DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : SNES VS Sega Genesis

mhg83
08-15-12, 07:15 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fb73kHBAirU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think both systems had equal amount of great games. But in terms of 1st party titles Super Nintendo wins. Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid, Kirby, Mario Kart, Star Fox and so on.

Kedrix
08-15-12, 07:38 PM
I have to go both. While I think Sega Genesis had more good games, the SNES had more better quality games. I still have both, but honestly the Genesis does get a little more love.

mugwump
08-15-12, 07:39 PM
Seeing as how I still use my Genesis I'll go with that one. Plus I always hated the SNES controllers.

thematahara
08-15-12, 07:40 PM
I've got to go Genesis. SNES had better graphics, but Genesis didnt have any of the shitty censoring that some of the SNES games had.

I loved my Genesis, so much that at the end of its life it looked like this:
http://videogamecritic.net/images/systems/32x.jpg

The Dude
08-15-12, 08:00 PM
I was a sports game fiend, so the Genesis was the go to console while I was in college (although one of the SNES editions of Street Fighter still holds a small drunken place in my heart for the amount of late night time put into it).

Matthew Chmiel
08-15-12, 08:04 PM
Easily one of the best console wars ever as there were great games on both platforms.

When games were released on both platforms, the Genesis version usually tended to be superior. It also helped that I got to play a plethora of these games through the greatest video game invention known to man... the Sega Channel.

However, Super Nintendo wins for the better quality catalog. SNES had EarthBound, Genesis did not.

mhg83
08-15-12, 08:16 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o_y3waeqxU8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RichC2
08-15-12, 08:27 PM
SNES sucks!! Nintendo censors their games, it's for babies!

I grew up with a Genesis and loved it but always wanted an SNES, much better exclusives.

Tarantino
08-15-12, 08:42 PM
Sega. The only SNES games I missed were Zelda & Mario Kart.

antspawn
08-15-12, 08:50 PM
I would go with Genesis.

The first time I played Altered Beast I couldn't believe the game talked.

Then Ghouls n Ghosts brought a tear to my eye because I loved the arcade so much.

Phantasy Star II had me up so many nights.

Super Nintendo was awesome but to me it was more of flashy graphics. Super Mario World was fun...but it was a show off game.

Actrasier was another show off game with it's music.

Oh and Genesis has Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage II, Revenge of Shinobi, games that no other Super Nintendo game came close!

fujishig
08-15-12, 09:09 PM
I seem to remember the opposite, that the SNES ports were a bit better than the Genesis ones, at least later on. For instance, I think the SNES version of Zombies ate my neighbors was much better. Even the censored version of Street Fighter II I remember being better on the SNES. But each had great libraries.

This may seem like blasphemy, but I thought Phantasy Star was every bit the equal of Final Fantasy. I thought Mario was better than Sonic. I thought that the Genesis had many, many gems like Warsong, Shining Force, Herzog Zwei, Castle of Illusion with Mickey Mouse etc. and some duds like Eternal Champions, Sega CD, etc. But the SNES, along with the brilliant 1st party games, always seemed to have more polished graphics than it's counterpart.

I think we can all agree that they both destroyed the Turbographx 16, though, right? Right? I mean, I loved Nectaris/Military Madness, and I always wanted those CD games like Lunar, etc., but c'mon now. You had to buy an accessory to even connect a second controller!

The Dude
08-15-12, 09:20 PM
Was there a game that definitely flipped the script on Genesis vs. SNES? I seem to remember that it was all Genesis early on (as I mentioned earlier, especially with respect to the sports games), then there was a game that was a disaster on the Sega system and from there they couldn't recover (I seem to remember whatever game it was being a big deal, but now for the life of me I can't remember what it could have been).

bigluelok
08-15-12, 09:26 PM
I still have my geniuses but I love me some Mario world

bluetoast
08-15-12, 09:35 PM
Both. I had a Genesis as a kid, but wished I had my friend's SNES. Well, now I do, it's been "on loan" to me since 2004, and I've been playing Earthbound this summer. But since I owned the Genesis I have a attachment to that as well.

Dubya
08-15-12, 09:39 PM
Sega Genesis - So many hours spent on the EA Sports games during college years.

Matthew Chmiel
08-15-12, 09:58 PM
I seem to remember the opposite, that the SNES ports were a bit better than the Genesis ones, at least later on. For instance, I think the SNES version of Zombies ate my neighbors was much better. Even the censored version of Street Fighter II I remember being better on the SNES. But each had great libraries.
I'll give you Zombies Ate My Neighbors, but I also remember all of the Disney games (like Aladdin and The Lion King) being better on Genesis.

foxdvd
08-15-12, 10:55 PM
I've got to go Genesis. SNES had better graphics, but Genesis didnt have any of the shitty censoring that some of the SNES games had.

I loved my Genesis, so much that at the end of its life it looked like this:
http://videogamecritic.net/images/systems/32x.jpg

mine did as well...but as much as I loved my Genesis...the sns had Final Fantasy, Zelda and Chrono Trigger.

chess
08-15-12, 11:05 PM
Mario World
Zelda Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Mario Kart
Mario All Stars
Kirby
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy Series
Yoshi's Island
DKC

These games all hold up even today. Shining Force is the only Genesis exclusive that fits that mold for me. The Sonic games were impressive at the time but are rubbish now.

Rockmjd23
08-15-12, 11:19 PM
They were hard to compare for me. SNES was my go-to for continuation of franchises I loved on NES, whereas Genesis introduced a slightly more mature brand of gaming. I wouldn't part with either.

It's difficult to compare systems in the context of how well they hold up today because quite frankly most Playstation One games are a blocky jumbled mess to me now and I can't even play them without cringing, but at the time it was amazing.

Gideon68
08-16-12, 12:06 AM
I probably had 4 times as many games on the Genesis than the SNES.

FRwL
08-16-12, 01:42 AM
Genesis ironically because i got into SNES during the 64 days. Sonic & Knuckles was AWESOME. The autumn forest level is still one of the most creative looking levels ever. Could never go past the Marble ruins level. Imagination was everywhere.

SNES obviously had the RPGs though.

JTH182
08-16-12, 03:10 AM
I only ever owned a Genesis (with SegaCD and 32X). Even as a kid I acknowledged the SNES looked and sounded better, but to me it felt like the games were laggier. Especially favorites like Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat. Also, I was huge into the EA Sports games, which played better on the Genesis.

I rented an SNES for a weekend and beat Super Mario World, and ever since that never really felt the need to buy the system.

gmanca
08-16-12, 03:37 AM
Genesis hands down for me; the Yamaha Sound Chip made so many game themes sound as good or better than their arcade versions, like Captain America and the Avengers:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jy0FNi4Ix-E?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jy0FNi4Ix-E?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

A big thing about Genesis for me was that it had arcade ports and Ecco The Dolphin.

brayzie
08-16-12, 05:36 AM
I prefer my old Sega Genesis but the SNES is the better system with the better games. The system itself was superior, right down to the controller having 6 buttons. When Donkey Kong Country and Final Fantasy III came out, it made the Sega Genesis look really bad. DKC looked better than first wave 32-bit Sega Saturn games like Clockwork Knight. Vectorman just couldn't compete, atleast visually.

Sega's aggressive promotion got me to buy the Sega Genesis, and impressive games like Aladdin and later Sonic the Hedgehog 3 got me hooked. I was jealous of my friends SNES when it came to graphics, but the Sega Genesis atleast put up a good fight in that area with the previously mentioned games, and there was always quality games coming out for the system.

riotinmyskull
08-16-12, 05:45 AM
SNES for sure...better exclusives, better graphics, more buttons on the controller...which became very important once all the arcade fighting games started to get ported over (primal rage, killer instinct, mk2, etc.). fortunately i had both consoles though so i didn't miss out :)

DonnachaOne
08-16-12, 05:54 AM
Genesis does what nintendon't.

JTH182
08-16-12, 06:55 AM
Genesis 6 button > SNES controller

vballboy51
08-16-12, 07:29 AM
I think what chess said is correct. What games do you want to go back and play today? I think of the RPG's that i love, and they are all SNES games, with the possible exception of shining force. Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, illusions of Gaea, Secret of Evermore, FF's, the list goes on and on.

Yes, sports games were superior on the genesis, no doubt. but as people have said, they are so close an so good, i feel the "test of time" really makes or breaks this argument, and to me, i'd rather bust out a SNES than a genesis to play some of those classic games

orangecrush
08-16-12, 09:05 AM
SNES and it isn't close. It has at least 5 games that would be in my all time top 30. Genesis has maybe one.

starseed1981
08-16-12, 09:26 AM
SNES without a doubt for me.

Noonan
08-16-12, 09:33 AM
SNES by a landslide. The only category that was better on Genesis was the EA Sports titles. Everything else was superior on SNES. Even the bloodless version of MK was far better than the Genesis release.

Dan
08-16-12, 09:34 AM
SNES, except for the censorship early on (ie: Mortal Kombat).

That said, I distinctly remember both systems having Jurassic Park games that were entirely different. The Genesis version was way better than the SNES version.

RichC2
08-16-12, 09:41 AM
They both had games that were superior/inferior, it depended on the time of release and game. The SNES generally did have the better graphics, but not always the better game (Shadowrun).

That said, when I get into nostalgia mode, I tend to go for both 50/50. I play old SNES games I haven't played, or replay old Genesis games I still love ( including Sega CD games like Flashback (with CG!), Lunar: Silver Star Story, Popful Mail, etc; ). It turns out missing some games when you were a kid makes it immensely difficult to get into as an adult (for me), if I had played Zelda: Link to the Past as a kid I'm sure I would have loved it and still love it, nowadays I have a problem getting half way through it. Yet I can still fire up the NES with old games I loved then (even less popular ones, like Battle of Olympus and The Guardian Legend) and love them now as well.

The SNES always seemed to be the superior console back then, it had bigger name brand games (Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, etc; ) and was the more graphically impressive system. And yet I'd wouldn't change not having one, loved what the Genesis had. Nintendo made super professional, high quality games, but I don't know that I will ever really appreciate them.

Then again, when people go on about how awesome the Playstation was, I always bring up Symphony of the Night and Intelligent Qube as the pinnacle of that console :lol:

OldBoy
08-16-12, 09:46 AM
i used to love Genesis. Had the CD too with the movie like games.

Brent L
08-16-12, 09:48 AM
While I have owned every major console, including SNES, Genesis, and all of the crazy Sega attempts at consoles back then, I am now and forever will be a Nintendo fanboy, through their ups and downs. It is still hard to flat out say which was better. I have great memories of both, but it really comes down to pretty much what it comes down to today. Back then, I would mainly play all of the Nintendo first party and exclusive games on SNES and then I would play most of the games that were released to both systems on the Genesis. This wasn't the case every time (Saturday Night Slam Masters I had for the SNES, holy crap that was a great game back then!!!), but usually that is how it went. Like the Disney games, I had them all for the Genesis, the WWE games I had for the Genesis, sports games, etc...

That's pretty much how it is today, I have Nintendo for the great first party games and the other random exclusives, and the other systems for most everything else.

In the end, which did I have the most fun with? Well, when it comes down to it, more than likely Nintendo. Those first party games, mmmmmmm, so great.

DRG
08-16-12, 09:53 AM
SNES had higher peaks, but Genesis had more depth for me. I probably had about 30 Genesis games but only about 10 SNES games. The A-list titles on the SNES (Mario, Zelda, Metroid) and a few other choice gems like Secret of Mana were fantastic, but I didn't really get into many games beyond those. I played a ton of lower level Genesis and still enjoyed many of them.

bunkaroo
08-16-12, 09:53 AM
SNES - was never a big Sega fan.

Loved Zelda ALTTP and Super Mario World. The Super Star Wars games rocked too. And let's not forget Super Punch Out.

Brent L
08-16-12, 10:05 AM
I pretty much do agree with James in that video too. The exclusive Castlevania, Contra, and Turtles games were all better on the SNES than Genesis as well. In the end I'm exactly like James, it all comes down to Link to the Past for me. Any system with that game on it instantly becomes my favorite regardless of all other factors.

UncleGramps
08-16-12, 10:10 AM
Both systems are pretty awesome, but I grew up with a SNES and not a Genesis, so it's no contest for me. That being said, my buddy growing up had a Genesis, and I have a lot of fond memories of playing Sonic games over at his house.

foxdvd
08-16-12, 10:12 AM
My vote is for the snes, but there were some great exclusive games on the Genesis...

Toejam & Earl was a lot of fun...Gunstar Heroes still is amazing....I loved the Phantasy Star games...as already said, the Shining Force games were amazing, along with many of the Shining teams games of the time...the Shinobi games were cool...

Also, not every game looked better on the Snes...although obviously most did...the ones that stand out in my memory were Aladdin and Flashback...one was about the same, and the other, Aladdin, actually looked better if my memory serves...

I never got into the later games like Vectorman, but that game still looks amazing....

slop101
08-16-12, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I had both and SNES was my preferred console of the two, by far.

slop101
08-16-12, 10:21 AM
Super Mario World was fun...but it was a show off game.
Funny, I always felt that about Sonic games, and how they just didn't have the depth of the Mario games.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
08-16-12, 11:10 AM
Also, not every game looked better on the Snes...although obviously most did...the ones that stand out in my memory were Aladdin and Flashback...one was about the same, and the other, Aladdin, actually looked better if my memory serves...

We had both in our house, and Aladdin for both systems. I'm pretty sure they were completely different games.

fumanstan
08-16-12, 11:11 AM
I really liked the Genesis, but I had to pick the SNES for all the hours of Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat 2, Mario World, and Mario Kart I played on it. Not to mention the Squaresoft RPG's.

cruzness
08-16-12, 11:11 AM
Genesis was better. Sports games were always better. The Disney games were better and I thought there was more variety on the Genesis. I do think that the exclusives were superior on the SNES but Genesis was my console of choice.

chess
08-16-12, 11:13 AM
Going back to edit my post becuase I forgot Super Metroid...easily one of the greatest of all time and the first/best of one of my favorite genres, the "Metroidvania".

Can't believe I did that.

stingermck
08-16-12, 11:15 AM
Had both, with Super NES for the edge. I had the Genesis for X-Men and the arcade port of The Punisher.

Setzer
08-16-12, 11:26 AM
Mario World
Zelda Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Mario Kart
Mario All Stars
Kirby
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy Series
Yoshi's Island
DKC

These games all hold up even today. Shining Force is the only Genesis exclusive that fits that mold for me. The Sonic games were impressive at the time but are rubbish now.

:up:

SNES for those reasons listed above.

Krayzie
08-16-12, 01:16 PM
Sega Genesis because of 4 player Mega Bomberman!

RichC2
08-16-12, 01:18 PM
Going back to edit my post becuase I forgot Super Metroid...easily one of the greatest of all time and the first/best of one of my favorite genres, the "Metroidvania".

Can't believe I did that.

It wasn't the first, but it was one of the most polished. I always got bored of SM well before it was over, that always bummed me out.

FRwL
08-16-12, 01:25 PM
Btw does anyone know a game that employed the Metroidvania BEFORE Metroid 1 ?

For the record Metroid 1 is my favorite game of all time. Yes the original.

Krayzie
08-16-12, 01:42 PM
Ah, I forgot to include Virtua Racing for the sega genesis. That game was great! Who else remembers that? I think it retailed for $90.

slop101
08-16-12, 01:45 PM
Btw does anyone know a game that employed the Metroidvania BEFORE Metroid 1 ?
Pitfall 2 on the 2600. Rudimentary, but it was one big level that you could explore and go back & forth in, pretty similar to Metroid.

RichC2
08-16-12, 01:45 PM
I think Metroid was the first one that relied on power ups to progress though, not sure. Both Metroid and Vampire Killer (Akumajō Dracula) came out in 1986 - two months apart - Vampire Killer laid the groundwork for 1987's Castlevania: Simon's Quest which was the first so-called "Metroidvania".

In contrast to the more traditional platform gameplay of the NES Castlevania, the MSX Vampire Killer was instead a more open-ended platform game.[3] The game's non-linear design had a similar structure to Metroid released that same year.[6] The game laid the foundations for the open-ended action-adventure platform gameplay later seen in the 1987 title Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, 1997 title Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and most 2D Castlevania games following it

chess
08-16-12, 02:09 PM
After Super Metroid, I could never go back to the original, though I did sort of play it as Zero Mission on the Game Boy Advance. Super Metroid and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night are the pinnacles of the genre, and all of the GBA/DS Castlevania and Metroid titles are worthy additions.

superdeluxe
08-16-12, 02:19 PM
SNES.

Based for the simple fact of the RPGs on the SNES vs the RPGS on the Sega

superdeluxe
08-16-12, 02:23 PM
Oh and Street Fighter 2. That was HUGE

DthRdrX
08-16-12, 02:29 PM
Had both consoles. I was around 13-16 at the time. I remember having both versions of Mortal Kombat 1/2, Robocop vs Terminator, Beavis and Butthead, WWF Royal Rumble and WWF Raw. The Genesis games looked embarrassingly bad in comparison to the snes versions.

I could care less if the blood in MK was green or red lol.

spainlinx0
08-16-12, 03:54 PM
Ah, I forgot to include Virtua Racing for the sega genesis. That game was great! Who else remembers that? I think it retailed for $90.

Wasn't that a 32x game though? I remember loving this game on the arcade, but it just wasn't as great on my friend's 32x.

shumway
08-16-12, 04:10 PM
It was a $99 cart on genesis. I think they had RAM built in or something. I believe they also released it on 32X though. We had the original model Sega CD and that first Christmas I asked for and received Lunar. I enjoyed many games on each system and don't know that I could pick one now. I liked Genesis for sports games and some of the earlier RPGs like Shining in the Darkness (still a personal favorite) but liked SNES for Mario games and SF II & MK II.

spainlinx0
08-16-12, 04:18 PM
I did always wonder why the 93 NFL games were so different for the two systems. You could deke the goalie for the Genesis, which was impossible for the SNES, but you could get guaranteed wraparound goals on the SNES. I preferred the Genesis version of the 93 game. However I believe that SNES and Genesis were much more similar in the 94 versions of the game.

Also the SNES MK2 was way better looking and took away the censoring. I honestly preferred the censored MK1 as well because of the extra buttons.

story
08-16-12, 04:47 PM
I never owned a Sega console but have owned every Nintendo console and the old SNES is the one that continues to bounce from home to home between my brother, my sister, and me. I could play Tetris Attack for hours. An emulation on the phone isnt the same. While the gameplay is pretty much identical, Pokemon Puzzle League on the Wii Virtual Console just isn't the same without the Tetrus Attacks music.

Really tried to enjoh my friends' Genesis console and rarely got into a game.

SNES is the way to go.

Daryl
08-16-12, 10:52 PM
Both were great, but the Genesis is the winner for me because (shamefully) it was a key part of my college experience (my grades definitely suffered a little when the local video rental store started passing out "rent a game for a week for $1 - limit 6" coupons. They had an awesome selection, too). I still remember going to a Genesis showcase on campus fall of my freshman year where they had 15-20 consoles set-up with all games that were available at/near launch. At the time, the graphics seemed like the greatest thing ever - we stayed for over 5 hours. I didn't actually buy one until two years later when I was no longer living in a dorm - bought a console plus Madden and NHL at Toys R Us (EA had a "buy 2 get 1 free in the mail" promo going on). The SNES had come out as well, but around campus most people who had one or the other had a Genesis - in fact, it was impossible to find an extra Genesis controller around town due to Madden, NHL, and Lakers vs Celtics - everybody was sold out (I was on the waitlist at Babbage's for over a month). I eventually bought an SNES a year later, but still the Genesis will always be the king for me.

Arpeggi
08-16-12, 11:12 PM
Street Fighter 2 on the SNES. Game over.

Krayzie
08-17-12, 07:45 AM

Was the snes version better than the genesis version?

Krayzie
08-17-12, 07:49 AM
I didn't actually buy one until two years later when I was no longer living in a dorm - bought a console plus Madden and NHL at Toys R Us (EA had a "buy 2 get 1 free in the mail" promo going on). .

Yeah, that promo was great! Got a free copy of Fifa in the mail. Bought NHL 94 and Madden 94.

foxdvd
08-17-12, 08:32 AM
I remember thinking Castlevania: Simon's Quest was the future of games...I think my girlfriend hated that game because she though I ignored her...

Xander
08-17-12, 08:46 AM
Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana. SNES, no question. I probably played my SNES 10x more than my Genesis. The only thing we busted the Genesis out for in high school was to play Mortal Kombat.

wlj
08-17-12, 08:51 AM
i loved them both

however, Genesis had blood in there version of Mortal Kombat 1 -- you had to enter a code but it had it. (ABACCB) I think was the button presses.

RichC2
08-17-12, 09:03 AM
ABACABB for blood, Down Up Left Left A Right Down for the hidden menu.

I played that game way too much.

wlj
08-17-12, 09:27 AM
ABACABB for blood, Down Up Left Left A Right Down for the hidden menu.

I played that game way too much.

yup, that is it.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
08-17-12, 09:42 AM
You could turn the sweat red on SNES with a Game Genie to sort of have blood. :)

shumway
08-17-12, 09:59 AM

Was the snes version better than the genesis version?

SNES had SF II, Genesis didn't have anything until they had SF II Championship edition. They released the 6 button controller at the same time. Shortly thereafter, however, SNES had SF II Turbo. I think it wasn't until SSF II that that they both had the same game, at the same time, with the same abilities, etc.

RichC2
08-17-12, 10:05 AM
SNES Version really held its value:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000035Y3K/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

shumway
08-17-12, 10:43 AM
And to think I owned that for a long time.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
08-17-12, 10:54 AM
And to think I owned that for a long time.

Look at the used prices. It's not really worth anything unless you still have it sealed the box.

Looks like used ones with the original boxes are listed for around $40. But who kept the crummy cardboard boxes from that era?

I did for a while! I had some weird complusion to save my cardboard boxes for a long time (I didn't keep the games in them, but I had a big box full of original NES and SNES boxes in my closet), until my mom finally convinced me to throw them out. Great move mom!