see the review of the RV80 at: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/027890.html