Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Toshiba Colorsteam question?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Toshiba Colorsteam question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-00, 10:40 PM
~M~

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought the Toshiba 32A40 tv which has component video in. I also have a Toshiba 2109 DVD player. Previous, I've been using composite video out on the DVD. Now w/ the 32A40 I can use component video.

The problem I have with this setup is I cannot tell much difference between composite & component video. I have both outputs of the DVD player going into the TV and switch between them. The is not much of a difference. What I can tell is that the component has a bit richer color(and I mean a bit).

I thought the picture would be sharper but I cannot tell any difference.

I am using Gold RCA cables from Radio Shack. I've searched the forum and could not find an answer. Is there someone out there that does?

One confused Toshiba owner
~M~
Old 10-20-00, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Toshiba 65" HDTV & Toshiba progressive-scan player & I use the Colorstream, but I'm also using the progressive-out. Maybe there's not a huge difference in the 2 that you're trying, but if you have progressive capablility you'll notice a big difference (actually maybe you won't, the difference might be more noticable on a big 16x9 set). Either way, I'd say you're getting the best picture from the component & when you get a 16x9 set eventually you'll probably notice more of a difference. I could never see the difference between anamorphic & non-anamorphic until I got the 16x9 set.
Old 10-20-00, 10:52 AM

I have a Toshiba 2109 and a Toshiba 27inch w/component video (can't remember the model number though). When I made the switch I noticed a slight difference, but I could not expect too much. The picture went from very good with composite to perfect with component. There was not much of a difference but I do notice that the picture is absolutely flawless now where I could nit pick a little with composite. The truth is that unless you have a rear projection tv you will not notice a big difference. It is not that big of a problem in your case since you you are using the same cables for both connections. I have been curious about the difference in looks is and guess I will do what you tried to find out for myself.
Old 10-20-00, 04:36 PM

One immediate and obvious difference you'll see between a composite source and a 'separate' source, whether s-video or component, is the absence of dot crawl.

Freeze an image that has solid reds against another color and look at where they meet. from your composite source there will be dots moving around. When I became aware of this years ago I've noticed it on everything I've seen until last year when I got my dvd player and tv w/s-video connectors. This is an 'artifact' of the composite video encoding.
Old 10-20-00, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Perhaps your eyes aren't as keen as mine, but on my 20" Wega and my parents 27" Philips set, i notice a tremendous difference between Composite and S-video so you should undoubtedly notice a difference between component and composite. I found the most noticeable difference is in the setup menus for DVD players and things such as Program guides for DBS recievers. Tremendous difference in sharpness, color seperation, and color bleeding or lack there of.

------------------
Dave My DVDs(Not updated anymore since DVD Tracker uncooly started charging). My Humble Home Theatre