Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Moonrise Kingdom - October 16th (Not Criterion!)

trespoochies
08-14-12, 06:49 PM
Never got a chance to see this, but I'll probably pick this up at some point.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9314

Moonrise Kingdom Blu-ray

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has officially announced that it will release Focus Features' Moonrise Kingdom as a Blu-ray Combo Pack on October 16th. Directed by Wes Anderson (Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums), Moonrise Kingdom had its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year.

Special Features:

A Look Inside Moonrise Kingdom
Welcome to The Island of New Penzance: Bob Balaban narrates a series of guided tours from the locations of Moonrise Kingdom featuring Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, and Wes Anderson
Set Tour With Bill Murray: Bill Murray personally takes viewers on a tour of the Moonrise Kingdom sets.
Ultraviolet Copy
Digital Copy
pocket BLU
uHear

BuckNaked2k
08-14-12, 07:14 PM
So, if this release has a solid transfer (don't see why it wouldn't), and a decent offering of extras, is there any reason Criterion would ever re-release?

I see it as being kind of a Mr. Fox scenario, where there's really not much to upgrade...

Solid Snake
08-14-12, 07:46 PM
Didn't Limited have an ok release on DVD and then still went to CC?

I'll hold out hoping we get a CC.

islandclaws
08-14-12, 07:55 PM
I don't really see why a CC edition is needed. It's a new film - likely to get a solid transfer, good audio, decent extras. I could maybe see the argument for a commentary track, but I'm completely satisfied with what this is.

Solid Snake
08-14-12, 07:58 PM
Not me. Not enough features. That's probably the big thing for me w/ Anderson films..the features.

PopcornTreeCt
08-14-12, 10:21 PM
Yeah, those features are kinda pathetic.

Matthew Chmiel
08-15-12, 12:33 PM
Set Tour with Bill Murray (http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/moonrise-kingdom/featurette-bill-murray-tour)

Trailer Addict also had all of the Welcome to The Island of New Penzance videos, but it looks like they've been pulled.

All of the bonus material is from the film's ad campaign, so like everyone else, I'd wait for the eventual Criterion.

riotinmyskull
08-15-12, 12:48 PM
where's this? i'm confident a criterion will be coming.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-jNc7HuatHQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

slowcloud
08-16-12, 10:03 PM
where's this? i'm confident a criterion will be coming.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-jNc7HuatHQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, an what about this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hwzXThq9geA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Those extras are basically the website. No commentary either? I loved the movie. Saw it twice in the theater. I wrote this rave review that a fellow critic called a "sublime" appreciation:
http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2012/06/22/moonrise-kingdom-a-different-kind-of-wes-anderson-film/

I'll wait to own it and see what happens with a later edition (but if you have not seen this yet, buy)

conscience
08-17-12, 06:34 AM
The movie is just too good to pass up just for lack of features that most would just watch once.

Drop
08-17-12, 07:04 AM
I like the art Eric Chase Anderson does for the Criterion releases. It's enough for me to wait for that version.

BuckNaked2k
08-17-12, 09:04 AM
I like the art Eric Chase Anderson does for the Criterion releases. It's enough for me to wait for that version.+1 iconic stuff. :thumbsup:

Solid Snake
08-17-12, 12:31 PM
very much so. Sets the tone and mood immediately.

Gizmo
08-18-12, 11:57 AM
So no guarantee of a Criterion collection but some of you will pass buying it in hopes that Criterion will eventually release it?

TomOpus
08-18-12, 12:30 PM
I really enjoyed the movie so will pick this up. If a Criterion arrives some years from now, will pick that one up.

Solid Snake
08-18-12, 02:15 PM
So no guarantee of a Criterion collection but some of you will pass buying it in hopes that Criterion will eventually release it?

Well...since every Live action Anderson film has hit CC...why not?

Neil M.
08-18-12, 02:39 PM
Well...since every Live action Anderson film has hit CC...why not?

Also, Criterion has a good history of releasing Universal films.

slowcloud
08-18-12, 03:39 PM

No. I'm happy to have seen it twice in theaters (still my preferred mode of viewing movies-- not at home). Also the film's website has all the extras and more. If Criterion releases something with deeper extras then I'd be interested. I may get this release later for cheaper or even used for a good price.

Solid Snake
08-18-12, 05:01 PM
It's not about the preference of where to watch it...it's how much fucking bang we get for our buck. With a CC title, I'd be easily swayed into buying it just cuz they jam pack a lot of things into a lot of their products. Wes Anderson films especially are worth the buck, among many others, just for the amount of features. This BD release? It's asking too much for the full price. In this age of digital media where we are given much more than JUST the film, disregarding how amazing a film can be at times, seeing so little for a film like this....is asking a lot for some of us (me especially) to pay 20 bucks for it. Yes...we love our movies...but some of us need more than that to pay for the full price. This release doesn't warrant my money. If Anderson came out and said, "Yeah, we're not doing a Criterion this time cuz we're happy with what we have here." Well I'd be displeased in so many ways..but I'd get it..when it goes cheap. Since Anderson has a GREAT history w/ CC...it's very much expected for this to go to CC.

Matthew Chmiel
08-18-12, 05:30 PM
Wes Anderson films that currently exist as a Criterion Blu-ray:

Bottle Rocket (Sony)
Rushmore (Buena Vista)
The Royal Tenebaums (Buena Vista)
The Darjeeling Limited (20th Century Fox)

Universal films that currently exist as a Criterion Blu-ray:

Dazed and Confused
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Game
The Last Temptation of Christ
Ride with the Devil
Topsy-Turvy
Traffic
Videodrome

I feel the odds are in our favor.

slowcloud
08-18-12, 05:31 PM
It's not about the preference of where to watch it...it's how much fucking bang we get for our buck. With a CC title, I'd be easily swayed into buying it just cuz they jam pack a lot of things into a lot of their products. Wes Anderson films especially are worth the buck, among many others, just for the amount of features. This BD release? It's asking too much for the full price. In this age of digital media where we are given much more than JUST the film, disregarding how amazing a film can be at times, seeing so little for a film like this....is asking a lot for some of us (me especially) to pay 20 bucks for it. Yes...we love our movies...but some of us need more than that to pay for the full price. This release doesn't warrant my money. If Anderson came out and said, "Yeah, we're not doing a Criterion this time cuz we're happy with what we have here." Well I'd be displeased in so many ways..but I'd get it..when it goes cheap. Since Anderson has a GREAT history w/ CC...it's very much expected for this to go to CC.

I was speaking for myself, this is your argument for your preference.

Gizmo
08-18-12, 05:35 PM
Darjeeling got a Criterion BD release since Fox passed on it years before. Fox released Fantastic Mr Fox on Blu-ray....and no Criterion.

Odds are we might get it, but I'm not going to wait. Waiting only means less sales and less of a reason for Criterion to care. Moonrise did well enough at the box office that Universal may not want to let Criterion take sales away from their existing Blu-ray.

Neil M.
08-18-12, 06:33 PM
Wes Anderson films that currently exist as a Criterion Blu-ray:

Bottle Rocket (Sony)
Rushmore (Buena Vista)
The Royal Tenebaums (Buena Vista)
The Darjeeling Limited (20th Century Fox)

Universal films that currently exist as a Criterion Blu-ray:

Dazed and Confused
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Game
The Last Temptation of Christ
Ride with the Devil
Topsy-Turvy
Traffic
Videodrome

I feel the odds are in our favor.

You can add Last Days of Disco, Island of Lost Souls, Design by Living, and Being John Malkovich to the Universal list.

Solid Snake
08-18-12, 07:49 PM
Darjeeling got a Criterion BD release since Fox passed on it years before. Fox released Fantastic Mr Fox on Blu-ray....and no Criterion.

Odds are we might get it, but I'm not going to wait. Waiting only means less sales and less of a reason for Criterion to care. Moonrise did well enough at the box office that Universal may not want to let Criterion take sales away from their existing Blu-ray.

I don't think so on that bolded part. CC knows they have us by the balls when it comes to Anderson films. If CC got it...they'd make a good profit out of it much like all the other Anderson films. They know we'll ask about it...and that we'd be willing to wait for them. Smart motherfuckers...making great products and making me such a damn loyal customer. Damn you, CC.

BuckNaked2k
08-18-12, 10:01 PM
CC knows their customers, and can probably predict what a Wes Anderson film will bring in as compared to other, more obscure films.

Coral
08-19-12, 11:34 AM
Some are going to wait around to pay more for a possible Criterion release just for the supplements?

How often do you guys watch the supplements? I watch it once and I'm done with it. I can't justify watching them again when I could be watching a movie instead.

Solid Snake
08-19-12, 01:25 PM
aside from watching them...it's the factor of bang for your buck. Would I rather pay full price for a BD w/ some mediocre features or pay full price for a good healthy amount of work put into a BD? Criterion w/ Anderson films are a good buy. You get your full price w/ the material in there.

spartickes
08-19-12, 04:50 PM
Some are going to wait around to pay more for a possible Criterion release just for the supplements?

How often do you guys watch the supplements? I watch it once and I'm done with it. I can't justify watching them again when I could be watching a movie instead.

I have to say it entirely depends on what the supplements are. CC has a good track record of including pieces that expand my understanding of the movie, the era it was created in, analysis of how it impacted popular culture or just the influence it had on other films and filmmakers.

As a filmmaker myself I often use commentaries and behind the scenes footage to pick up tips and tricks, or just to expand my horizons and to try new things. The supplements to most mainstream titles don't interest me, the usual puff pieces and everyone saying how great it was to work with everyone else. Those I agree are pretty worthless to watch more than once. But I have watched Kiss Me Deadly 5 times since I picked it up at the CC sale they had a while back. 3 times with the commentary. The Alex Cox on Kiss Me Deadly piece is pretty great too. CC is among the, if not THE best at putting this kind of deep, thoughtful, and inspiring information on disc for us.

I don't always watch a movie just to watch a movie. It's not about the volume of films I can shove into my brain. It's about understanding them, the art and work behind them and the passions, triumphs and failures of the people who make them.

Personally I liken it to reading liner notes. I have friends who love music, who even play in bands around town, who don't care to read the liner notes of their favorite albums. I've always been one to scrounge around and find out who actually wrote that song, or who's really playing bass on this track. Some people like the meta aspect of this sort of deep diving, and some people couldn't care less. Neither side is right, but personally I prefer digging deep and finding out what makes the art that I love tick.

Matthew Chmiel
08-19-12, 11:46 PM
For Anderson's films? Yes. The man has provided some of the best Criterion releases for both DVD and Blu-ray. Commentaries, documentaries, short films, deleted scenes, archival footage, advertising material, etc. All of his releases through Criterion have been nothing short of top notch in terms of audio and video quality, but also quality bonus material.

Drop
08-22-12, 01:18 PM
There are other ways to see Moonrise Kingdom while one waits for the CC version to come out. One can rent it or borrow it from a friend. I'd be shocked if it never came to the CC.

manicsounds
10-08-12, 08:12 AM
I just watched the disc, only 12 minutes of featurettes on the disc, all just puff pieces, nothing in depth. Picture and Sound were great, but the ending church scene seemed too dark. I don't know if it looked like that theatrically.

Solid Snake
10-08-12, 12:48 PM
Still waiting for the CC version.

RobLutter
10-08-12, 12:51 PM
Waiting for Criterion. STILL waiting for Fantastic Mr. Fox.

LPMA
10-08-12, 12:59 PM
Waiting for Criterion. STILL waiting for Fantastic Mr. Fox.

CC has never released an animated film have they?

Josh Z
10-08-12, 01:01 PM
CC has never released an animated film have they?

Akira, on Laserdisc.

musick
10-17-12, 11:20 PM
anyone have a digital copy code they won't be using?

Throwing Copper
10-18-12, 04:57 AM
Does everyone think there will be a Criterion of this film at some point? I hate to buy this now (and I love the film) only to buy the good version later.

thanks.

I didn't know if CC had some unwritten deal with Wes Anderson or something.

LPMA
10-18-12, 07:47 AM
I don't think anyone will be able to give you a definite answer. The consensus seems to be that it's likely the film will head to CC, given they've released all his other films bar Mr. Fox.

JayDerek
10-18-12, 08:11 AM
I don't think anyone will be able to give you a definite answer. The consensus seems to be that it's likely the film will head to CC, given they've released all his other films bar Mr. Fox.

this.

Life Aquatic needs to be released first...

trespoochies
10-18-12, 03:40 PM
Please redeem those codes....very little time left.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii141/trespoochies/897C52CF-C672-418E-8808-0A70FBF6CA03-5439-000002D41B09B6B0.jpg

Solid Snake
10-18-12, 03:44 PM
goddamn

BuckNaked2k
10-18-12, 05:00 PM
Just after the election!

LPMA
10-18-12, 05:40 PM
this.

Life Aquatic needs to be released first...

They have though? (Just not on blu).

PopcornTreeCt
10-18-12, 06:31 PM
I watched it. Loved it again. If Criterion releases it I'll buy it again.

BuckNaked2k
10-18-12, 09:24 PM
I watched it. Loved it again. If Criterion releases it I'll buy it again.I watched it, loved it, sold it. Will add to my collection if Criterion releases someday.