Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Sly or Arnold (70's-90's)?

OldBoy
08-17-12, 11:39 AM
given EX2, which action star did you more gravitate to and like the movies better? i know we have the much loved Terminator franchise, but remember we also have the original Rocky which given its Oscar status may trump anything Arnold did considering he's never really done drama. not to mention Sly is an amazing writer.

but, given there full bodies of work, which star exceeded your expectations and you watch still to this day?

i think i am going with Sly just because I could watch most of the Rocky movies over and over (now of course the original is a classic, but the following are stupid boxing fun); as well as, any Rambo on any given Sunday. Copland was 1997 and amazing. the Terminator franchise not so much. now, i do love Commando, Predator, Total Recall and Running Man, but as a whole going with Sly.

My likes:
Over the Top
Cobra
Tango and Cash
Death Race 2000
Demolition Man
Cliffhanger
Rocky's
Rambo's
Lock Up (one of my forgotten favorites)
Nighthawks
Copland

islandclaws
08-17-12, 11:43 AM
Ah-nuld.

I've always thought Sly was the better actor, but Arnold was just a fucking force of nature on film. Tough choice, though. They've both great solid resumes.

gryffinmaster
08-17-12, 11:47 AM
Arnold. Predator, Total Recall, and the original Terminator make it an easy choice.

GoldenJCJ
08-17-12, 11:51 AM
Gotta go with Arnold. The dude just made movies that were more fun. Sly wasted most of the 80's trying to keep his two big franchises from dying. Since I never cared for the Rambo movies and the Rocky movies grew stale, I gravitated towards Arnold's kick ass action flicks.

Sly is the better actor but he didn't really show off his acting chops in anything beyond the first Rocky until he got to Copland.

SmackDaddy
08-17-12, 12:04 PM
Gotta go with Arnold. The dude just made movies that were more fun. Sly wasted most of the 80's trying to keep his two big franchises from dying. ..., I gravitated towards Arnold's kick ass action flicks.

This.

Sly is the better actor but he didn't really show off his acting chops in anything beyond the first Rocky until he got to Copland.

And this really kills me. Copland is one of my favorite flicks with Sly. I mean he follows it up with voice acting in Antz, Driven and then a string of direct to video junk.

fumanstan
08-17-12, 12:05 PM
Arnold by far.

rexinnih
08-17-12, 12:36 PM
Arnie

RocShemp
08-17-12, 12:43 PM
Ah-nuld.

I've always thought Sly was the better actor, but Arnold was just a fucking force of nature on film. Tough choice, though. They've both great solid resumes.

You summed up my own thoughts on the subject.

Numanoid
08-17-12, 12:48 PM
scott1598 stands alone.

JumpCutz
08-17-12, 01:01 PM
No "neither" option? :sad:

Noonan
08-17-12, 01:06 PM
I think Rocky gives Sly the edge for me. Predator and T2 were better than any Sly action flick but Rocky is timeless.

FantasticVSDoom
08-17-12, 01:11 PM
Yeah another vote for Arnold...

Solid Snake
08-17-12, 01:33 PM
Ah-nuld.

this. So goddamn much of this.

Why So Blu?
08-17-12, 01:39 PM
This.

And this really kills me. Copland is one of my favorite flicks with Sly. I mean he follows it up with voice acting in Antz, Driven and then a string of direct to video junk.

I think Get Carter was after Copland.

Solid Snake
08-17-12, 01:50 PM
You get the fucking point though...let's not bring up the bad times. Let us celebrate the good times.

bunkaroo
08-17-12, 02:39 PM
Arnold and it's not even close.

His 80's work alone is enough.

Terminator, Conan, Commando, Predator, Red Heat, and the Running Man. So much awesome. I even liked Raw Deal quite a but I'm not sure it's on the same level as the others I mentioned.

TimeandTide
08-17-12, 03:07 PM
Arnold and it's not even close.

His 80's work alone is enough.

Terminator, Conan, Commando, Predator, Red Heat, and the Running Man. So much awesome. I even liked Raw Deal quite a but I'm not sure it's on the same level as the others I mentioned.

This.

antspawn
08-17-12, 03:12 PM
i think i am going with Sly just because I could watch most of the Rocky movies over and over (now of course the original is a classic, but the following are stupid boxing fun); as well as, any Rambo on any given Sunday.

I didn't go with sly but I agree with the Rocky & Rambo movies which have amazing replay value.

Shannon Nutt
08-17-12, 03:17 PM
Sorry guys, but Rocky > Terminator. Any Arnold movies win Best Picture? Arnold ever get an Oscar nod? And let's see Arnold write or direct. Sorry, but it's Sly hands-down for me.

Mike86
08-17-12, 03:40 PM
I like both a lot but I can agree with Sly being the better actor but Arnold having more enjoyable movies. Predator, Conan: The Barbarian, Conan: The Destroyer, The Terminator films, Total Recall, and Red Heat are some of his best action films. Plus he also had some comedy films that are kind of guilty pleasure films for me with Kindergarten Cop and Jingle All the Way. Sly mostly had the Rocky and Rambo series, aside from those two franchises I liked Cliffhanger but that's really about all that stick out in my mind.

Noonan
08-17-12, 03:43 PM
How can you forget Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot?

OldBoy
08-17-12, 03:46 PM
wow! didn't think this would be a landslide.

Double_Oh_7
08-17-12, 03:52 PM
It's Arnold for me... just for the pure fun of his films. Sly took himself a little too seriously.

islandclaws
08-17-12, 04:15 PM
Sorry guys, but Rocky > Terminator. Any Arnold movies win Best Picture? Arnold ever get an Oscar nod? And let's see Arnold write or direct. Sorry, but it's Sly hands-down for me.

Clearly, someone has not seen "Christmas in Connecticut".

Arpeggi
08-17-12, 04:23 PM
Arnold easily.

Solid Snake
08-17-12, 04:38 PM
Clearly, someone has not seen "Christmas in Connecticut".

Maybe he shouldn't?

That movie used to be on all the time. As a kid...somehow I convinced myself it was enjoyable enough to watch cuz it was on all the time. I only watched it for Arnold...I fucking hate movie.

RoboDad
08-17-12, 05:17 PM
wow! didn't think this would be a landslide.

I think if you had framed the poll as "which actor was in better movies" you might have gotten some different responses. I mean, let's be honest. Rocky is one of the all-time great movies. How many Arnold movies are in the AFI top 100 list?

But, in terms of movies I have more fun watching, Arnold wins easily.

antspawn
08-17-12, 05:33 PM
I think if you had framed the poll as "which actor was in better movies" you might have gotten some different responses. I mean, let's be honest. Rocky is one of the all-time great movies. How many Arnold movies are in the AFI top 100 list?

:thumbsup:

Mike86
08-17-12, 05:44 PM

But, in terms of movies I have more fun watching, Arnold wins easily.
Really though if you think of it, the first Rocky aside what other movies from Stallone's career would really make a list like an AFI Top 100 or some other list? I mean I do think he's a good actor but he isn't in a bunch of masterpieces or anything either. His career basically consists of action films which he happens to play well.

PenguinJoe
08-17-12, 05:51 PM
Demolition Man should be remade it was a good concept.

Jules Winfield
08-17-12, 06:14 PM
Arnold. But I love me some fucking Cliffhanger.

The Bus
08-17-12, 06:45 PM
Arnold did <b><i>Jingle All the Way</i></b>. My vote is his.

RagingBull80
08-17-12, 07:25 PM
Arnold without a second thought.

wm lopez
08-17-12, 07:54 PM
Which actor has the more movie franchises?
Which actor has the more Oscar nods or wins?
Which actor has the more movie critics rave reviews?
Which actor has had more box-office $$$?
That's your winner.

Ky-Fi
08-17-12, 10:13 PM
Stallone had some flashes of being a serious actor---which Arnold never did---but yeah, Arnold's action movies were generally superior.

RagingBull80
08-17-12, 10:26 PM
That's your winner.

So which one is it?

OldBoy
08-17-12, 10:26 PM
If anyone has SonyHD, Running Man and Red Heat are on late night tonight. I love the former while latter is IMO terrible.

RoboDad
08-18-12, 01:09 AM
Really though if you think of it, the first Rocky aside what other movies from Stallone's career would really make a list like an AFI Top 100 or some other list? I mean I do think he's a good actor but he isn't in a bunch of masterpieces or anything either. His career basically consists of action films which he happens to play well.

Oh, I agree completely. But you can't take Rocky out of the equation. It exists, and it is far better than pretty much anything else either actor has done. But that doesn't take away from my enjoyment of Terminator, Conan, First Blood, or many other of the movies both have made.

FRwL
08-18-12, 02:42 AM
Honestly i mean, even if this was just Conan the Barbarian vs. the best of Stallone i'd choose Conan nevermind the other movies. I just love that movie. That said i highly regard First Blood II after re-viewing it.
Both actors combined it would go: Predator>Conan>First Blood II.

wm lopez
08-18-12, 11:09 AM
So which one is it?

Sly by a armpit.

lamphorn
08-18-12, 12:11 PM
Rocky is beautiful and will always make me tear up... but that's all Sly's got, in my book. He'll be remembered forever for it, and deservedly so. But when I think of Arnold's body of work, compared to Sly's body of work... Arnold wins. The first two Terminators, True Lies, Predator (which is a much better film than it's usually given credit for). Then he even had the balls to go into comedy and pull off a few good vuns. I'm one of those nuts who thinks Last Action Hero was a pretty decent movie and a great satire of his own genre (the fact that it bombed at that time doesn't diminish the work, in my view). Oh yeah, and he was also the fucking Governator. Win!

hasslein
08-18-12, 12:14 PM
Stallone, always liked him better, Lords of Flatbush is another awesome film.

dhmac
08-18-12, 01:23 PM
Arnold, by a country mile. His run from Conan the Barbarian until T2 is pretty damn solid, with only a few clunkers.

On the other hand, Sly has been in more clunkers than good movies.

(And count me as someone who thinks the original Rocky is very overrated. I watched it again for the first time in years recently and now I don't think it's even a good movie. Just a sketchy, underwritten script in which the only unpredictable part was that the underdog lost at the end. How it won the Best Picture Oscar even though every other film it was up against was better is a mystery.)

TheNightFlier
08-18-12, 02:31 PM
Love both of them, but it's Arnold for me.

UAIOE
08-18-12, 10:27 PM
I will say that Sly probably is a better actor, but Ah-nuld had a better screen presence. I mean, "Commando" isn't really that deep or overly special of a movie, but Ah-nuld being in it makes the movie work.

I'm one of those nuts who thinks Last Action Hero was a pretty decent movie and a great satire of his own genre (the fact that it bombed at that time doesn't diminish the work, in my view).

I too enjoy this movie. I admit the thing fell apart when it jumped to the "real world", but that time inside the movie was 100% action movie satire greatness.

wm lopez
08-18-12, 10:38 PM
Arnold, by a country mile. His run from Conan the Barbarian until T2 is pretty damn solid, with only a few clunkers.

On the other hand, Sly has been in more clunkers than good movies.

(And count me as someone who thinks the original Rocky is very overrated. I watched it again for the first time in years recently and now I don't think it's even a good movie. Just a sketchy, underwritten script in which the only unpredictable part was that the underdog lost at the end. How it won the Best Picture Oscar even though every other film it was up against was better is a mystery.)

What you and many don't understand is ROCKY was the 1st movie like that.
All the movies that followed and copied it's story ruins ROCKY the way slasher movies did for HALLOWEEN. You had to see it in 1976 to feel the impact of the movie. Remember they never tried to copy NETWORK or ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN in the years after 1976 but they did ROCKY.

emachine
08-20-12, 01:00 PM
Arnold wins for the original Terminator. However, First Blood is superior to any other Arnie movie, including T2, which is a mediocre sequel to a great movie.

Edit: Forgot about Predator, which I also really enjoy. It's about equal with First Blood.

Jules Winfield
08-20-12, 01:01 PM
All the movies that followed and copied it's story ruins ROCKY the way slasher movies did for HALLOWEEN. You had to see it in 1976 to feel the impact of the movie. Remember they never tried to copy NETWORK or ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN in the years after 1976 but they did ROCKY.

Well, Rocky is a very simple(but effective)and easy story to mimic. Even you could do it!:p

Ash Ketchum
08-20-12, 02:19 PM

Agreed. And I would add that ROCKY came out at a time when critically acclaimed movies were dark and cynical and pessimistic and keyed into the depressing zeitgeist of the time (think TAXI DRIVER, to name one). This was a film that dared to make you feel good and give us an innocent, somewhat naive hero who comes out of nowhere and makes an impact, with a star who'd been doing supporting and bit parts up to that time and had written his own script. Stallone's underdog story underscored that of Rocky.

At the time I preferred movies like NETWORK, ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN and TAXI DRIVER because they fit my own political sensibilities, but ROCKY was kind of a breath of fresh air, even if I knew I was being manipulated.

I give Stallone the edge over Arnold because he created one indelible character, Rocky, and portrayed another, Rambo, who really spoke to whole classes of Americans when they were made. Arnold's Terminator just shot up a lot of people (including cops). Not exactly creating a "character."

Shannon Nutt
08-20-12, 03:28 PM
Can we at least agree on this premise...if it were not for Stallone, there would be no movie career for Arnold? Sly kind of paved the way for action stars being big, bulky and bad-ass. Before then it was more average-looking guys like Eastwood, Bronson, etc.