Search this Thread

Old 08-19-12, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
The Newsroom -- "The Blackout Part II: Mock Debate" -- 8/19/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The "News Night" staff host a mock debate for two Republican Party officials; a power outage energizes Mac's thought process; Charlie evaluates an intelligence-agency insider's reliability; Lisa does an on-air interview; Neal poses as an Internet troll.

Episode 9 of 10

Promo:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1273814"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Ep. 9: Preview&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1273814%26filter%3Dthe-newsroom%26view%3Dnull"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1273814" FlashVars="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Ep. 9: Preview&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1273814%26filter%3Dthe-newsroom%26view%3Dnull" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="288"></embed></object>

Hard to believe it's almost over.
Old 08-19-12, 08:33 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: The Newsroom -- "The Blackout Part II: Mock Debate" -- 8/19/12

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dNHb3lZobt0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-20-12, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loved this episode, and not only that, I'm one of the few that has stuck with this show from the beginning and loved them all. I wish next Sunday could come faster. The use of "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" might have been reminiscent of the end of the third epsiode of "Studio 60", but I didn't care. I thought both sequences used the song well.
Old 08-20-12, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Mac....oh my goodness...someone give her a vacation. Best line was "Re-edit my wikipedia page!"
Old 08-20-12, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Yeah, Mac really is unraveling. I loved the power coming back on at the end of her big speech.

Really good episode--surprisingly I thought the Jim/Lisa/Maggie/Don stuff was very well done, and that storyline has annoyed me in the past.

Of course, we knew they wouldn't get the debate because, well... it didn't happen in real life and there's no way they were going to be able to film a fake ACN debate with all those candidates.

Like most episodes, there had to be a lame attempt at humor by having a running gag. This time it was Will's pants. That was pathetic.

The development at the end in Neal's trolling endeavor is interesting. Can't wait to see where that leads.
Old 08-20-12, 03:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think I'll ever forgive Aaron Sorkin for making me a fan of Olivia Munn.

I liked Lisa on the show, she's a character worth keeping around. More than Maggie, honestly.
Old 08-20-12, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I don't think I'll ever forgive Aaron Sorkin for making me a fan of Olivia Munn.
She's had a few missteps since leaving AOTS, but I think her role here should be getting her some favorable attention in Hollywood.
Old 08-20-12, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish one of these days we could have a debate like Sorkin portrayed. To put that against what actually did occur with a CNN debate just asking Elvis or John Denver (whoever it was) I was like "That was actually a question in one of the debates?"
Old 08-20-12, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Olivia Munn is spectacular in this show. #ThingsINeverThoughtIdSay
Old 08-20-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

"y u so agro?" (or something like that)

Didn't know that's how people talk on the internet. The troll storyline still has me laughing.
Old 08-20-12, 11:22 AM

That scene of Jim and Maggie at Lisa's shop wouldn't end.
Old 08-20-12, 11:34 AM

And speaking of the shop...how about Will emerging from a steam fog in the distance to see her vandalized shop?
Old 08-20-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
I wish one of these days we could have a debate like Sorkin portrayed. To put that against what actually did occur with a CNN debate just asking Elvis or John Denver (whoever it was) I was like "That was actually a question in one of the debates?"
I thought the same thing. Things like that makes it hard to believe how America is still standing (I guess it isn't in many ways).
Fucking embarrasing.

Great episode. And yeah Munn is surprisingly great every week.
Old 08-20-12, 02:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RUSF18
That scene of Jim and Maggie at Lisa's shop wouldn't end.
Seriously. I cannot stand this Jim/Lisa/Don/Maggie storyline. Don comes off as a shithead, Lisa's put upon, and I can't fathom why anyone wants Maggie at all.
Old 08-20-12, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

It was "Elvis or Johnny Cash" and it was CNN's John King who asked the question...I remember watching the debate.
Old 08-20-12, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Seriously. I cannot stand this Jim/Lisa/Don/Maggie storyline. Don comes off as a shithead, Lisa's put upon, and I can't fathom why anyone wants Maggie at all.
What sucks is that Don really goes back and forth. He was like that at the beginning of the show, and then for a while in the middle there they really started developing him, and then he regressed last night.
Old 08-20-12, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by lordwow
I know, right? But I think it has a lot to do with the characters. I can't stand Munn, but I love Sloan. However, I love Emily Mortimer but I can't stand Mackenzie.
Old 08-20-12, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's not realistic at all to expect one of the parties to agree to that in a year when the person who emerges from the primary season has to face an incumbent. 2008 would have been a perfect time to have that debate. Another thing I'd love to see is a cross-party primary season debate so it's a lot harder for the candidates to sprint out to the fringe only to run back to the middle during general election time.

Depending on the results this fall, maybe 2016 or 2020 would be a good time to debut a decent new debate format. It has to be when both parties are having contested primaries.
Old 08-20-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
It's not realistic at all to expect one of the parties to agree to that in a year when the person who emerges from the primary season has to face an incumbent. 2008 would have been a perfect time to have that debate. Another thing I'd love to see is a cross-party primary season debate so it's a lot harder for the candidates to sprint out to the fringe only to run back to the middle during general election time.

Depending on the results this fall, maybe 2016 or 2020 would be a good time to debut a decent new debate format. It has to be when both parties are having contested primaries.
agreed. Thank you for making sense.
Old 08-20-12, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

2012 would be a good time for a decent new debate format. Good for the country. There's nothing beneficial to the public discourse in hiding the intellectual and idiological flaws of candidates. I liked the episode because it showed why we can't have decent debates. There's huge competition, and news organizations sell their souls (despite trying not to) in order to get them. If everyone said, "No holds barred and if you don't accept that, none of your candidates get on TV," it'd be different. But someone would cave, and that organization would get the debate. So they all cave to varying degrees. It's a sellout, and I'm glad there's a show on TV that says it's a sellout, then shows why.

It's unfortunate the show had to use a RNC debate to present the issue because I think the issue would have been just the same with the DNC. The fact that the RNC was the target in the episode will undoubtedly cloud the overall issue for some.
Old 08-21-12, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But the RNC is always the target in todays media. That's the point. This would never be done for the DNC today. Gonna put yall back in chains.
Old 08-21-12, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Showing the flaws of how news is reported coupled with showing the flaws of the political process, but only for one side, diminishes the show. I guess at the end of the day, you can only write what you know. Perhaps it'd be false equivalency to say, the Republican party does "X," but the Democratic party does "Y." But if you don't at least try to show the foibles of each side, you become somewhat of an entertainment/attack piece, not an entertainment/education one. Purely as a business issue, I'm not sure how Sorkin can justify alienating a significant portion of the possible audience by telling them they sometimes suck without including that people who share his ideology also sometimes suck.

It's difficult for me to take seriously anything addressing political discourse when it's predicated on the foundational belief that one side is almost always right and the other side is almost always wrong.
Old 08-21-12, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lordwow
I know. It makes me so angry. I was quite comfortable disliking her, but now I'm excited every time I see her character.
Old 08-21-12, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It was "Elvis or Johnny Cash" and it was CNN's John King who asked the question...I remember watching the debate.
I wasn't watching it because I had no interest in the Republican debates. I'm waiting for the Presidential ones. But yeah I went "Really CNN, that's a question you asked?"

And I'm a regular CNN watcher. (ducks for potential backlash)
Old 08-21-12, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
But the RNC is always the target in todays media. That's the point. This would never be done for the DNC today. Gonna put yall back in chains.
Well I'd certainly expect it for DNC debates as well. But yeah, the RNC is a prime target. They admittedly decided to pretty much let a bunch of no chancers run against Obama this year and even they've pretty much admitted they were always planning ahead for 2016.

As for Biden's comment, predominantly more intelligent heads were well aware of what he meant by that statement and knew there wasn't anything racial about it. But you go looking for hidden racism, you'll find it to always justify oneself.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.